George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Things are getting pretty scary over there. Worry this might lead to further escalation (a lot of rhetoric online from right-wingers praising the shooter and suggesting the victims had it coming).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-26/ ... d/12599002
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting article.

The 2 things that stood out for me was

1. How the hell did they miss with 3/7 shots at basically <10cm range?
2. The guy had a knife in his car. Big freaking deal. So do I. If you have you're gun drawn and keep a short distance you have ample time to shoot him if he grabs the knife.

I really don't have a lot of interest in the difference between media sources and how they portray the dickhead teenager who apparently shot 2 protestors.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

If you watch the video of the guy who shot the protestors he approaches the cops with his rifle and they don't seem to be bothered by him. I bet if a black guy approached them with a gun the cops would be a lot more elevated.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

There may be a reason why the cops aren't fussed, other than his skin tone. Without clear audio, it's just conjecture.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:I've seen the footage of the black guy getting shot a few times. OK the cops were called for a domestic issue, I don't know the details, I don't know if he was allowed to take his kids or not, but nothing about that scene could justify the way he was just grabbed and shot in the back multiple times at point blank range.
yeah i just watched it, unbelievable. im guessing the defence will be the way he just walked away from the cops to the drivers side, with a gun pointing right at him (i mean WTAF was he thinking!) they figured he has a bloody uzi in there or something, but thats just mindblowing, so out of control, no excuse, the whole thing.

good on the basketballers for refusing to play, great shirts too, BLACK all the time.

where the hell will this end
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

stui magpie wrote:There may be a reason why the cops aren't fussed, other than his skin tone. Without clear audio, it's just conjecture.
That and the fact he is walking with his hands up and clearly offering no threat to the police.

Unlike other people who are running away from armed cops and making a move for a weapon.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

stui magpie wrote:There may be a reason why the cops aren't fussed, other than his skin tone. Without clear audio, it's just conjecture.
Maybe. Maybe not. But in the current climate it begs the question.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Consider the question begged, I have NFI
David

Post by David »

Are we all regularly watching snuff movies these days? I think it’s clearly good that this footage is out there and not buried under police paperwork, but shit sure is pretty bleak right now.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Federal officials stockpiled munitions, sought ‘heat ray’ device before clearing Lafayette Square, whistleblower says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... story.html

"Hours before law enforcement forcibly cleared protesters from Lafayette Square in early June amid protests over the police killing of George Floyd, federal officials began to stockpile ammunition and seek devices that could emit deafening sounds and make anyone within range feel like their skin is on fire, according to an Army National Guard major who was there.

The technology, also called a “heat ray,” was developed to disperse large crowds in the early 2000s but was shelved amid concerns about its effectiveness, safety and the ethics of using it on human beings."
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-09/ ... e/13228890
Former police officer Derek Chauvin's murder trial for the death of George Floyd has been delayed for at least a day as the judge contends with a last-minute order by a higher court to reconsider adding an additional murder charge.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Huh?

Can you murder someone twice?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

It's like a prosecution insurance policy. I don't think it works in Australia.

It's like if that happened here, charging him with Murder, Manslaughter and Assault, being prepared to take whatever the highest one you can prove and adding them all up at sentencing.
David

Post by David »

think positive

Post by think positive »

i guess the sheer quantity of killings both ways makes it very hard:
january this year, 20 fatal police shootings, only 1 is not explained, it was a white man, and maybe the lady at the capitol building, however, if your involved in something like that, you really are taking your chances,

now check this out:
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... led?page=1

i counted for you, from January 1st to today 101 police officers have been shot, 32 of them fatally.

want to see just how bad the gun damage is?
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/charts-and-maps

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repo ... hs?page=79
for 2021 - there are 80 pages. 80. in 69 days. actually im wrong, it actually starts on january 23. 80 pages of deaths in 47 days.

in 69 days 7,942 people are dead from a bullet, 6,033 injured,

i just watched the series Dope on netflix, along with the drugs are the guns. mind boggling. the underbelly of the US is terrifying,

the guns gotta go