What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

P4S, my apologies for not replying earlier. I do enjoy talking music with you very much. :D

1965 is pretty much for all the reasons you said. Having said that, 1964 and the songs you cited unquestionably sewed the seeds for 1965. You Really Got Me crossed with Wagner = heavy metal :lol: By 1965 all the perceived barriers were gone. Compare Help to Rubber Soul as one example; and they're the same year!! By the way, just how good is 'She's Not There' ? :shock: You can just imagine Carlos saying 'Yep, I'm doing that' !!

As soon as I read 1948 I just knew it was gonna be Muddy Waters. God I love him !! That line in "Crossroads" always makes me smile. "Muddy Waters invented electricity" !!! :D When I got to your next paragraph I knew we had something else to agree on :D Do you have the 1941 recordings by Lomax ?

1984 is a personal choice.

You know I'm an albums person and I thought 'The Swing' was just extraordinary, and maybe the best Australian album, until I heard 'Diorama'. Iron Maiden's 'Powerslave' was also going to be a tough act to follow, for them and everyone else in the genre, 'Master Of Puppets' excluded. Growing up the way I did, 'Powerslave' for me was as far as the rock/heavy/prog thing was probably gonna go.

YAY !! We did Coleridge !!! That doesn't leave a lot of room.........:lol::lol: Webber & Rice I think hit the same hurdle after 1970, know what I mean ??

I thought '1984' was a great album and as for Henley, well no.....it's not all West Coast !! :lol:

Also, probably the rise of sampling, house, death metal, MTV (a massive key factor - SEE not LISTEN), hiphop etc. took something away...something indefinable, by/for me anyway. Production (ex. Bob Rock) will be part of the answer I'm sure. That and the gradual wresting back of control by the music moguls..........

There's been less and less thought going into the creation of music, as an artform, since 1984, again I stress, in my opinion. Perhaps the people making the most creative music aren't on the big labels ??

Of course, coming from a very particularly flavoured (especially pre Countdown rock/pop) upbringing, I'm probably biased and also a product of my age.

Aaaahhhh, Holy Wars. I think it was 1991, but whatever. As pure speed metal I thought it was the crowning glory of the genre, at least from American bands. I was gleeful when I heard the album, especially so when Metallica released the 'Black' album the following year. I was one of the audience that they lost.

Please don't get me wrong, there's loads of material post 1984 that I love a lot, although it does peter out for me about 2003, as a rule.

That said, I don't go seeking modern music. I'm too busy trying to catch up with what I missed in the 1970s and before :D

Every once in a while, my brother will bring something to my attention that I enjoy. Most recently it's the Strypes. Nothing terribly original but they do it very well !!

Best wishes,

MM

PS: What am I listening to right now ??? Exile On Main Street 8)
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Thanks for that, MM. I don't have all the 1941 Lomax recordings but my very thoughtful wife did get me "The Land Where the Blues Began", which contains some tremendous music recorded by him between 1933 and 1959. Amongst many other treasures, it contains Muddy's "Country Blues" from 1941.although it doesn't contain the famous first verse, it contains most of the stanzas from Robert Johnson's "Walkin' Blues" and is probably the most imitated recording of the rock era.

As for what I'm listening to, now, its "Midnight Rambler" (the 1969 studio version). The high notes in that opening riff go through me like an electric shock, every time.
Last edited by Pies4shaw on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

My pleasure.
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

I kid you not, I was listening to the Ya Yas Midnight Rambler on the way home on Tuesday. Great 'road' music :wink:

BTW, Lomax's book by the same title (The Land Where The Blues Began) is a great read !!
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion
Jezza
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Jezza »

Kevin Rudolf ft. Lil Wayne - Let it Rock
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Put this on loud. What a track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCUtrLn42fc
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I watched all of that! :x
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:I watched all of that! :x
I didn't watch all of either. I wanted to slam the piano key lid down on that douchbags fingers.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dr Pie

Post by Dr Pie »

I haven't been on this thread for ages so I missed P4S's original posting of four versions of Baby Please Don't Go (2004 version has been deleted). P4S you missed my favourite performance of the song also I think from 1964 and apologies for the quality of the youtube. I remember it from the studio performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGywCOqAX8
Born and raised in Black and White
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

The Necks.

Have just played at the Corner Hotel.

A reviewer asked: "Are they the best band ever"? :shock:

I'm listening to them while at work typing assessments on night shift for tonight & one more night.

They are new to me but a friend loves their stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaTyHFo3kns

Additional: after listening to most of this album I am very impressed. A poster on the link above called it "Kama Sutra for the mind"
The album is called Sex. I don't disagree. Great stuff.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Phillip Glass: Soundtrack to Mishima the 1985 fillum directed by Paul Schraeder. I'd forgotton about this beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Y4m7ty8p8

Kronos quartet on Strings
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Dr Pie wrote:I haven't been on this thread for ages so I missed P4S's original posting of four versions of Baby Please Don't Go (2004 version has been deleted). P4S you missed my favourite performance of the song also I think from 1964 and apologies for the quality of the youtube. I remember it from the studio performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGywCOqAX8
Here's another 2004 version (Aerosmith): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTiZ0mJn4E
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

stui magpie wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:I watched all of that! :x
I didn't watch all of either. I wanted to slam the piano key lid down on that douchbags fingers.
I think you're both being too harsh, although you're not alone: here's the "Hitler rant" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQa4DL17Aug

I wanted to perform the Cage - but the publisher charges a fortune for the score, so I couldn't afford to buy it.

Luckily, for $29.95, I was able to get hold of Ligeti's 0m,0s. It's a less substantial work, of course, but getting my mind around the exact length of each rest was a demanding task. :wink:

I won't give you a link to that Ligeti, but here's one to an exceptionally fine interpretation of his Lux Aeterna from 1966: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVYu5lyX5M

Post by 3.14159 »

stui magpie wrote: I didn't watch all of either.
I wanted to slam the piano key lid down on that douchbags fingers.
The douche was the bloke coughing.
How the hell can anyone concentrate with an audience like that!!!!

Dr Pie wrote: Baby please don't go.

I saw the Clash live at Festival Hall back in early 80's
It was their last gig with Mick Jones on guitar, Paul Simenon on bass and Joe Strummer. :cry:
They started at 8 p.m and played till long past midnight.
I remember them playing "Baby please don't go" as part of their 12th (or so) encore.

I couldn't find a clip but here's a faint scratchy (audio only) version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGhwykPhES8