Post Match v Wet Toast, All comments here thank you!

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

Well we all get an extra 4 weeks off( you bloody beauty)and us supporters need it because other supporters retired for the season in august we had to support through september so we are still a lil pear shaped
Bring on the barby in the bush ;)
lsdswooper

Post by lsdswooper »

I would have thought being a month in preparation behind would put both Collingwood and Brisbane at a distict advantage come September, fresher legs, perhaps less injuries, less player fatigue, peaking at the right time of the season?

Good form and bad form doesn't last for ever.

The fact the the spine of our side has been rested gives me even more optimism for the second half of the season.

We played interstate at 24 degrees underdone...big deal. I'M THRILLED WE"RE OUT OF THIS POINTLESS CRAPPY COMPETITION, and it's STUPID rules.

The sooner we get rid of "the waste of time cup" the better lets extend the season to 24 games, reduce the quarters to 18 mins + time on and have 5 on the bench.

Then our champions like Buckley, Rocca, Burns will hopefully have their careers extended by 2 seasons!
Yobbo^LuKa

Post by Yobbo^LuKa »

Guy Richards would have looked fantastic if he had of had the full senior team around him. Not only would they carry his inexperience to an extent but he would have a little bit more confidence with the big names around to play along side. I really hope he gets a run this season he may be half decent.
Tradition? Pfft you call merging with Fitzroy and cheatin to 3 flags Tradition? Winning 4 flags in a row is history, which makes tradition!
freddie foxx

Post by freddie foxx »

I know it looked bad, but try and put it in perspective. Ive only seen the first half of the game so far. But I was very very impressed by three things. 1)Guy Richards 2)Alan Didak 3)Bo Nixon.

Remember that our midfield was probably on average around 19 years old. I thought West Coast were very very slick in that department.

To tell you the truth I thought Richards would be another year off. Seeing him play last night proved that he is hungry to play seniors, and on last nights peformance, he's earnt it in my opinion.
practice makes perfect but perfect practice makes a champion-peter daicos
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

its just the wizards cup its a pre season game and also we woll be primed for the real stuff not some mickey mouse cup and also i hope a club like the demons win it cause they real need the money too
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by stoliboy »

Here's my two cents:

1) I still support the Pies and look forward to Round 1 against Richmond.

2) It would have been nice to think the youngsters could have had more of an impact in the game. Cameron Cloke, David King, Luke Shackelton, etc showed promise in the intra-club matches but made some shocking errors last night.

3) As a team we didn't seem to have a good grasp of the Wizard Cup rules. e.g. When switching the play to the midfield or the other wing we would kick it backwards, get called to play-on, not realise it was play-on, then have to get a hurried kick/handball off that resulted in a turnover.

4) Add to that poor choice of disposals.

5) When we would mark in goal kicking distance there wasn't a cool head that slowed down the play by walking back to take a shot at goal... there would be a hurried play-on which resulted in turn over or a point.

It's not a good start to the season but remember in 1990 we lost to West Coast in Round 1 by a large margin and then went on the win the flag. We can come back! :)
westernpie

Post by westernpie »

From up in the stands where I sat last night, we even looked slower than on TV.
When the players where off the ball,they had hands on heads,huffing and puffing and looked sick.
We just wernt as fit as the Eagles-end of story
Is it just me or does J Cloke need to lose some weight?
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

1) It was in Perth. When was the last time a committed team won over there let alone a National Lampoon Tour with work experience students on the ground.

2) There entire midfield played. WC showed again last night that their midfield is in the top 4 or 5 in the league. Ours is too, but you can't do much when no.1 starts on the bench, nos. 2, 3 & 4 stayed in melb, no.5 had to go back to attempt to slow the carnage. no.6 obree & no. 7 didak (maybe) went ok. No. 8 Holland got splinters in his a$$.

3) Malthouse changed ideas. He decided a no fuss build up would be better than play nearly everyone in a very tough game over in the west and if you somehow won then play nearly everyone again at the G or the TD with the Army behind them all hyped... etc etc

I thought Rocca had a very good tan, that richie cole tackled like a beast and that leon has put on a lot of beef.

I am also persuaded to think that Lica may well be our MVP.
MargOZ

Post by MargOZ »

It may have only been the Wiz Cup and we may have been a few weeks behind in preparation and not had our full team in BUT that was crap football. You don't have to be fully fit or even the classiest footballer around to play tough hard footy. We looked like we simply didn't want the ball and didn't want to be there. I don't care how many new kids were playing or how many players were out of position - there is no excuse for the debacle we saw.

We couldn't kick straight (unless it was directly to a Weagles player!), we dropped marks, we were slow, there was no backing up, other than Cole there was no tackling, and then there was our feeble attempts at goal kicking. What a joke! I wasn't expecting us to win but I certainly wasn't expecting us to look that bad. Buckley showed his class when he was on the ground, Cole tried hard and even though Didak stuffed up a couple of times at least he presented a target. The rest of them were atrocious! And I make a real effort to never 'bag' players because at least they're out there having a go which is more than I do sitting in the stands BUT Williams……..well………at least on his form in the second half of last year and now early this year should really struggle to get a senior game.

I'm actually glad we're out of the Wiz Cup but it was the way we lost that is really disappointing, even at this time of the year. And hey, maybe we've even underestimated the value of the guys who didn't play?!?!

Having said that, I'm not using one pre-season game to judge our 2004 season. There's still a long way to go and plenty of time for our boys to fire up and play the quality football we know they can. I'm still concerned about how we are going to handle the year mentally rather than physically but I guess only time will tell. I'm still counting down the days to round one and a 100% improvement on what we saw last night!

And boy am I NOT looking forward to work tomorrow!!!

GO PIES!
Marg
PeterWH

Post by PeterWH »

Unfortunately I got the final score from Sky news at 11:00pm,I watch 5 minutes of the game on FFC and then went to bed.The Mrs.asked who won and my comment,that the local Thugby League under 10's could have done a better job.
What a bloody disgrace.Was tyhis the 2004 team or a backyard team of juvenilles.
My god they had better improve before the start of the season.Aas a bytheby I was glad to see Port bundled out.
PeterWH VK2FPHR Membership No.248693
PIES FOR PREMIERS.... YEAH WHEN!!!
We missed 2002 to 2009,BUT 2010 was OUR YEAR.. WATCH OUT 2018 here we come.We hope!!
Joel

Post by Joel »

Guys, it was Willi midfield V Eagles top ling midfield. It was plain as day we were going to get whipped. Just settle down, and when we start getting whipped in the real thing (and when we actually have players like Presti, Taz, Woey, Johnno, Lica etc playing), start to worry then.
hotpies

Post by hotpies »

It does not matter, pre season does not mean anything.
All that matters is to get the team to the finals, then play your best footy in the finals.
Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

Im embarrassed to say that watching that game was extremely boring... (Not as boring as golf though :P)

BRING BACK JARROD MOLLOY, I SAY!!! :D (aww hes the cutest fox footy guy ever :D)

I don't wanna sound mean but yeh:
Leon Davis: If he doesnt improve this year, i think its time for him to go... He's not the magic davis we had in 2002 and before that!
Cameron Cloke: I don't have a clue what he was doing! He's not built up enough to be any threat to his opposition.
Jason Cloke: He's lost his spark this guy... This isn't the JC i know
Ryan Lonie: This guy could kick those 9 pointers we needed! Why didn't Mick put him in a position where the ball could get given to him and he can run in and boot it from 60metres???
Guy Richards: He's not beefed up enough to be a strong ruckman! He needs the bulk and he can't use it without it! I just hope he comes back to my Wendy's sometime soon, so i can give him 600 more thickshakes!!!!!

I can't be bothered saying anything else!!

Come on Collingwood! Just remember this:
Kick Goals, Tackle Hard, and for god's sakes MAN UP!!!!!!!

Love always, Alyssa xoxo
*~Alyssa's Song Of The Moment~*
I See You - Luke Bryan

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
Rocccaaaaa23

Post by Rocccaaaaa23 »

I Can't believe what I am reading here.

Is this a Collingwood news board or a Richmond?

FFS it is a blooddy Fizzer Cup game.

Collingwood had a very inexperienced side playing - Wet Toast were near full strength.

Collingwood had players playing out of position - WET Toast didn't.

How many premiership points were on offer - Answer 0.

Who cares how we went in the Fizzer Cup.

MM stated last year that he thought that the Pies form pre weeks brea was affected because of the Fizzer Cup rounds that we played.

This year he stated (in a round about way) that he hoped we didn't progress in the Fizzer Cup - and we didn't.

Stop all of the negativity please and let' focus come Round 1. I hope all of the people who have had a negative to say about 1 pre-season game look back at their comments mid way through the season.

Remember we are Collingwood.
princem007

Post by princem007 »

Who cares if we lost. It doesnt matter. Here are the positives, and theres lots of them.

a) Pies wont be on TV till round one so we want have to go through that misery until then

b) Our backline has improved since grand final, we held eagles to only 131 points compared to brisbane 134 in GF.

c) Our kids will obviously getter better on that performance.

d) Tarrant had a better game in the stands than most of our forwards.

e) Mick got to see how 4 weeks behind schedule can f@@@ up a wizzard cup campaign.

f) Eddie might reconsider calling Pie games.

g) Who really gives a f@#@ anyway.Its February Cmon, who cares, its just a friggin glorified practice match. Means nothing, absolutely nothin.

h) Oh yeah, at least we cant lose another GF now.

As that song goes "Things, can only get better "
Go Pies...Premiers 2010