#16 Ed Allan

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Welcome to Collingwood Ed Allen. Think we have a ripper here. A lot to like with this selection. Fast, strong, good kick on both sides, can mark too. Well done pies and welcome to Collingwood Ed Allen hoping you have a long and successful career at Collingwood.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Warning.... Banter:

I don't want to get too carried away, but this crossed my mind this morning, and I thought I'd share it.

Watching his YouTube clips, I could see the resemblance to his father in the way he held onto the ball, kicking style. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what I was thinking.

If he is anything like his dad, it's a huge win I thought.

Then, I noticed how he holds the ball as he cuts through the ground, then I matched that with his apparent speed, he appeared to effortlessly glide across the park, dual sidedness, his skill.

Then I struggled a tad to compare him to a Collingwood player.

What sort of player is he in the middle? , what would it look like ...

Anthony Koutoufides
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

You can see Ed Allan in the white T shirt at the beginning of the video.
When the news comes he gets swamped by everybody in the room.

The moment Ed Allan became part of the Magpie Army.
https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/statu ... draft-haul
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

swoop42 wrote:The Collingwood romantic in me has been waiting 25 years to see what Lee Walker could have been without those knees of his.

Yeah sure Ed is projected to be more of a midfield option but if adds a couple of more centimetres and continues to fill out over the next few years then this tall, athletically gifted West Australian with the sun bleached brown hair more than fits the bill.
I saw Lee Walker dominate on the wing for a half before going down with a knee - against Essendon I think? - but he could play CHF and HFF as well. If Ed Allan is half as good and just as mobile and twice as resilient physically, I'll be wrapped.

For now, I'll just cry again about the what iffs for Lee Walker. That kid would have won a Brownlow and a Copeland if he could stay fit...

- Ben
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote:All picks are speculative, but in this case, there's a lot to like about him. Fingers crossed we've added a 10 yr player to our list!
We need some long term midfielders, no question.
Please do not get homesick for WA!

Seems his father Ben Allen, who debuted against us in 1990 for Whorethorn, played only 98 games for them, thus voiding the chance to go as F&S pick.

Too bad, so sad; thems da breaks. :o
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Uncle Jack

Post by Uncle Jack »

Just a random thought.

If you're a 50 year old who's played 98 games for a club you love, with a gun son somewhere between Naicos and Ashcroft's potential, would you put yourself up for the draft the year before your son is due? "Play" 2 games as the sub without going on the field and hey-presto your kid's now eligible for father-son!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Reckon you've got way too much time on your hands uncle Jack.

:lol: :lol:
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Would love to see BT go out and play three more games. :lol:
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

We've actually got a few players stuck in the nervous 90s.

Varcoe, Wellingham, Treloar, R Shaw from more modern times. Even Langdon and Phillips are on 89.

If not for the knee injuries, I rekon we'd have seen Ball and 'Caff hit the tonne.

How's Taj Woewodin going, Shane only got to 62 games.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I can't remember being this excited about a new draftee. After watching his highlights, he strikes me as a faster version of Bontempelli! Boy oh boy, he already has the skills and smarts, so once he adds a bit more bulk to his large frame, he could be anything.
watt price tully

RudeBoy wrote:I can't remember being this excited about a new draftee. After watching his highlights, he strikes me as a faster version of Bontempelli! Boy oh boy, he already has the skills and smarts, so once he adds a bit more bulk to his large frame, he could be anything.
A lot to like:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/29/ ... medallist/
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Watching interviews he sounds pretty switched on too
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Watching interviews he sounds pretty switched on too
I always like kids whose Dad played professionally. They always seem to do a bit better than their talent suggests because they know how to handle the off field stuff. It’s why I wish we’d also drafted Ollie Hotton
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Watching interviews he sounds pretty switched on too
I always like kids whose Dad played professionally. They always seem to do a bit better than their talent suggests because they know how to handle the off field stuff. It’s why I wish we’d also drafted Ollie Hotton
Son of Trent Hotton?! Geezus, now I feel old!
watt price tully

Nice little interview with Ed Allen’s folks last week who came down (or is that across) from WA (on the club website)

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... Names=news

Reckon we have picked up a ripper with this kid. Good luck to him.