Random News Stories

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Hahahaha. I know what you mean. I have Bloomberg on in the background while working, but if I literally do start focusing on it during the day my time on this earth will be drawing to a close.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

I had some sexy time with my music teacher in high school. I was 15, she was 27. Not sure if she 'groomed' me... I don't think I've tried that.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »

:shock:

Are there any circumstances where you would report her to the police now? Or, to put it in another way, if you heard about the same thing happening to someone else, would you advise them to do so?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Crikey. What's your feelings on it now, Skids?
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

I was 17 and had extra tuition from my Maths teacher. My parents were happy my grades went up. I was happy to receive extra attention. Under today's laws, she's going to jail.
Skids

Post by Skids »

pietillidie wrote:^Crikey. What's your feelings on it now, Skids?
Nothing really, it happened, I kept it to myself and never heard any other talk about her. It was great.
Skids

Post by Skids »

David wrote::shock:

Are there any circumstances where you would report her to the police now? Or, to put it in another way, if you heard about the same thing happening to someone else, would you advise them to do so?
No way. It was a bit of harmless fun. I looked older when I was 15, never got asked for ID buying booze or going into pubs. She was a cool chick. 6 months later I was an apprentice plumber. Old enough to pay taxes, old enough to make my own decisions was the way I saw it.

I also hooked up with my basketball coaches fiancé... now THAT was awkward. Especially the part where he had me by the throat against the wall.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Okay I’m courting a fair bit of controversy here but l’ll ask the question anyway. Does the gender of either the victim or the perpetrator matter when it comes to prosecution? Does age play a part in differentiating between the two participants? I presume the question of consent would come down to the “he says, she says” conundrum? Any wonder that this type of legal battle is so incredibly complicated and difficult to discern accurately, especially if dishonesty plays a part.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

My view, the genders shouldn't matter but my belief is a male teacher is more likely to be viewed as predatory than a female.

Teens can be groomed by a predatory teacher but equally it's been known for the student to be the one to actively seek the relationship. In that situation, the Teacher (who is supposed to be the adult and aware of their responsibilities) to not join in.

My eldest cousin married one of his high school teachers in the late 70's, when I was in Yr 12 it was common knowledge that a girl in my year was having an affair with her Art teacher (who's wife was the librarian) and after she finished school he left his wife and they shacked up together.

A good 20 years ago my Neighbours eldest son (16) was having an affair with his married teacher who was about the same age as his Mum. It was a big deal in the media at the time, because his Mum was the one who figured what happened and reported it, the young bloke cracked it with his mum, left home and cut communication with her. Last thing I heard he'd moved to Qld to be a sparky.

It's all messy when you look at different variations, but the law is supposed to protect the vulnerable, so teachers just need to keep their pants on and zipped.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids

Post by Skids »

I heard an interesting conversation on the radio the other day. Not sure who they were interviewing, but the conversation was around employers unable to find young people who can actually communicate with customers.

I've noticed this so many times. You're waiting to be served and instead of the person behind the counter acknowledging you, saying something along the lines of "I'll be with you in a moment"... they don't even make eye contact. Even the neighbours kids (late teens, early 20's) who I've known for years, struggle to say hello and never are the initiators of conversation.

I was with a younger bloke (late 20's) in a pub once a few years back and he was fanging to say something to the barmaid. He carried on about how he could text chicks no worries, but actually talking to them gave him anxiety. I went with him up to the bar and broke the ice, then he totally stuffed it with a stupid comment.

Such a different world, in such a short time.
At 10 years old (late 70's) I was jumping on a train into the city after to school to hand out pamphlets in Hay St mall until dark for a few bucks every 100. Mowing the lawn (on a 1/4 acre corner block) and chopping fire wood every week.
At 11/12 I had a job on the back of a milk truck, then had a daily newspaper round and was getting dropped on a city corner at 10pm on Saturday nights to sell the Sunday Times 1st edition.
At 15 I was an apprentice plumber having tequila slammers at the pub after work on a Friday.
Communication (verbal) was essential.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

You can't compare how we grew up to the current "ME" generation.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Each new generation is just the product of the environment and culture they were raised in. No point blaming them for how they were raised.

Our generation did stuff as kids that would have the parents branded unfit today.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Skids wrote:I heard an interesting conversation on the radio the other day. Not sure who they were interviewing, but the conversation was around employers unable to find young people who can actually communicate with customers.

I've noticed this so many times. You're waiting to be served and instead of the person behind the counter acknowledging you, saying something along the lines of "I'll be with you in a moment"... they don't even make eye contact. Even the neighbours kids (late teens, early 20's) who I've known for years, struggle to say hello and never are the initiators of conversation.

I was with a younger bloke (late 20's) in a pub once a few years back and he was fanging to say something to the barmaid. He carried on about how he could text chicks no worries, but actually talking to them gave him anxiety. I went with him up to the bar and broke the ice, then he totally stuffed it with a stupid comment.

Such a different world, in such a short time.
At 10 years old (late 70's) I was jumping on a train into the city after to school to hand out pamphlets in Hay St mall until dark for a few bucks every 100. Mowing the lawn (on a 1/4 acre corner block) and chopping fire wood every week.
At 11/12 I had a job on the back of a milk truck, then had a daily newspaper round and was getting dropped on a city corner at 10pm on Saturday nights to sell the Sunday Times 1st edition.
At 15 I was an apprentice plumber having tequila slammers at the pub after work on a Friday.
Communication (verbal) was essential.
It seems like a symptom of society becoming ever more atomised, individualistic and less community-oriented. No wonder so many people are lonely, don't know how to relate to one another, and focus on personal success and getting ahead as opposed to doing things for the good of society. It's not a "me" generation so much as a "me" culture, and it's not hard to see why that is.

People can defend or criticise the 1980s Thatcher/Reagan political shift, but they can't deny that this is an inevitable consequence of that (and all the social trends that led up to it). Thatcher said it herself: "There is no such thing as society." Going back the other way and reclaiming community is going to need less selfish, consumerist and money-focused thinking, and a lot more focus on others' well-being. In the long run, we'll be much happier that way.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Godfrey's has gone into administration.

Not surprising and I am surprised they still exist. Not sure how a stand alone vacuum retailer could survive.

I'd suggest 90% of people buy the following vacuums (not in order):
Dyson
Robovac
Kmart
Fighting against the objectification of woman.