Post Match - Pies wallop Lions - How sweet it is !! Comments

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Leonin5=star

Post by Leonin5=star »

weed that report was bloody brilliant..i agree wholeheartedly! shaw cole, johnno were all great!
nitric

Post by nitric »

I'm just about bust in two from laughing.

The Flour Power (Powder Puffs) have choked yet again, setting up a possible Collingwood v Sydney GF.

We have flogged our way through Adelaide, Sydney, Essendon and Brisbane while the Powder Puff Fairies yawned their way from win to win. Remember how they didn't want to sing their club song? I bet the clowns wish they could sing it tonight.

Attendances? Good grief. After next week it won't matter any more. Both Adelaide clubs will go the same way both Perth clubs went. If they won't support their team, well that's an SA problem.

As for our team? Bloody marvellous. Every single one of them.

As I writhed in agony in the third quarter, my wife, that singularly insightful individual unencumbered by any fascination for things football, remarked: I don't know why you are so worried. Collingwood are playing better football, aren't they? And when I thought about it... yeah! Too right they were.

I just KNEW that once we hit the front, we would not be headed.

And sure there were some errors. Some skill errors. Some players making different contributions. But they ALL made contributions and you have to remember that with the intensity of that game, players from BOTH sides are going to make mistakes. Our lads made fewer when it counted.

They are well coached, well drilled and well led. On and off the field.

They are a great team.

Carn the Pies!
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

I am speechless, never before have I enjoyed a victory than that of Saturday Nights over the Carrara Cowboys.....I will bask in the sunshine my friends.....let all of the Pies in QLD stick it up em all week long....

Cheers

CAN YOU FEEL IT????????
jmor69

Post by jmor69 »

Peppermint Pattie wrote:I loved that bump from Tex when his shoulder whacked Acne-Manis in the neck :lol: :lol: :lol: ...stupendos!
That wasn't a bump, Tex farkin bashed him and I luved evry minute of it. So much so that I took the time to show my wife a frame by frame replay.

A great win Pies, although I think I'll being seeing a doctor about the heart condition that you gave me on Sat night. Buckley for PM!
red scorpion45

Post by red scorpion45 »

Gday All
First time I've been on this site,was that bloody inspired by our awesome win that I got online and came across Nicks,what an excellent site you will see a lot more of me now.Gone for the pies for 20 years and living in QLD have to put up with all the lions crap,the only time your side gets a mention in the papers is when you play them which made our win even sweeter.Chris Tarrant is a bloody legend and noone can go with him at the moment,getting him out of the goal square and leading down the ground is the way to go,how about that free kick reversal in the last quarter against him.
Ed from WA

welcome red

Post by Ed from WA »

Yes us interstaters dont hear much except thru these sites.
I said in the match report that it was one of most ridiculous decision ever made by a maggot.
rex hunt agreed with us too on his show on sunday.
when even rex thinks we are gettin a raw deal it must bebad.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Absolutely fantastic win. Pretty much beat them all night but let ourselves down by not capitalising on opportunities at goal.
How awesome was Bux. The look on his face when he came down the race, he was so fired up. BOG.
Benny J in the second half was great as was woey. Josh was outstanding, 12 clearances, Bux with 8 (?).
For a team as young as ours to get up over those ageing lions is just fantastic and to have Cole, Lokan, Shaw, Tex and Kinnear playing their first finals game is just awesome. Dids x2 goals, and the hand to the ear, how great was that. The crowd was awesome and to sing the song with the boys after the game, that was the best ever.
Bux - 3
Josh - 2
Benny J - 1
joffa_the_man_in_gold

Post by joffa_the_man_in_gold »

the_weed wrote:The Weed Report

First, an apology for the lack of Weed Reports for the last several weeks. Too much other writing to do - but this match, and the finals, is an appropriate place to pick up wherever it was I left off...

I think it's important at this point to offer congratulations to all at the club. That might seem premature to those who will only accept a premiership, but the fact is we have confirmed beyond any doubt we are a better team than last year - quicker out of defence, more flexible in attack and in the midfield, and more mature in the mind.

Whatever happens now, this club can approach the next three years - not just the next three weeks - confident of achieving the ultimate success. That is a tribute to the ability of many people, from Eddie and Mick to Noel Judkins' recruiting brilliance and also David Buttifant, who has helped deliver a generally excellent run with injury - note, for example, how few soft-tissue injuries our players have suffered.

