Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Wishing for their political opponents to be assassinated. Some people have reached a new low.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I see Cannon slipped in her unprecedented (literally, in law) dismissal of the Trump classified docs case right after the assassination attempt. Very creepy, and potentially more consequential than the assassination attempt, which is weirdly neutral given the shooter is some variety of right crazy, and perhaps because guns and shootings work against the GOP and Trump politically given their proliferation policies.

I can't see the rest of the country accepting Trump's life appointees doing this for very long:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/07/09 ... ments-case
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re:

Post by think positive »

Jezza wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:53 pm Wishing for their political opponents to be assassinated. Some people have reached a new low.
I get what you're saying, but gees ....

a trump win is almost a shoe in and I dont think its a good idea.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Jezza
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: Re:

Post by Jezza »

think positive wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:53 pmI get what you're saying, but gees ....

a trump win is almost a shoe in and I dont think its a good idea.
I understand that, but resorting to violence should be condemned unequivocally whoever perpetrates it.

You defeat someone in the ballot box and/or through debate and persuasion.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Biden presidency and 2024 election campaign

Post by stui magpie »

After a massive backlash, Jack Black and his band have cancelled their Australian tour and suspended all future activities.

I think they're being overly hammered by some sanctimonious pollies over what was basically an off the cuff remark. Plenty of people have expressed the same view personally, surely we can accept that without saying that they're advocating violence or encouraging another attempted assasination?

Just can everyone lighten up a bit?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie

Re:

Post by pietillidie »

What'sinaname wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:50 pmWhen he wins the election, I suspect the Russian and Israeli conflicts to peter out and China wont be eying off Taiwan.
Thanks, Nostradamus. Wars that are petering out are likely to peter out. The miraculous powers of the malignant narcissist have no bounds!
think positive
Has liked: 216 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:16 pm After a massive backlash, Jack Black and his band have cancelled their Australian tour and suspended all future activities.

I think they're being overly hammered by some sanctimonious pollies over what was basically an off the cuff remark. Plenty of people have expressed the same view personally, surely we can accept that without saying that they're advocating violence or encouraging another attempted assasination?

I’m glad Nikki was at that concert, she missed out on tickets to the Melbourne one! She had a great weekend!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:16 pm After a massive backlash, Jack Black and his band have cancelled their Australian tour and suspended all future activities.

Don't you find it delicious seeing the left cancel the left. They are so mad at everything right now, they don't know what they're doing.
Last edited by What'sinaname on Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I don't like Cancel Culture, period. People are human, they make mistakes and sometimes say dumb shit. Then sanctimonious arseclowns pile in on social media.

Save the angst for people and/or events that actually deserve it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

On a related note, I have found Trump's followers every bit as hyper-sensitive, and just as menacing. Now MAGA has reached the realms of religion and orthodoxy, it's like trying to criticise the Pharaoh in ancient Egypt. In a way that might be good because it shows political correctness is a general human phenomenon.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times

Re:

Post by Pies4shaw »

Jezza wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:53 pm Wishing for their political opponents to be assassinated. Some people have reached a new low.
That's a bit selective, isn't it? The entire basis of Trump's campaign has been to dish out genuine, impliedly-violent retribution to their political opposition, nationwide. Of course, that's the entire basis of Trump's neo-fascism, so perhaps we should think that doesn't count because it is his entire political playbook?
Durka
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Durka »

Lots of things that you can accurately call Trump, but is being a fascist one of them? Where's the use of military force or backing to obtain or keep control? Where's the one party state? Was it dangerous to disagree with him?

PS. Trump has never played the game, but many people are saying that if he did, he would have been a better mark and a better ruckman than Grundy.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Just ask him. :lol:

Lots of conjecture coming from the US that Biden may have finally got the memo and is seriously contemplating dropping out of the running. If he does, that will make it interesting, how do they pick a new candidate without an out and out shitshow and who would want to step in at the last minute to try to turn the burning plane around?

Harris will have to be on the ticket or as I understand it they lose all the funding donated, so she'll either have to be the POTUS nominee with a new VP or they parachute in a new POTUS nominee and she stays as VP.

It worked for Labor in 83 when Hayden had the rug pulled from under him a month or 2 before the election and Hawke won bestride a drovers dog, but would it work in the USA? One thing you wouldn't describe their politics as is nimble.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

Big drift on the geriatric out the door to 12/1.

Trump firm at 1/2
Harris 3/1

The next shortest 20/1... Michael Obama.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Durka wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:16 pm Lots of things that you can accurately call Trump, but is being a fascist one of them?
No, it's not. But he is a neo-fascist, which is what I called him.