Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Prometheus
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Prometheus »

HAL , keep your pod bay door shut.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Well some defence Troppo. It seems you do have a sizeable chip on your shoulder. As Magpie Greg clearly observed Pratts ethnicity has nothing to do with it. But alas when the obvious snide ethnic racism in your post is exposed your defence is:
Can't take a joke, reactionaries - just plain sloganeering.
You chose to include indeed introduce Pratts ethnicty & some others joined in. Quite a glass jaw it seems. When others like myself point this out you reply by making further ethnic references (not at Israel because that irrelevant & not a cause of my concern -but to being a jew) & avoid any responsibility apart from name calling.
The mysogyny you made reference to is just as abhorrent by another contributor.
Jac Jac Jacqui contribution in my view is simplistic & errant nonsense. Ths post was about a dying man who was a crook. Some feel he is being celebrated far too much & was let off too lightly. When this crossed the line as it were, was when his ethnicty was snidely & (in my view in a cowardly manner) was brought into it. The issue of others such as terrorists is irrelevant & is stretching a very long bow indeed to try to make a point.
I think Troppo needs to take one of his feet out of his mouth.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Well some defence Troppo. It seems you do have a sizeable chip on your shoulder. As Magpie Greg clearly observed Pratts ethnicity has nothing to do with it. But alas when the obvious snide ethnic racism in your post is exposed your defence is:
Can't take a joke, reactionaries - just plain sloganeering.
You chose to include indeed introduce Pratts ethnicty & some others joined in. Quite a glass jaw it seems. When others like myself point this out you reply by making further ethnic references (not at Israel because that irrelevant & not a cause of my concern -but to being a jew) & avoid any responsibility apart from name calling.
The mysogyny you made reference to is just as abhorrent by another contributor.
Jac Jac Jacqui contribution in my view is simplistic & errant nonsense. Ths post was about a dying man who was a crook. Some feel he is being celebrated far too much & was let off too lightly. When this crossed the line as it were, was when his ethnicty was snidely & (in my view in a cowardly manner) was brought into it. The issue of others such as terrorists is irrelevant & is stretching a very long bow indeed to try to make a point.
I think Troppo needs to take one of his feet out of his mouth.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Opps sorry, I apologise about the double post.
JacJacJacqui

Post by JacJacJacqui »

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

pietillidie wrote:Geez, fascinating thread...just pondering this.... I am glad the mods have erred on the side of free expression, despite totally disagreeing with the racial references in the posts. Communities have to contest and negotiate constitutional grey areas such as the boundary between freedom of expression and racial vilification; authorities cannot make such calls except in obvious cases where the speech is clearly threatening. Offensive is not threatening. That's how I weigh it up at this point.
An excellent point. If people want to be petty they will get called for it.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

roar wrote:
CAAS wrote: he is a top bloke who has helped many a person in time of need and is a very generous bloke to his employee's.
He's also a criminal who ripped off each and every australian. I don't like to see anyone get cancer so he has my sympathies, but let's be honest here.
i can't feel any sympathy.

he's also 75 and lived filthy rich. he's had a good life
gregpie

Post by gregpie »

Can we get back to the fact that regardless of Pratt's religious persuasion he is one of the biggest corporate criminals in the history of this country.

In the USA he would have been stripped of ALL assets and be in jail.

I cannot believe the amount hyperbole that been stated about Pratt everywhere in recent days.

Some people are painting him out to be an Aussie version of Mother Teresa
Even Kevin 007Rudd has made the trek to pay his respects to Pratt. I suspect the donation to the Labor Party must be quite significant.
I wonder if a similar trek will be made to Alan Bond when his time is almost up?

Why is that these high profile crooks are treated differently to the common thief? Bond, Pratt, Newton, Wheatley, Dipierdominico, Vizard, GEEZ! the list is endless! are cheats and crooks yet they seem to go unpunished. Seems to be that corporate crime is treated as something a larikan does!
JacJacJacqui

Post by JacJacJacqui »

Because they're no ordinary thieves. They're 'professionals'.

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Good reason. Have you ever been to Europe? What's your favorite movie?
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Richard Pratt has passed away.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25 ... 21,00.html
BILLIONAIRE packaging king Richard Pratt has died aged 74 following a battle with prostate cancer.
Visy Packaging spokesman Tony Gray has confirmed that Mr Pratt died just after 7pm (AEST) tonight.

A constant stream of prominent personalities, including politicians, football players and businessmen, have visited the home of the Visy boss over the past days to pay their respects and to say farewell.

Mr Pratt, 74, leaves behind wife Jeanne, son Anthony, daughters Heloise and Fiona and grandchildren.

The eulogies for Mr Pratt started pouring in once news of his terminal illness broke early last week.
RIP, condolences to his family
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
TheGreatDane

Richard Pratt dies

Post by TheGreatDane »

Mr Pratt has passed away
Tilly18

Post by Tilly18 »

Really?
RIP
That's so sad.
marty clarke forever.
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

figured seeing we already had an 8 page thread, i had posted it in here

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... &start=105
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
TheGreatDane

Post by TheGreatDane »

I'm sorry to steal the limelight from you. I did not realise this was a popularity contest. Someone's passing vs oh I said it first. Relax.