Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:Why would you remove those from the equation? I don’t get it.
Because if you are going to take away the rights of millions of law abiding citizens, you wont stop gang related homicide. Most of these crimes uses stolen or illegally imported guns. And while you might stop some suicide, there are plenty of other ways to end your life. And anyway, these suicides are deaths where mental issues are the problem, not the gun.

But it's a moot point because of four words...

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

^ yes but the victims do have have the politicians GOP mostly and Murdoch press thoughts and prayers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hk4TGuedxA
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Every "law abiding" gun owner is "law abiding" until they shoot someone with their lethal weapon. They are all potential killers - because they own a lethal weapon.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

So I guess all car owners are potential killers too.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:So I guess all car owners are potential killers too.
As you know the purpose of a gun is to kill (farmers, soldiers, police, crooks, nutty and armed libertarians, and other militia) yes there are gun clubs & the like but really they are the exception.

The purpose of a car is basically to transport.

When I ride my bicycle I see drivers (and dumb cyclists\scooter riders) as potential killers.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

^ Yep, exactly. It's an interesting comparison if you think about it for less than five minutes, but the fact is that if personal (i.e. "self-defence") guns had as much social utility as cars then the conversation would be very different. As it is, they exist only to enact or threaten violence on others, and they pretty clearly cause more harm than good. I doubt the number of lives saved each year in the US thanks to a personal gun is equivalent to even one major mass shooting.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yes it's a poor comparison,guns were designed for war and to kill people and cars were designed for transport, but cars kill more people in Australia every year than guns do.

As a legal gun owner, I just find the statement that all legal gun owners are potential killers to be repugnant.

A more accurate statement would be that all people are potential killers. All they need are motive, means and opportunity, or just stupid carelessness in the case of car drivers.

Guns were designed to kill, but cars can be used as a weapon too. Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDkdimGntQ
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

So I guess all knife owners are potential killers too given that all of us own a knife which has the sole purpose of cutting skin, fat and muscle of an animal.

We better ban butchers while we are at.....those crazy would be killers
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Well the Victorian Government haven't banned butchers, yet, but they've as good as banned knives. The pocket knife that pretty much goes everywhere I do, as I've done since I was 6, is considered a prohibited weapon. :roll:
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

stui magpie wrote:Well the Victorian Government haven't banned butchers, yet, but they've as good as banned knives. The pocket knife that pretty much goes everywhere I do, as I've done since I was 6, is considered a prohibited weapon. :roll:
I carry one pretty much everyday, luckily it's for 'work purposes' :wink: :lol: :lol:
David

Post by David »

What'sinaname wrote:So I guess all knife owners are potential killers too given that all of us own a knife which has the sole purpose of cutting skin, fat and muscle of an animal.

You’re kind of proving the opposite point here. The point of course is that if knives served no useful function other than self-defence / violence then they would also be banned here (and, indeed, are in many contexts). But we need them for many other necessary purposes, so they stay.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:So I guess all knife owners are potential killers too given that all of us own a knife which has the sole purpose of cutting skin, fat and muscle of an animal.

You’re kind of proving the opposite point here. The point of course is that if knives served no useful function other than self-defence / violence then they would also be banned here (and, indeed, are in many contexts). But we need them for many other necessary purposes, so they stay.
The US Supreme Court held that the second amendment protects the right to possess....and use a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self defence in the home.

Ever wondered why the the rate of burglaries in the USA is half that of Australia, and one third that of New Zealand.

NZ 1,350 burglary's per 100,000 residents
Australia 674
USA 376
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

It doesn't help that if someone breaks into your house here, and you go out and hit them upside of the head with a cricket bat, you're likely to be charged with assault unless you can proved self defence or that they were armed.

Over there, in many states, if someone breaks into your house you shoot them first then ask the corpse what they're doing there , and walk away scott free.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

^ makes you wonder which is the broken society.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.