What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

nomadjack wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Listening to this.

https://soundcloud.com/betweenthewars/wont-go-quietly

new album by Between the Wars, band my cousin is in. Due to be released on St Patricks day, they've put the whole album up here. Best studio album they've made, really captures their sound.

It's Celtic Punk, same genre as the Dropkick Murphies and a few others.

Really like the version in here of "I'll dance on your grave Mrs Thatcher" featuring John McCullagh singing with Jay. My cuz, Stoom, really gives the bass guitar a thumping at the start.

Do yourself a favour, have a listen.
Did you catch Floggin Molly at Soundwave? They were shit hot.
Nah, I missed them. Got there later than I planned and spent the first 30 minutes at the souvenir stand with my daughter and missed them.

Heard some of them as we were heading that way, going to have to youtube some more of their stuff.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Memories - David Guetta
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I've lost it, Jezza. Are we still talking about [quoteyou]What if he or she don't have it to give ?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I know a lot of Bobs.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Jet Airliner, Fly Like an Eagle, The Joker, Rock 'N Me, Take the Money and Run, Jungle Love etc - all in my head, since I can't actually hear through my left ear today after last night's Steve Miller Band/Carlos Santana concert.

A very good night (with Steve's band on stage for about 1.5 hours and then Santana on for another 2), except that the guy on the desk had the PA pushed past distortion point through the first part of Santana's set, hence the hearing loss.

The highlight for me was seeing and hearing Steve play with Santana on a couple of pieces, including an hommage to Cream (Sunshine of Your Love, of course - a much livelier outing than the Rob Thomas duet Carlos did on "Guitar Heaven"). If you needed a wedding band to do Eric Clapton covers, you couldn't go much past these guys :lol: . Santana has that trademark, quite unmistakeable sound and a flair for pyrotechnical display, whereas Miller, the consummate professional, can do absolutely anything with a guitar - (and has been, for a bit over 50 years). Miller's attention to the sound of his various guitars - and his control of all of them - is brilliant.

It was also good to hear Miller play three numbers, unaccompanied, on his steel string acoustic guitar. Among those, he sang a lovely version of Wild Mountain Honey, although realising that I was hearing it without Norton Buffalo's beautiful harmony singing for the first time (Norton sadly passed away a couple of years ago) was a sad moment. Norton's replacement, Sonny Charles (who himself was an R&B stand-out with the Checkmates in the 60's, even before Miller's group first seriously charted) is, however, a classic blues frontman and a fine singer in his own right. Of course, Sonny doesn't play harmonica as well, like Norton did, but there's not too many who can do both well.

Santana played all the usual things (slipping in the theme from "Waltzing Matilda" to the solo from "Black Magic Woman" and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" into "Soul Sacrifice - no mean feat, frankly). His touring band is seriously hot (the usual Santana wall of percussion, Tommy Anthony helping out on guitar - not that Carlos really needs any, a very fine bass player - Benny Rietveld, Dave Matthews on keyboards, Jeff Cressman and Bill Ortiz on brass and dual vocalists Andy Vargas and Tony Lindsay), - so if you just want to hear good playing, there's plenty on stage at a Santana concert. Personally, I would rather hear Matthews put more of his own soul into his organ solos but I suppose it's difficult to avoid Gregg Rolie's masterful lines from the early Santana albums and people probably expect them (after all, my own interest in Santana was first kindled not by Carlos' guitar but by hearing the magic sound of Rolie's keyboards on "Evil Ways" and "Soul Sacrifice" when I was a boy).

Anyway, if you were thinking about going to any of the music festivals that are coming up around the country to hear either of these groups (among many others), they are both still in very fine form and certainly well worth seeing (if their music is to your taste).
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Here's one for the metal fans.

I've been listening for most of the day to the "deluxe" re-issue of the Fly Like an Eagle CD. The second disc is a (region 1) DVD containing a whole heap of stuff, including an entire concert from San Francisco a few years ago. I put on Stevie's cover of Crossroads (it's actually a medley which starts and ends with the theme from Rolling and Tumbling, for anyone who cares about these things) because I couldn't wait to see it - about half way through (just on 2 minutes and 40s), the funny little, unassuming guy in the hat, at the back, on the right takes over the solo work from Steve and starts shredding. Young Mr Satriani, ladies and gentlemen! Since I expect most of you will never get the album, here's a link to the Youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FT4I0OSbw

Now, tell me you wouldn't sell your soul to the Devil to play like that!
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Guy is good. Heard of him several times over the years, never actually seen much of his work.

