Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Skids »

Don't count the days, make the days count.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

How many do you think would constitute a 'few' in the context of a population of 1 billion?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

The brave warriors strike again targeting a menacing playground full of children!!

A Taliban splinter group says it carried out a suicide attack on a park in Lahore, Pakistan, which killed more than 70 people, including children.
Jamaat-ul-Ahrar said it had targeted Christians celebrating Easter, though police have said they are still investigating the claim.

There were scenes of carnage as parents searched for children amid the debris.

The bombing of the amusement park on Easter Sunday was the bloodiest attack on Christians in Pakistan since the 2013 Peshawar church bombing that killed more than 80 people.

But many believe there may be a wider context to the latest attack - 27 March was the deadline set by an alliance of more than 30 religious groups for the provincial government of Punjab to withdraw a new women's rights law they oppose.

And supporters of Mumtaz Qadri, a police guard executed last month for the 2011 killing of a provincial governor who advocated reform of the blasphemy laws, have also launched protests. They brought forward the customary 40th day mourning for Qadri by 13 days to coincide with 27 March and several thousand have now occupied a high-security zone in Islamabad to press demands which include the implementation of Sharia law.

The explosion, believed to have been carried out by one suicide bomber, hit the main gate to the Gulshan-e-Iqbal park in the early evening, a short distance from the children's playground. Officials said the device had been packed with ball bearings.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35909677
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

That's unbelievable.
think positive
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:How many do you think would constitute a 'few' in the context of a population of 1 billion?
How many do you think constitutes too many in the context of "oh my god, that's my family/friends?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

1 death is too many. But that doesn't answer my question.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

David

Post by David »

Milo. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:Milo. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you watch it? Never seen someone debunk what he says.
David

Post by David »

I did, actually. The thing is, you can't on the one hand praise Western society for its progressive treatment of LGBTI people and women whilst on the other asking that it set aside centuries-old principles of religious tolerance in order to vilify and pathologise an entire (highly diverse) religious/cultural minority group. These two concepts are inseparable. You either believe in equality and respect, or you are actively embracing a position contrary to the enlightenment Western values you're supposedly defending.

Milo is just Pauline Hanson with a blonde quiff and toffee accent. Listen to him in this video: he's essentially saying, over and over again, "I don't like it". And why? Because, among other things, he thinks Muslims want to persecute him as a gay man. A gay man who, in turn, wants to persecute Muslims in the exact same way that people like him were persecuted in the West mere decades ago, for more or less the same reason: "I don't like it". It's totally circular reasoning.

Other than that, his arguments about Islamic extremism are the same tired old stuff we've seen on here and on right-wing social media memes over and over again: "the majority of Muslims tacitly support extremism"; "Islam is incompatible with Western values"; "Muslims aren't doing anything to stand up to ISIS". These are either observations held out of ignorance, or else willful lies. I've discussed why in detail in other threads, but happy to go over it again if you wish.

In Milo's case, this doublethink is most apparent in his assertion that he opposes US intervention in the Middle East (a halfway reasonable claim), but that he supported the Iraq War, one of the most obviously destructive interventions of that kind. This was a foreign policy decision which someone with the most basic understanding of international politics could see enabled the rise of ISIS from one of many little sectarian groups battling Assad in Syria to a juggernaut laying waste to huge areas of two countries and inspiring converts (and attacks) all over the world. Yet Milo thinks that this war was justified, and that the blame for ISIS lies instead with the entire Muslim world (including, I suppose, the Shiites, Kurds and "heretic" Sunnis who have been in ISIS's firing line from day one). How could one person be so blind? Well, it helps if one is Milo, someone who is so dedicated to attacking "the left" that he hasn't even taken the time to formulate a consistent philosophy of his own.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Freedoms need to be fought for protected from those who would take them away, and Islam has shown itself time and again to be an enemy of Western values. If I was a gay man in Germany, The UK, France or Sweden I'd be bugging out to the USA as well. Despite a distaste for homosexuals from Christianity, there's no threat of being hurled off a building. The marriage between the left and Islam is an abusive one, the left keeps telling us that he doesn't mean it and he really loves us while Islam just keeps blowing shit up like its done since gunpowder was invented.

I too supported the war in Iraq, I was against the occupation and more specifically the disbanding of the Iraqi army and have been against subsequent interventions, until Russia's in Syria. I don't see his views as being incompatible, but rather of having nuance.

Milo's philosophy seems fairly consistent to me, he's a Cultural Libertarian. You're not far from being one yourself David. Like Milo's buddy on the show I see you as one of the few intelligent liberals. :lol:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ertarians/
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Why isn't this thread stickied? I was looking for it earlier. No. Really.
David

Post by David »

Wokko wrote:Milo's philosophy seems fairly consistent to me, he's a Cultural Libertarian. You're not far from being one yourself David. Like Milo's buddy on the show I see you as one of the few intelligent liberals. :lol:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ertarians/
That guy treated him with kid gloves and did little to hold him to account on some of his more outrageous claims. No wonder he likes him so much! I don't think I would receive any such compliments from him (though I'm not sure I'd ever self-identify as a 'liberal' anyway) and that's fine with me. :lol: Milo shits me up the wall.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

He must be very fond of it.