Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

What'sinaname wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:Never realised til just recently that Muhammad married Aisha at 6 year of age and had sex with her at 9!!!!!
I think that's assuming the years were following the Gregorian calendar. What calendar were they following at Mohamed's time or when the Koran was written?
Does it matter, because Muhammad was in his 50's, so the age is relative. Even if Arabia years were twice Gregorian, she was 12, he was in his 100's.
While I find the whole thing outrageous, that may have been the norm in many societies at the time not just some desert nomads. There's a big difference between 16 & 6 or 18 & 9. This does not make it acceptable but as u know there is a difference. In Christian & other societies I expect this was the norm as virtually all women especially girls were used as chattel to seal deals so to speak.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Well said, 2 dogs. Even if it does have holes you could drift park a b double in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

David wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha
Cheers David
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

What, like that curious Biblical invention "do not kill"? Or are you referring to "do not steal", because property rights didn't exist before Moses? Or those cornerstones of Western law "you shall not have any other gods before me", "do not make any graven images", "honour thy father and mother", "do not covet", "do not commit adultery"...

I think you just crashed your B double into a pile of traffic cones.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Anyway, back on topic. These lovely muslim friends of ours aren't having any holidays as we approach their favourite day of the year to hate.....

2015.12.22 Syria Deir al-Zor 9 dead 20 injured
Nine girls are crushed to death in their own school by targeted ISIS shelling.

2015.12.21 Syria Aleppo 3 dead 2 injured
Three teenaged sisters are disassembled by a Sunni rocket.

2015.12.21 Kenya Mandera 2 dead 3 injured
Two passengers are killed when Islamists board a bus and try to separate Christians for execution.

2015.12.20 Nigeria Beneshiek 9dead 24 injured
Nine people lose their lives when three child suicide bombers target a youth group.

2015.12.20 Iraq Hamdania 9 dead
Three women and an elderly man are among nine members of a family exterminated in the home by Islamic State proponents.

2015.12.20 Afghanistan Kabul 1 daed
A Mullah shoot an American woman to death outside her apartment.

2015.12.19 Somalia Mogadishu 4 dead 9 injured
An al-Qaeda linked group sets off a car bomb along a crowded road and then opens fire, killing four civilians.

2015.12.19 Syria Shaddadi 4 dead
The Islamic State stone four people to death for sexual immorality.

2015.12.19 Afghanistan Andkhoy 1 dead
Fundamentalists fire on an official returning from a housing project for the disabled, killing his companion.

2015.12.18 Afghanistan Kukoldash 3 dead
Three civilians are murdered by the Taliban in front of a shop.

2015.12.18 Mali Timbuktu 3 dead
Three broadcasters are brutally murdered outside a Christian radio station.

2015.12.17 Iraq Sinjar 10 dead 12 injured
Caliphate members send a rocket into a small town, killing ten people.

That's 58 killed and another 70 wounded by the bearded ones.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:What, like that curious Biblical invention "do not kill"? Or are you referring to "do not steal", because property rights didn't exist before Moses? Or those cornerstones of Western law "you shall not have any other gods before me", "do not make any graven images", "honour thy father and mother", "do not covet", "do not commit adultery"...

I think you just crashed your B double into a pile of traffic cones.
Traffic cones do a lot less damage than that brick wall! :P

Skids, those stats are truly horrific. They are damn barbarians with absolutely no morals.
David

Post by David »

Just the perpetrators of those crimes, or Muslims? I honestly have no idea what you're referring to any more.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Just the perpetrators of those crimes, or Muslims? I honestly have no idea what you're referring to any more.
ok now thats totally out of line.

i dont know how many times i have put in my support for the general Muslim community.

when i said i dont want a Muslim in a place of government i think it was fair to assume i meant a radical one,

but go ahead stir the pot your always whinging about
David

Post by David »

I don't see why it's reasonable to assume that. We have people on here like Skids who actually do cast aspersions on the entire Muslim population; I've never once seen you pull him or one of the other hardcore anti-Islamic posters up and say, "hey, don't you think you're generalising a little too much?". Perhaps you just presume that I, or PTID, or WPT will do it? Well, guess what, it gets tiring fighting the same battles over and over again. If you genuinely support the Muslim community, demonstrate it when it's needed, not just when you're trying to defend yourself against accusations of Islamophobia.

What concerns me, and should concern you too, is that anti-Islamic sentiment is growing rapidly in the West. We have a major presidential candidate in the US saying that every single Muslim should be denied entry to the US. Not 'radical' ones; all of them. He gets applause for statements like that on here, and I have no doubt that an Australian politician saying the same thing would get a significant degree of minority support. That's a threatening environment for Muslim Australians to be in.

Nobody says that you have to like their religion or that you should avoid criticising it or its practitioners. But if you genuinely support Australian Muslims and wish to see them treated with dignity and respect, that means at the very least confronting and arguing against prejudice and not letting it pass in silence.
watt price tully

Skids wrote:Anyway, back on topic. ....

That's 58 killed and another 70 wounded by the bearded ones.
Hipsters? :shock:

The Monash University Philosophy Department? :shock:
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:I don't see why it's reasonable to assume that. We have people on here like Skids who actually do cast aspersions on the entire Muslim population; I've never once seen you pull him or one of the other hardcore anti-Islamic posters up and say, "hey, don't you think you're generalising a little too much?". Perhaps you just presume that I, or PTID, or WPT will do it? Well, guess what, it gets tiring fighting the same battles over and over again. If you genuinely support the Muslim community, demonstrate it when it's needed, not just when you're trying to defend yourself against accusations of Islamophobia.

What concerns me, and should concern you too, is that anti-Islamic sentiment is growing rapidly in the West. We have a major presidential candidate in the US saying that every single Muslim should be denied entry to the US. Not 'radical' ones; all of them. He gets applause for statements like that on here, and I have no doubt that an Australian politician saying the same thing would get a significant degree of minority support. That's a threatening environment for Muslim Australians to be in.

Nobody says that you have to like their religion or that you should avoid criticising it or its practitioners. But if you genuinely support Australian Muslims and wish to see them treated with dignity and respect, that means at the very least confronting and arguing against prejudice and not letting it pass in silence.
wow really?

should i go back and find my #iwillridewithyou posts?

the posts where i have said its not religion thats evil, but people using religion as an excuse?

how about the refugee vote, when i was the first person to select over 10,000 intake?

as for"pulling up hard core posters" what do you call my posting this in answer to a poster who has posted antiislamic stuff here, and is also a good friend of mine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_ ... y_theories

its called a passive aggressive response, getting your opinion, a different opinion, across without having to belittle or degenerate the other person.

if i could be bothered id go back and find that post where you made all the claims of my generalizations towards you. or is that a one way street? only you get to post stuff with your own bias against that person in your mind and your answer?

not very balance thinking for a journalist!
David

Post by David »

I'm not trying to accuse you specifically of anything, but I can only call it as I see it, and the way I see it is that there is very little pushback against extreme (and factually incorrect) anti-Islamic rhetoric - on this forum, at least. That looks at best like group tolerance and at worst like silent agreement, and the occasional positive comment about Muslims doesn't fundamentally change that. Basically, if there's no argument against it, then those ideas go unchallenged. I don't think that's a good thing at all.