Post Match - Pies beat Dogs in thriller. All comments here.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

There should be an investigation into the umpires, they obviously had money on the dogs as they tried that hard to get them over the line.

lucky win.

no burns in the centre in the first 1/4 we lose, Buens in the centre after that we win.

Talk about confusing the opposition, last qtr our backline was the forward line. Lokan kicks a goal. I look and there is Cloke, no lesson learnt from last year.

It's a win, Dogs have no idea how to win. Lucky to get away with the points.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Confidence helps Pies to breakthrough win
6:40:52 PM Sat 3 April, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to collingwoodfc.com.au
http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp ... eid=141208

Eddie's boys stumble and win
04 April 2004 Sunday Herald Sun
Rod Nicholson
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

I was away all day and saw nothing except a few highlights on the 5th quarter. I heard the 1st half and the last bit of the last quarter. Sounded like Jonno had a great game and Burnsy a great last quarter.

Just a few questions:

How was O'Bree?

How was Davis?

How was Lokan?

Did Richards hold his own and will he play next week?

Did Pebbles straighten us up?

Who do you expect to be dropped?

Once I get the video I'll write a match report.
Blanch

Post by Blanch »

Johnson#26 wrote: Just a few questions:

How was O'Bree?
Still with work to do. Horrible early but seemed to get better as the day went
Johnson#26 wrote:How was Davis?
Absolutely sensational. When our forward line lacked spark he provided it. He worked hard "for the team." 9/10 for him today. Great effort. I also want to say that he was putting his body on the line from the 1st minute. He didnt chip in with 2 goals when we were already 10 goals up, he worked hard to provide options when we most needed it.
Johnson#26 wrote:How was Lokan?
Poor early but lifted as the team did. Finished quite well.
Johnson#26 wrote:Did Richards hold his own and will he play next week?

Struggled with his first stint on the ground but his second was great. He held his own against Darcy towards the latter stages and allowed Fraz to roam up front. He'll stay next week if I get my way.
Johnson#26 wrote:Did Pebbles straighten us up?

Can't say enough about this man. It's not his direct influence on the footy, it's the difference he makes to the other boys on the park. Simply we walk taller with him out there. He fought on one leg for the second half.
Johnson#26 wrote:Who do you expect to be dropped?

Bo Nixon just didn't get much game time. He started the game but the pace was a little to much for him. He got towelled up but he'll be back.
My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
bwphantom

Post by bwphantom »

I know I didn't see the game but I can read between the lines. It seems as has been the case for awhile is that we started slow and the opposition got the jump on us. Lucky for us the Bulldogs are pretty mediocre.

We cannot afford the same luxury against the top teams. Look how strong the Lions came out yesterday. They blew the Crows away, and the Crows did fight back, but the Lions are to classy to allow a lead like that dwindle. If we start off against the lions as we have the last 2 weeks we may find ourselves on the receiving end of an absolute flogging.

Hopefully this win will see our confidence return.

However this is how the game reads.
COLLINGWOOD: 2.5, 5.8, 10.14, 15.16 (106)
WESTERN BULLDOGS: 6.5, 8.11, 10.16, 13.19 (97)

1st Quarter we lost miserably on the board.
2nd we kicked 3.5 to their 2.6...this tells me both teams kicking bad for goal.
3rd we kicked 5.6 to 2.5...Conversion rates from either side not top class.
4th we kicked 5.2 to 3.3...That sounds alot better and I would hope to see those kind of conversion figures more often.

When you analyse this we still won 3 1/4 out out of 4. That will normally win games. Some may say we were lucky the Doggies didn't destroy us as they had every opportunity to. But that is the game of footy and whether we win by 180 points or by 9 it is still a win.

I look forward to meeting some of you next week at the function before the Pies take on the Lions.

GO PIES!!!
All this may be summed up in one word - CHARACTER - and if that is not worth developing, nothing is.

Jock McHale
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Thanks Blanch :)

Davis back in form.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by stoliboy »

Lets not get carried away with the win. We still played shocking for most parts of the match.

What was promising to see was the emergence of some sort of structure on the field. That gives me confidence that we are starting to get rid of the cobwebs from the pre-season.

Still a lot of basic skill errors e.g. poor choice of disposal (not taking the percentage option), miss kicks, dropping uncontested marks (Rocca missed a few).

But definately some promise there... good gutsy win :)
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Joel

Post by Joel »

Good win, but I'm not getting carried away. We still have to improve to beat teams like Brisbane.

The second half was sensational though, and I've been looking forward to the moment I could see the real Collingwood again, instead of the insipid crap we have seen recently.

I thought Woey was okay, but he slipped twice in front of goal (Doggies goal), and that cost us two goals. Richards also slipped twice in the middle, and Doggies possession resulted, along with two goals. Now, I know it is a little hard to not slip, but if they'd kept their feet in both circumstances, then there is a chance that the Doggies would have had four less direct goals than they did.

BTW, I know Rawlings was inaccurate, but people (especially outside the club) need to realise that Tarrant, and Rocca were also inaccurate, with Taz kicking 3.5 and I'm not sure about Rocca, but they both could just as easliy, have had about 5 goals each.

Davis was good from the outset, that is exactly how he needs to play each week. He needs to run, and provide spark, and he did well in that regard today.

Pity about Davidson, he was looking the goods. I especially like the contested mark he took against two Bulldogs, outside the 50m line, and the resultant pass to Rocca, who goaled if I remember correctly. I hope he recovers.

Johhno and Wakelin were sensational in the back half, but Presti is very underdone, he will take a few more games to get into it.

Lokan was good when moved forward as he did the job that was required, popping up with two goals.

Burns was great in the second half, with his centre clearances, we really needed that. We have to win the ball out of the middle like that, all the time, because when we don't we struggle to keep up. When we get first hands on the ball, we get our running game going, and we are pretty hard to stop.

Anyway, that's enough from me, I just hope we can do something special at the Gabba this week.
chalky

Post by chalky »

Agree with Alf, best is yet to come, rds 6-8. MM has made no secret in that he is tweaking our training prog subsequent to last yr. Remember, wiz GF, blazing rds 1-4 then limped into mid yr break. Slow build up may mean a few short term losses before sustained form streak.
Sat there neither surprised nor expectant just watched each player run into a little form - a qtr, 2 qtrs there. Burns not far, Lica a few more wks, same for Presti.Confident they will string together the sort of sustained form that will get the media drooling. Very pleased with Leon. If he continues to improve he will be an asset to the midfield as he brings genuine pace
JLC

Post by JLC »

Very pleased with the second half by the Magpies as the Bulldogs will claim some big scalps this year imo as they are not the worst team going around.

There were patches where we showed what we are capable of and the forward line teased us at times with Rogan, Pebbles and Tazza all making contributions.

Rocca - No coincidence that Tarrant plays a great game when his partner in crime is back in the team.

Johnson - His run was fantastic even when we were down and out.

Leon Davis - Silenced a few critics hopefully by showing that he can play good football and a definate spark that we need to see playing consistent footy. Glad to see him also do some defensive things which is what he needs to do more of.

Lonie - Very pleased with Ryans game as the third tall defender.

Jason Cloke had another disappointing game.

All in all a disappointing start but a good second half and more importanlty the 4 points.

jlc
The Torres bounce is officially dead. You are walking alone now Fernando.
droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

What has happened to our tackling, again we were beaten in this area. The last 2 years this is probably one stat that we dominated. To win against Brisbane, we cant let them get out to a good start, need to tackle more, and we need to get the ball in the 50 allot quicker. At $4.00 I think we are a chance might just put $10.00 on them to win.
BRING IT ON.
swooper
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Not the Pies best performance, but I especially liked the way we came from 32 points down and continued to persist. Particulary when the doggies got 8 pts up in the last quarter, it was good to see the boys keep winning the ball.

Some positives from my perspective:
How good was Johnno dashing out of defence? He has come a long way, good on him
Leon Davis was great, kicked goals when he had to, and took a great mark
Great to see the Rock back out there - we need you mate!!
Burnsy back to form
Thought Obree did some OK things despite what some may think

Some negatives:
Tazza was great for us, but he just needs to be more consistent with his goal kicking, but fantastic work by him
Tom Davidsons injury - poor kid looked devastated after the game
Cloke - whats going on there?

Will need to do much more than that on Thurs if we want to beat Bris....we all know we can beat them but we will have to be at our best.up at the Gabba...Guy Mckenna on the ABC seems to think we are still several weeks away from our best...