Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

piffdog wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Point 3 is silly.

I'm sure the AFL and AFL-PA would interfere to stop a player's contract being retrospectively diminished. To allow that would open the flood gates and mean contracts were meaningless. In short, it ain't going to happen.

I do note that both our previous President, Eddie McGuire, head of footy, Geoff Walsh, and our player management officer, Ned Guy, are no longer with us.
It legally cannot happen. Fullstop. The only way "out" of this contract, is with the express permission of both parties. Hence if Grundy wants to stay, he stays on the current terms. End of Story. The only way anything can be done about this is if both parties (ie him and the club) agree to waive the existing agreement.
Or we do a Treloar. There’s more chance of the former prez Eddie becoming a Carlton supporter before that happens.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

RudeBoy wrote:I like our players to get as much as they can, but not if an individual's high salary clearly impinges the ability of our club to build and maintain a Premiership winning squad, due to salary cap problems.

I'm not up to date with what elite players earn, but I would guess that our very top players like JDG, Moore and Grundy, should be able to earn around $750-800,000 pa at Collingwood. Any more than that, does seem 'excessive' in light of the AFL's salary cap.
I'd agree with that.

The trick is, you have to offer more to attract players, but you shouldn't have to match external offers to retain players if you have the right culture.

Take De Goey as an example. If St Kilda make him a Godfather offer we have to seriously consider if we want to match that within our TPP or go back and say, we can't match that, but we can offer this which we think is fair and reasonable, then it's up to him to make a choice.

The contracts we offered to Grundy (and Moore) are too much IMO, but what's done is done.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Wonka wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:What happens to the cap hit if he retires? Asking for a friend....
A player's retirement would clear all of the remaining salary in his contract from his club's salary cap, provided the player is not a restricted free agent, an example being Tom Boyd, who was traded to the Western Bulldogs, not a restricted free agent.
Incorrect. See Dayne Beams.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

scoobydoo wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
eddiesmith wrote: Because unlike Brodie, guys like Cameron and Dangerfield rate success and lifestyle over their own personal worth.

The only players in the league earning more than Grundy are: Martin, Fyfe, McGovern and Franklin.
Remind us all about Cameron’s and Dangerfield’s “success”. From where I sit, it looks rather like they’ve both choked badly, repeatedly in big finals - if that’s the sort of “success” you value, perhaps you could go and troll Geelong, instead of Collingwood.
Can’t you admit that Grundy held CFC to ransom when negotiating he’s last contract?
Don’t see Danger, Selwood,Cameron Hawkins,Stewart doing that.
And when u say choked badly I’m assuming you mean in GF’s. Pies have done much better in not choking yeh?
You have nothing to contribute to this conversation.

But, just to help you out, have a look at Dangerfield's and Cameron's general finals records - they've been pathetic. As for Selwood, Hawkins and Stewart - they're figments of your fevered imagination. I didn't mention them - and none of them were mercenary trade-ins.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Wonka wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:What happens to the cap hit if he retires? Asking for a friend....
A player's retirement would clear all of the remaining salary in his contract from his club's salary cap, provided the player is not a restricted free agent, an example being Tom Boyd, who was traded to the Western Bulldogs, not a restricted free agent.
Incorrect. See Dayne Beams.
Beams is not a typical example though and to be honest neither is Boyd. Most players don't retire with years left on their contract like these two did.

Both did it for medical/health reasons (as did Roughy but he was out of contract at the end of this year) and what happened with the money was subject to negotiation.

If someone just walks away and retires, there is no requirement to pay the remaining years on their contract unless it's a negotiated settlement or it was expressly included in the contract, as Franklin had in his.

Boyd walked away, no doubt with some settlement, but with years left that he forfeited. Beams refused to retire (as I understand it) without a pay out which was then included in our future salary cap.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Mr Miyagi wrote:
MJ23 wrote:After watching Silvani beat Cox in the ruck and at least halve the contest with Cameron - I can’t believe trading Grundy is even still an option.

We need a dominant ruck more than an extra few mids right now and we are about to see how much not having one costs us as we head into finals.
I was embarrassed by Silvani winning ruck contests.
Was just as embarrassed when Silvagni beat Grundy in some ruck contents in 2021
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

HS saying Geelong out of the race so it’s either he stays or Melbourne.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

And Melbourne are only in if/when they lose Jackson to WA.

If it has to be, we get the pick Melbourne get for Jackson. To say Grundy is a better ruck than Jackson is like saying Peter Daicos was a better footballer than me. Absolute no brainer.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Big T »

Wouldn't wanna rely on McStay rocking. He's getting slaughtered. Doing well otherwise.
Last edited by Big T on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buon Giorno
Presti35
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Presti35 »

Johnno75 wrote:HS saying Geelong out of the race so it’s either he stays or Melbourne.
Hmm, and I was going to ask who'd take Jack Henry in a straight swap?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Big T wrote:Wouldn't wanna rely on McStay rocking. He's getting slaughtered.
Not that I necessarily want McStay but he is being played out of position as Brisbane’s ruck was subbed off early. McStay as I’m writing this just marked in his right position and kicked a beauty.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Presti35 wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:HS saying Geelong out of the race so it’s either he stays or Melbourne.
Hmm, and I was going to ask who'd take Jack Henry in a straight swap?
WTF...Why would we let Melbourne get him??? And why would we let him go??? To me, this whole conversation is insane.
Grundy stays.
Keep a champion ruckman when you have one.
Especially when a champion coach now gets the chance to combine with a champion ruckman.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

watt price tully wrote:
Not that I necessarily want McStay but he is being played out of position as Brisbane’s ruck was subbed off early. McStay as I’m writing this just marked in his right position and kicked a beauty.
Has actually shown a bit tonight. Was good down back and while no doubt Nankervis has beaten him in the ruck he's shown a lot more than Daniher
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Big T »

nomadjack wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Has actually shown a bit tonight. Was good down back and while no doubt Nankervis has beaten him in the ruck he's shown a lot more than Daniher
Good game. A lot to work with .
Buon Giorno
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Get used to the fact Grundy is gone

I can confirm it was Grundy and his management who approached the club about the possibility of being traded
This came after Grundy was called out after the round 5 loss to the Lions when the coaches questioned his commitment to be a AFL player in front the group
The following week he was injured the rest is history

His management has been shopping him around and feeding the media whatever it takes to twist the narrative towards their client and force the clubs hands to trade him to suit him

They have recently presented the club a offer (club unknown) of 1 x 1st round pick and a future 2nd round pick but the caveat was they wanted the club to tip in $400k salary for Grundy at his new club
Wright immediately said no way and has told them we will not tip in more than $100k and the 1st round pick must be a top 10 pick plus later picks

Whilst no deal is done it’s more than likely the club will find a deal to trade Grundy but it will be on our terms more than his if he really wants out
He can also remain and play and show the commitment the coaches expect if he wants too but that appears unlikely currently