Of course, it's also a tribute to the players, not just the 22 who took the field last night but the 40-plus who have worn the club colours in the past three years. All have played their part, and my heart goes out to the McGoughs, Molloys and Freeborns who face the prospect of missing out after giving so much.

There's also the cheer squad. Joffa and I don't always agree on things, but in the donning of the jacket, the winners circle, the speeches at the Cricketers, the squad have put in place rituals that will last for years and give everyone a sense of involvement. I'm sure it's helped forge stronger connections with the playing group and they feed off this energy.

Which brings me, in my usual long-winded way, to the game. When Diddy-Wah Didak kicked that final, nerveless goal from outside the boundary, he actually cupped his hand to his ear while looking directly to the cheer squad. Let me hear you, he was saying. Imagine the energy forcefield this creates in the big games. It is an intimidating atmosphere for any opposition.

Didak's last 10 minutes are a good encapsulation of the team's performance. With the exception of Andrew Williams, who couldn't fire a shot all night, every player made a mark. Tex Walker didn't have a big game but his crunch on Jason Akermanis spoke volumes. This kid has hunger, as well as talent and a big body.

But Didak was the secret weapon. He was held back to deliver the final blows and he didn't just have the fresh legs to make sure he hit the target - he also had the skill and the poise.

Again, our name players were all good. Buckley, Tarrant, and Fraser were uniformly terrific and Fraser's rucking against Clark Keating was one of the big differences between this match and the round 19 clash. Burns and Woewodin, quiet to half time, made telling contributions in the second. The magnificent Anthony Rocca should have had three goals, but was inexplicably robbed of two clean and clear marks. Had those marks been paid, the press would be saying he won his battle with Mal Michael today.

Again, though, it wasn't the big guns who got us home in the end. It was the supporting contributions from the likes of Ben Johnson, Richard Cole, Rhyce Shaw and Heath Scotland. Ben Kinnear, as incredible as it sounds, could very well end up wearing the mantle of Collingwood Premiership Player. No one would have thought it at the start of the season or at the end of round 22, but there he was, providing a target and kicking cleanly.

There can be no doubts now about the abilities of all of these much-questioned players to cut it at the very highest level. I thought Rhyce Shaw showed great mental toughness, coming back from one of his worst games to play one of his best and most important. The run he gave us off half-back was critical in the second half, as the play swung back and forth between each 50 metre line. He also showed courage, throwing his skinny body into the fray to defend whenever called upon.

Our defence generally, again, was superb. Not only did they keep Brisbane to seven goals but they forced them into low-percentage shots from out wide. Special mention to Simon Prestigiacomo, who did what no one else managed and finally threw some kind of blanket over Jonathan Brown, who several times threatened to win the game off his own boot. Shane Wakelin, too, was brilliant on Alastair Lynch despite conceding early goals when our backline was under enormous pressure.

Don't underestimate how good Brisbane were and still are. Sure, they had injuries and Voss was barely at 50 percent. But they have out-and-out champions all over the field, a genuine new superstar in Brown, and so many times in the first two and a bit quarters they threatened to take the match away from us through sheer individual brilliance.

But Collingwood are not a team of champions. They are a champion team, and our boys won because within the side - and within the club, from the administration to the cheer squad - there is a soul and a spirit that the pathetic Port Power can only attempt to approximate. Instead they are a feeble, wooden copy, as original as a fascimile and as soft as a rotten tomato.

In finals, you need the real ingredients for success. Last night and today showed that this year's genuine premiership favourites are wearing black and white, not teal.

Votes:

Buckley 3
Tarrant 2
Fraser 1, with apologies to Johnno (ur a champ!) and Scoots.

The Weed
Its good how we can all disagree with each other at times and still have love in the air :)
Collingwood today, Collingwood tomorrow,Collingwood forever... we'll always do things the collingwood way... side by side we stick together to uphold the greatest name in football.

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
AnthonyC
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AnthonyC »

Sensational win! Thought it was pretty much a reverse of our early season game, i.e. they had chances to almost put us away in the 2nd and didn't. We came back and punished them for most of the mistakes that they made. Great pressure game that will hold us in good stead. Would much rather play a hard contested game than an easy stroll. The last 5 weeks (including the earlier loss to the brians) have been invaluable in getting our guys in the right frame of mind to tackle September. Buckley was sensational. Have we lost a game when Benny J has kicked a goal? Tazza just ran all night, is there another forward in the comp that chases as hard?

