Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

Presti - who has the premiership medallions? You don’t have to justify anything to your mates - just ask Jordy who as the cup? ;)

Go Pies!!

- Ben
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Just watched it again.
Still so astonished at this victory. I will never forget it.
The desperate efforts every inch of the way to ensure this victory.
Should have won easily if we had kicked straight.
Did not let the frittering away of chances undermine our confidence.
They won the lead with 5 minutest to go.
We struck back within 30 seconds, with the brilliance of a Daicos and JDG.
Our champion veterans stamped their imprimatur on this game in the final quarter, Pendles with his amazing last quarter opus, and Sidey with a goal for the ages.
The finals series for Collingwood was an absolute supreme achievement, a masterpiece crowning this entire, extraordinary year.
It was a Beethoven Fifth Symphony.
The triumph of genius.
An achievement for me that transcends all the others to which I have borne witness.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Well said mttm.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Thanks for the heartfelt comments Presti. They struck a cord with me. I’m lucky to be an MCC member and got to most MCG games and all the finals. My son is one of the few Collingwood fans I know and he’s the only Collingwood MCC member I know. We used to attend regularly, but unfortunately he now lives interstate and the cost of getting down is prohibitive. I flew him down for the prelim. which was fantastic. He’s only a few years shy of full membership so didn’t get the to the GF, but unfortunately the cost of membership v little use has him thinking of giving it up. I will subsidise him until he gets it and see how things pan out.
Obviously I can get him in as a guest in the future, but not the granny
The other MCC friends I have support other teams. They come to some Pies games and I go to theirs, but it’s not the same. Part of the fun is chewing over bits of the game with an equally biased, passionate fan.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

^^^^

Empathise with you. Both my son and I are restricted members (after 26 years) so have the restraints of not attending all MCG matches. Hoping to gain full membership within the next couple of years.

And yes, discussing Collingwood games with other magpie supporters is the best way of doing it. Nothing compares to a great magpie assessment.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm a Legends member and have been attending our games at the G for decades with my mum, brother and son. Sadly, mum (92) passed away a few hrs after we won the Grannie and my brother has decided to give up his seat. My son recently became a provisional MCC member, but wants to maintain his Legends membership, so he and I can continue to sit and cheer together. Despite waiting 20 yrs or so for his MCC membership, I suspect he may decide at some stage to let it slide, as there is nothing like being at the G surrounded by fellow Pies supporters.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Very sorry to hear about your mum, Rudeboy.
Jezza
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Jezza »

Presti35 wrote:Thanks npalm.

Something I've never had is a friend that supports Collingwood. A few have made a couple cameos over the years, but my closest friends have all supported other clubs. I have certainly moved on from all of the "perceptive fellow" who have nothing better to do than bag everyone else.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of supporters saying it wasnt a great GF. (Namely Dees supporters).

I say watch the replay... it's an absolute corker. Some of the goals kicked were amazing. Hill taking a screamer and everything else he did on the day. It going down to the wire. Several lead changes and it being close the whole way.

I even had one say the game has no stars unlike 2005 which had superstars on each line. :shock: Honestly, people simply can not handle that Collingwood won. That Collingwood now have 16 flags. And that it was a GF for the ages.

"it could have gone either way". Yeah it could have, but we had the lead when the bell rang.

"you had the umpires". No we didnt. Watch the replay. Cox being smothered by a player in the protected zone, a rubbish 50 against Markov, Hipwood taking a dive/acting in the 1st, McCluggage OUT OF BOUNDS, just to name a few... but sure lets talk about the advantage. Luke Hodge and Richo have something to answer for due to their shit comments that fed the haters and their theories.

I've heard just about every excuse and every tiny bit of hope from oppo suporters. Not this time I'm affraid. We are fkn PREMIERS and you can SMD! Also McCarthy and Rayner can EAD.

Also Charlie Cameron lined up Howe but thats ok. Lions supporters chanting "Bullshit" when Murphy was knocked out (did Lincoln McCarthy line him up?), thats ok, thats not being talked about.

Channel 7, Channel 9, Fox, all the social accounts, Carro, Nat Edwards, all the experts who tell us what they want, rather than what they think, all the jornos who said we wont make the 8, we can finish top 4, we cant win the flag... SUFFER!
A lot of Collingwood supporters can relate to your sentiments. Ignore the haters and bask in the glory, Presti :)

Just remember the Collingwood haters are bitter and disappointed that they can't hang shit on us the way they used to in the past. All the years of describing us as chokers and saying we live off the past has evaporated now. They were waiting for it to happen again on Grand Final day, but instead of losing another close Grand Final, we bucked the trend and changed the course of history in our favour for once.

Behind the hatred and bitterness has always been an underlying fear of us being the most dominant club both on and off the field. I'd argue the club hasn't been an on-field powerhouse since the late 1930s after unprecedented success up to 1936 when we had already won 11 premierships by that point. The fear of us being potentially being an on-field powerhouse once again has always been the biggest driver of the hatred toward us.

I don't know whether we win any more flags in the short term, but the cultural foundations that have been set by Fly and co almost feels generational at this point and will hold us in good stead for years and hopefully decades to come.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Kind of weird, but this song was playing on my fone as I was reading the latest from this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-mi0r0LpXo&ab

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I sent mum a Cheers meme and she sent the theme song back to me.

Sort of relevant with the recent posts.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Pies4shaw wrote:Very sorry to hear about your mum, Rudeboy.
Same here. :cry:
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Presti35 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Very sorry to hear about your mum, Rudeboy.
Same here. :cry:
Thanks guys.
piedys
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by piedys »

Magpietothemax wrote:Just watched it again.
Still so astonished at this victory. I will never forget it.
The desperate efforts every inch of the way to ensure this victory.
Yup, sure beats wandering around the local park halfway through the final term whilst wrecked with anxiety, and having to put up with 2nd hand play-by-play commentary via telephone from a certain psychopath [who shall remain nameless to protect his identity.... ] :lol:

29 days later and i'm still gloating over this win; it was something else indeed.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
swooper
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Presti35 wrote:One thing that happened to me in 2010... I let others try to take away from the win. My friends and even my in-laws. My friends watched the game together and asked me to come over and they'd all fkd off by the time I got there. It was on purpose.

In 2011 and 2018, there was no such problems. Come on over we're having a late night.

This time I didnt even bother with them. They are salty jealous people. Can't be happy for you if you get a new job, new car, or any kind of life event. Always trying to bring you down. And when it comes to footy they are even more salty. Their team didnt win, the best team of all... must be some kind of conspiracy... others must be cheating... and the umps are rigging it all... :roll:

Anyway, I havent heard much from them. And I've been lapping up the clubs success.
I'm sorry to say but these people you describe are not your friends. Find new people to hang with if you can. Whilst you can't do much about family (eg your in-laws) - their jealousy and mean-spirited behaviour is their problem, not yours. I'm glad to hear that you are continuing to lap up our success. Go Pies
mightypies90
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mightypies90 »

I’m pretty lucky, a couple of good mates and I go to the games together. With their kids and my mum and sister there are an about 10 of us who go together, so it was an awesome experience.

Presti35, get rid of the negative friends, you don’t need that in your life. That’s disgusting what they did to you after 2010, telling you to catch up and then not being there. I would never do that to anyone and I wouldn’t tolerate it being done to me. So disrespectful.
The artist formerly known as schuey7.
mightypies90
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mightypies90 »

I don’t know if this works but enjoy.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx9zhX0S ... _copy_link

Turn on the sound and enjoy. This win means so much to so many. I don’t think there was a dry eye at the ground after the siren went.
The artist formerly known as schuey7.