Pre-Match: Collingwood V Bitchmond - All comments here

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Joel

Post by Joel »

I just had a look at Rd 1 last year, and Presti missed that game, along with Josh Fraser (and a couple of others). Gary Lyon commented that if you ever wanted to meet Collingwood, 'tonight, is the night'. Who won that game? The Pies.
Joel

Post by Joel »

May I also add, that from the Rd 1 game, we also had Lica and Burns missing...and we had players like Lokan, and Tex making their debuts, along with Shaw, who hasn't played for two years before that.

So that means we had Lica, Burns, Fraser and Prest missing, yet we still won by 40 points.
Eunos

Post by Eunos »

Keep talking, I'm starting to come around!
Joel

Post by Joel »

Taz didn't kick a goal (I'm pretty sure), so hopefully he will jump up and kick a few this time.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

You make some good points Joel. The Tigers are the most mentally brittle team in the comp (except Port when september rolls around). A flying start, a few Tarrant marks and Didak goals and they (the Tigers) will be ducking for cover. All the same, I still am hoping for Presti to play on Richo.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Match Preview:
Team
B: Wakelin, Presti, R.Shaw
HB: Johnson (On Brown), J.Cloke, Cole
C: Lonie, Buckley, Woewodin
HF: Didak, Fraser, O'Bree
F: C.Cloke, Tarrant, Holland
R: Richards, Licuria, Burns
INTER: McKee, Swan, McGough, Davis
EMERG: Lokan, King, Walker.

Collingwood vs Richmond under lights at the MCG. What a way to start the season with another Tigers thrashing. Here's how we'll do it:

The Backline - Key Match ups:
- Presti/Richo
- Wakelin/Morrison
- J.Cloke/Ottens (when forward)
- Johnson/Brown
- Shaw/Krakour
The backline will be too strong for the Tigers forward line. Presti will be able to keep Richo in check with Wakes & Clokey holding the Tigers other tall forward threats at bay. On the ground Ben Johnson should be tight enough to keep Tigers big name recruit Brown out of the play. Rhyce Shaw will look to gain some early confidence by stopping Andrew Krakour playing a part in the match. Richard Cole will be able to play as a loose man who is able to provide support for Shaw & Johnson with his bone-crunching tackles.

The midfield - Key Match ups:
- Buckley/Fleming
- Lonie/Chaffey
- Woewodin/Bowden
- Burns/Campbell
- Licuria/Coughlin
- Richards/Stafford
The centre line of Lonie, Buckley & Woewodin is sure to provide us Magpie supporters with some highlights come Friday night. With Lonie booming long goals on the run, Woewodin providing Buckley & Burns with some support in the packs and Bucks just being Bucks - winning his usual 30 odd possessions and kicking a goal or 2. Burns & Licuria should be able to keep Campbell & the danger man Coughlin out of the play whilst winning the ball plenty of times themselves. Richards, in his long awaited 1st game should be able to match it with Stafford & Ottens both in the ruck & around the ground with his spring and excillent tap work.

The Forward Line - Key Match ups:
- Didak/Rodan
- Fraser/A.Kellaway
- Tarrant/Gasper
- C.Cloke/Hall

Our potant forward line should be able to decimate the Tigers defence. I beleive Rodan will be thrown onto Didak in what will be seen as a surprise move & whilst 'Dids' will be held in relative check, he will still be able to escape from Rodan for 2 or 3 goals. Our 3 big men - Fraser, Tarrant & the 1st gamer Cameron Cloke should be able to kick a winning score. The tigers don't have enough height or pace to go with our tall forwards & won't be able to quell the force of Tarrant on the lead or Fraser's ability to escape on his own and put through a goal. Cam Cloke will give a contest and hopefuly bang some bodys to allow Didak, Holland & O'Bree to cash in with some goals. Although Tarrant has a history of being beaten by Gasper, I still think that he will continue the terrific form of 2003 which saw him become an All-Australian for the 1st time.
We will also have too much run in our legs, with guys such as McKee, Swan, Davis & McGough on the bench. All 4 of those players can run through the middle of the ground or in Davis' case, forward of the centre and will give Richmond no end of trouble.
In a final predictin, the mighty Maggies will be too quick and strong for the Tigers and with Buckley and Tarrant firing, they should win easily by 52 points, with the Pies braking loose in the 2nd quarter.
droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

Good match report Johnson 26. Like your thinking but will Wowy play?
BRING IT ON.
Joel

Post by Joel »

droche 2004 wrote:Good match report Johnson 26. Like your thinking but will Wowy play?
He is named as available, and Blame commented that he would have played on the weekend, except they wanted to be careful, and that if the game was played on Monday (last), then he would have played.
Joel

Post by Joel »

BTW, J26, that was a good report. Tess, I'm sure MagpieMad (Steve) will be asking for contributors soon. OR, if anyone has a game preview, or the like, contact magpiemad, and ask him if you can send it to him to put it up.
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

C Cloke and G Richards over M Lokan and T Walker. Big call. Do you think they had that good a preseason?

Lokan had a good preseason, last year, as did R Shaw. That's why they lined up in round one, when injuries and suspension kept others more favoured out. Once in, they kept their spots the whole year. But they were third year senior footy players (albeit at the secondary level). Richards (I think) only cemented himself in the Willy seniors last year, so that gives him one, and C Cloke none.

So I don't expect both to play. Maybe Walker.

Regardless, I expect us to beat the Tiges (Oh Dear, what a mistake that was, Thanx Joel). I am sure Richmond will put up their best performance of the season, but like last year, it will not be enough. Collingwood by 6 goals.
Last edited by Greg J on Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooby Doo says "I've been to Lexus too."
Joel

Post by Joel »

Greg, "I expect us to beat the Pies". 8)

I can see Richards coming in, but not Cam Cloke at this stage, I also expect Lokan to play.
Joel

Post by Joel »

My team:

B: J. Cloke, Presti, Johnson
HB: Lonie, Wakelin, R. Shaw
C: Holland, Buckley, Woey
HF: O'Bree, Fraser, Didak
F: L. Davis, Tarrant, Williams
Foll: Richards, Licuria, Burns

Int: Lokan, Cole, Nixon, Kinnear

Emer: Davidson, H. Shaw, McKee
MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

If there is one team that can be beaten by the crowd, this is them, get stuck into them over the fence and they'll go to water, richo will drop his lip and the rest will go sooky sooky la la. GET INTO THEM!!.

Johnson#26 m8 great preview, can we use it on the website?
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!
droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

Magpies not undermanned: Malthouse
2:12:08 PM Wed 24 March, 2004
Jordan Chong
Sportal
Related Content:

Listen to Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley

Collingwood coach Michael Malthouse has refused to concede the Magpies will face Richmond on Friday night undermanned.

"I go into every game believing my team is in good nick. We pick the best possible side, the best side runs down the race and we believe we can win," Malthouse told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday.

Established first-team players Alan Didak (knee), Shane Woewodin (hamstring), Simon Prestigiacomo (leg) and Rhyce Shaw (corked thigh) have all come through injury-interrupted pre-seasons, while James Clement (eye) and Tarkyn Lockyer (foot) remain unavailable.

Forward Anthony Rocca is also suspended.

However, Malthouse was keen to remove any labels of inferiority from any of the 22 players that will be selected to face the Tigers.

"It doesn't cut any ice with me. People who say that you don't go in with your best side are a disgrace because all you're doing is undermining the abilities of your players that come into your side," Malthouse said.

"If you want them to perform at the level that you blokes want them to perform by saying they are not in your best side, they will play accordingly."

"I will pick the best side the club has. Every one of those boys will believe that they are in the best side."

Despite describing the off-season at Victoria Park as not ideal, captain Nathan Buckley indicated it was of no consequence heading into the season opener.

"Obviously round one you're as keen as mustard and what's transpired in the past couple of months is whatever you want to make of it," Buckly said.

"We're ready to go."

While the make-up of the team hasn't yet been decided, of the 17 young players on the senior list without an AFL game to their name, including five that are rookie-listed, Malthouse hopes five to seven of them will open their account in sometime in 2004.

The challenge he has set himself is to get those players to take up the challenge of carving a role for themselves in the team.

With the delisting of Rupert Betheras, trading of Heath Scotland and retirements of Glenn Freeborn, Jarrod Molloy and Mark Richardson, Buckley said opportunities abound for some of the unheralded members of the squad to make their mark this year.

"We're going to miss four or five of the guys that might have provided the depth that people were talking about last year but we've got a belief that the young fellas that have been on the list for a couple of years are now going to have the opportunity to stand up and play similar roles," Buckley said.
BRING IT ON.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

MagpieMad wrote:Johnson#26 m8 great preview, can we use it on the website?
Sure, no worries. Just copy & paste it over as I don't know how to do it. Hopefuly I'll be able to do 1 each week so you can use it if you want.