Guy is real good.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Yuksek - On a Train
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Got the vinyl out again & played on the turntable

(For those interested: Denon DP56L, Valve amp - Prima Luna Prologue 1 & Spendor SP2 Speakers)

1. Wyndham Hill Collection: Chiarascura (Haven't heard since mid 1980's) &

2. The Best of Jimmy Smith Verve records: (Got my mojo working' babe) great stuff from the 50's & early 60's

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBFmFygqllc

Wonderful.
Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote: ... several Yes albums form part of my inherited record collection (I haven't put them on yet, but I'll certainly give them a listen now). ...
I should have offered the caveat that I always thought the Cult of Wakeman was a bit over-done and I didn't much listen to Yes back then. But give it 40 years of critical distance, the lapsing of the Yes vs ELP Controversy and a son who makes me listen over and over to Steve Howe's guitar playing (which is really quite remarkable) and Yes has grown on me a little.
I'm a Yes man :D

Still love roundabout. Saw Wakeman at the Sidanee Myer Music Bowl in the mid 1970's.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman

Post by 3.14159 »

I remember that concert^^^ Wakeman had a big red cape, when the stage was lit it looked like the decent into Hades.
i lived only a tram ride away and watched from outside the wire fence.
It was pretty damn good.

Saw Santana and Fleetwood Mac (amongst others) R-october at Calder race-way a year or two later.
Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote: ... several Yes albums form part of my inherited record collection (I haven't put them on yet, but I'll certainly give them a listen now). ...
I should have offered the caveat that I always thought the Cult of Wakeman was a bit over-done and I didn't much listen to Yes back then. But give it 40 years of critical distance, the lapsing of the Yes vs ELP Controversy and a son who makes me listen over and over to Steve Howe's guitar playing (which is really quite remarkable) and Yes has grown on me a little.

Still love roundabout. Saw Wakeman at the Sidanee Myer Music Bowl in the mid 1970's.
Did he bring his left hand on the tour, or did it remain at home (as it generally did when he was in the studio)? :lol:

I don't really mind Wakeman (and, eg, quite like his accompaniment on "Morning has Broken"). You will probably remember, though, that there was a silly argument back in the day about whether Wakeman or Emerson was the better keyboardist. As a little tacker, I was firmly in the Keith Emerson camp. Things haven't changed much in the ensuing 40 years - as a pianist, I still admire Emerson. As I said in another thread, "The best that can be said about the odious comparison between Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman is that Yes had a better lead guitarist." See, eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyrVL8bKOI

Steve Howe stands, of course, in a completely different position (in my opinion) to Wakeman - a giant among guitarists. His inventive playing on Roundabout is remarkably beautiful. Strange to think that if Fripp had taken up the offer to join Yes when Peter Banks left, Howe might never have played on seminal tracks like that.
watt price tully

Roar Power wrote:I remember that concert^^^ Wakeman had a big red cape, when the stage was lit it looked like the decent into Hades.
i lived only a tram ride away and watched from outside the wire fence.
It was pretty damn good.

Saw Santana and Fleetwood Mac (amongst others) R-october at Calder race-way a year or two later.
Similar story. I was in form 5 or 6 I think. Behind the fence. Next to some pissed & drug affected bikies, one of them fell to the ground & then a group of them undid their flies & pissed all over him - a friend & I were trying to make a quick exit without attracting attention!

I was never too sure if that was the groups mating ritual, gesture of affection or them just being anti-social d*ckheads (in the nicest possible way of course)
watt price tully

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote: I should have offered the caveat that I always thought the Cult of Wakeman was a bit over-done and I didn't much listen to Yes back then. But give it 40 years of critical distance, the lapsing of the Yes vs ELP Controversy and a son who makes me listen over and over to Steve Howe's guitar playing (which is really quite remarkable) and Yes has grown on me a little.

Did he bring his left hand on the tour, or did it remain at home (as it generally did when he was in the studio)? :lol:

I don't really mind Wakeman (and, eg, quite like his accompaniment on "Morning has Broken"). You will probably remember, though, that there was a silly argument back in the day about whether Wakeman or Emerson was the better keyboardist. As a little tacker, I was firmly in the Keith Emerson camp. Things haven't changed much in the ensuing 40 years - as a pianist, I still admire Emerson. As I said in another thread, "The best that can be said about the odious comparison between Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman is that Yes had a better lead guitarist." See, eg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyrVL8bKOI

Steve Howe stands, of course, in a completely different position (in my opinion) to Wakeman - a giant among guitarists. His inventive playing on Roundabout is remarkably beautiful. Strange to think that if Fripp had taken up the offer to join Yes when Peter Banks left, Howe might never have played on seminal tracks like that.
Couldn't tell from where I was standing & moving which hand(s) he was using. (see above)

Brilliant youtube of emerson playing piano P4S :D :D .

Have an LP or 2 by Robert Fripp & with Robert Fripp. In terms of Keyboards I also like Tony Banks of Genesis fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _sxe4s8EqA

I first heard "Yes" on a old Sony rectangular cassette deck (my older brothers) & I thought that was soo cool at the time!