Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

If they voted now, Scott would have won.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Why? If you've got all the best players and you keep making Grand Finals, eventually you're going to win one, even if you're a useless cock-up who has no idea how to coach.

The AFL fraternity would take any possible excuse to avoid awarding anything to anyone associated with Collingwood. The Coach won Coach of the Year because there was no viable alternative. Also, Scott is a complete %$^%$, just quietly.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:Why? If you've got all the best players and you keep making Grand Finals, eventually you're going to win one, even if you're a useless cock-up who has no idea how to coach.

The AFL fraternity would take any possible excuse to avoid awarding anything to anyone associated with Collingwood. The Coach won Coach of the Year because there was no viable alternative. Also, Scott is a complete %$^%$$%, just quietly.
truth
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Episode 5

Who got the Norm Smith

Did the Cats look smick going up to collect their medals

Why do I ask. I turned it off cos seeing those smug arse,s Selwood and Dunderfieid strutting
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

F.U.N

Post by Damien »

Listening to all the players tonight, the recurring theme about this year under Fly is FUN.

The players have loved this season more than any other, thanks to Craig McRae and his coaches. People who love their work, succeed in their work. The players are having fun. The club is where they want to be. It’s infectious. They’ve given us members good fun this year too and next year could be even more fun for everyone. Congrats to all the award winners tonight. Bring on next season. Go Pies.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

I noticed this too.

Gotta say this video came to mind: https://youtu.be/0bomkgXeDkE?t=141
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Presti35 wrote:I noticed this too.

Gotta say this video came to mind: https://youtu.be/0bomkgXeDkE?t=141
Wow...just watched it.
The guy who said: "My mother still writes to me regularly..." - was that Robert De Niro, fresh from Taxi Driver??
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Magpietothemax wrote:The guy who said: "My mother still writes to me regularly..." - was that Robert De Niro, fresh from Taxi Driver??
Are you talkin' to me...?
Is that what you doin...?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

It's a common theme and transcends all aspects of the club through the players to the supporters.

I said it last week after Fly won the Coach of the Year award.
Never in doubt.

Exceptional performance from him and his assistants to get this team from 17th to 3rd.

Most importantly, Craig has brought back the fun and excitement at Collingwood.
viewtopic.php?p=2123696#2123696
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

I know it’s a long time til next season, but I’m curious to see how the culture/mood at the club can continue to grow and develop. There’s no doubt the fresh approach from the new coaches got a lot more from the team in ‘22. Will that enthusiasm for something new and different have the same effect next year? Hopefully the players can take the momentum and build on it, but I think it can be hard to maintain the excitement of a new relationship over time.

I think we might have to get by a bit more on talent next year as the glow potentially fades a little bit. Makes this trade period so important.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Probably now is a good time to tell the story of one of Flys bonding activities through the season. When McRae first got to the club, one of the first things he said to the players was to treat every staff member and volunteer as you would your own family member. He’s always been big on players being humble and treating others less athletically gifted by the gods, as equals.
He encouraged players to ask questions and listen to other peoples stories around the club. So at around the time of the bye, Fly organised a trivia night for the players where the questions were all centred around the employees and volunteers of the club. Stuff like “ what’s the receptionists daughters name “ ( example only ) There were no winners or prizes but the aim was to remind the players of the importance of those values. ( it’s also served as a backhander to those who finished at the back of the pack )

It’s easy to think making players happy automatically equates to a happy club but the coaching group also understands that happy and invested employees / staffers are equally important ( and all of it straight from the Richmond playbook )
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Hear hear Damien!

Pies2016, extends to player/coach appreciation of supporters. Been a lot more of that this year. I remember Pendles saying how much he missed the crowd. It takes a team to make an elite footballer, not just that individual. Side by side!

Now I’m singing Pies Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I think it’s also about getting the balance right between fun and the job at
hand. I don’t think it was fun for anyone losing the finals and it’s a serious issue to learn from losses. Great teams function in this environment. Next season will present new challenges. If we do the hard stuff early and win, then we can have some fun on the way. The “fun” ball is in their court.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

How Craig McRae is reshaping the Collingwood

Post by LaurieHolden »

Came across this article from last year, good article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-29/ ... /101192714
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
watt price tully

Craig McCrae is the AFL’s Ted Lasso

Post by watt price tully »

Lovely article in todays Age:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why ... 5cqyp.html

And if you haven’t seen it, Ted Lasso is a lovely TV series too, a gorgeous show on Apple TV. Trailer of Series 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7EIiohs6U
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman