Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Jezza wrote:It's the narrative that Islamist groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda preach to garner support and to obtain new recruits from disillusioned Muslims. It's also a twisted way for them to justify violent attacks against civilians (Muslim or Non-Muslims).

The Quilliam Foundation (counter-extremist think tank) explains it in detail in the link below:

https://www.quilliamfoundation.org/wp/w ... atives.pdf
Thanks for the link. An interesting read, but I don't see the link with your point about western governments and the left in particular 'defending the indefensible' or falling for the trap of the Islamist narrative? And I'd still like to know in practical terms what conservatives would do differently?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

It's painful to turn on the TV today as the media love fest with death and mayhem is increasing. The media are on a high, flying personalities in to report and see if they can present the best death segment.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Wokko wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07/16/multiculturalism-pc-caused-france-terror/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

That's what I want to hear. ^
Of course you do :wink:

He would fit into your world view :lol: :P

Like Erdogan he can't tolerate dissent - your sort of guy:lol: :P

Have a new law that through statement or implication that Poles were complicit in the murder of Jews in Poland - making it a criminal offence to write or state such things - your sort of guy :lol: :P

Then again you cast the reel :wink: :P

Right wing nutter that panders to the racist & xenophobic elements of Polish society - I'm sure I've heard about that type of phenomena before ....just not sure where :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Culprit
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Ban Muslims is gathering speed and the more of these acts the greater the momentum.

Following on from A Bolts article we have Sonia Kruger chiming in.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/televi ... 858de8603f

I would expect the Far Right wing to gain even more power in France after multiple terrorist acts.
think positive
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Trump is on US 60 min right now-it's a crack up! This guy just looks like a cartoon! How has it got this far?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

Culprit wrote:Ban Muslims is gathering speed and the more of these acts the greater the momentum.

Following on from A Bolts article we have Sonia Kruger chiming in.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/televi ... 858de8603f

I would expect the Far Right wing to gain even more power in France after multiple terrorist acts.
Well, at least now we know how Pauline Hanson managed to get on Dancing with the Stars... :shock:
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... MP=soc_567
That has been my exhausted realisation in these last few years: what Muslims do or say does not change anything. And this is not just a terrifying realisation, but a blinding indictment, as it shows just how insidious the demands on Muslims to alleviate the bigotry of others is.

Because when a group can hold fast to prejudiced ideas in spite of factual evidence to the contrary, while at the same time demanding responses from Muslims which they have shown repeatedly they will ignore, that group has not only offloaded any sense of responsibility for addressing their own bigotry, but have created a water-tight echo chamber for the views they will trumpet from the biggest platforms in the land.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

When a country is at war you don't bring in enemy soldiers to kill you. Don't think there was much immigration from Germany and Japan during WW2. In fact we rounded them all up and put them in camps for the duration.
David

Post by David »

^ And you think that was OK?
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

David wrote:^ And you think that was OK?
In some circumstances yes. The Italians were pretty much highly productive and many stayed in the areas. They didn't want to go back and die for Mussolini. At least we interred them and didn't give them a one way ticket to a "shower". A lot of boys of German descent fought in WW 1 for Australia because their families fled German persecution. But WW2 was fought on different ideologies and the Government of the day had no mechanism to handle it all. Our intelligence services were British to the bootsraps and they had their hands full with communists as well. It was natural they would be suspicious of Germans and later the Japanese, both who inflicted casualties in Australian waters (Centaur and Sydney 11). It is better to be safe than sorry. What would you have done differently?
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Pi

Post by Pi »

This is not really an attack by a group but rather one person, like the truck attack. Now should there be a separate thread for attacks by lone [redacted] inspired attacks?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... g-scantil/

Were there any trigger warnings before the mega aggression of wanton stabbing?

should there be plastic knives only in public dining areas? or perhaps government controlled 'knife' waiters for cutting food. :lol:

or perhaps the independent is more 'correct' and this was merely an everyday recreational stabbing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 44711.html
Pi = Infinite = Collingwood = Always
Floreat Pica
David

Post by David »

ronrat wrote:
David wrote:^ And you think that was OK?
In some circumstances yes. The Italians were pretty much highly productive and many stayed in the areas. They didn't want to go back and die for Mussolini. At least we interred them and didn't give them a one way ticket to a "shower". A lot of boys of German descent fought in WW 1 for Australia because their families fled German persecution. But WW2 was fought on different ideologies and the Government of the day had no mechanism to handle it all. Our intelligence services were British to the bootsraps and they had their hands full with communists as well. It was natural they would be suspicious of Germans and later the Japanese, both who inflicted casualties in Australian waters (Centaur and Sydney 11). It is better to be safe than sorry. What would you have done differently?
I would not have indefinitely imprisoned people who had committed no crime. But what do you think? If, for whatever reason, Australia and Thailand end up on opposing sides of a conflict, would you be happy to go to say goodbye to your home, the Missus and everyday life and head off to a Thai prison for three or four years? Or do you think that might be going a bit far?