At the end of the game, shouted very loudly as to where the brians could stick the Rnd. 19 win.
Go Pies!
jmor69

Post by jmor69 »

red scorpion45 wrote:Gday All
First time I've been on this site,was that bloody inspired by our awesome win that I got online and came across Nicks,what an excellent site you will see a lot more of me now.Gone for the pies for 20 years and living in QLD have to put up with all the lions crap,the only time your side gets a mention in the papers is when you play them which made our win even sweeter.Chris Tarrant is a bloody legend and noone can go with him at the moment,getting him out of the goal square and leading down the ground is the way to go,how about that free kick reversal in the last quaI rter against him.
I here you Red Scorpion, I live on the Gold Coast and opened this mornings Bulletin and Courier Mail only to find articles indicating that the Bears will be back bigger and better next week. There was a mention of the Pies, but not one article mentioned how well the Pies played or how gutsy their performance was. It is a bloody disgrace. Like you, I'm sick of of the unbearables!
DaicosMagic

Post by DaicosMagic »

Funny you should say that - I was just about to post this when I read yours Anthony C. When Benny Johnson kicked that goal, we were playing rather ordinarily but I turned to my girlfriend and said, "We always win when Johnson kicks a goal."

Malthouse uses Didak to perfection come September (although I would have liked him a bit earlier - where are our crumbers when we go long? Does anyone know what front and centre is?) Just like last year's preliminary final when Didak came on fresh in the last quarter and ran rings around Adelaide, he did the same on Friday. Only fresh legs could've sprinted and kicked from outside 50 on an angle without slowing down, and then slotted through the impossible set shot later. I bet the Cheer Squad's glad they got those seats now - Didak right in front of you for the magical sealer.

I was just waiting for the umpire to call illeagl shepherd in the back from I think BK when Didak slotted his first. It's good to see they have common sense after all.
favourites 2008

Post by favourites 2008 »

The game I believe was summed up as the changing of the gaurd.
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I've watched bits and pieces of the game a few times now and it was even just bought up on 'On the Couch' - MM's use of the bench is excellent.

Benny J has been so consistent and he was a pleasure to watch - his style of play is exciting and his running is non-stop.

Bucks Bucks Bucks - if he doesn't make anyone wanna pull on a black and white guernsey then I dunno what would. His game epitomised everything that Collingwood is about.

Personally, I found I was too nervous to enjoy the game on the night and I feel I had been sucked in to the Brisbane psyche of them being unbeatable because I wasn't confident at all. The shocking losses through the year were still too fresh in my mind.

The team play just like that - A TEAM. And that is one thing that is a true pleasure to watch and to encourage.

Jen
HANDS OFF OUR JUMPER

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
molloymagic

Post by molloymagic »

It was a fantasitc saturday night!. First headed off to the 'G to meet up with magpiemel,nat. To go to the cricketers,also met up with marg and sue(sorry marg if i got her name wrong).Heard a great speech and then headed off to the 'G. Got to my seat(right next to the brisbane lions cheersquad,i might add) and settled in.

I thought at times that there were going to be fights between the lions cheersquad and some magpie fans,it got pretty hostile(if thats the right word).It was absoloutly wonderfull to see the way the pies fought back to win!!!!!!!!!!. Went to the winners circle as well,sensational then went back to the cricketers with magpiemel,nat and some other wonderful magpie gals. Was a great evening which was made better when i went to the airport the next day but who do i happen to see sitting having a coffee but Martin Pike,White and someone who looked like Mal Michael but i wasn't to sure,i looked at them and decided agaisnt going up to them but went back instead to reading the paper about the magpies win!!!!!!!!.
Jarrod Molloy
*'94-03:10 Gr8 yrs*
*169 Games* *'02 V.C*
*2nd in '01 copeland
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

This game was more than just a victory over the bears, it was a physiological hurdle that erased any doubts in our players head and pushes home to them to stick to the game plan and play for each other.

It's one step; we have another to go before we have a chance to play off for the flag.

The moron bear supporters in front of me started leaving after Didak kicked the goal that put us in front.

Buck’s stood out as BOG, Johno was fantastic and has stepped up a notch this year.

I could not believe Lepa was left out of the top 5 in most newspapers, if it was not for him we would have won by 10 goals.

Keep a lid on it, one win does not make a season unless it’s the last game of that season.