Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Brenny

Post by Brenny »

My grand father used to tell me stories, when he used to work in telephone exchanges around victoria. He would often leave on a Monday and come back on a Friday.

One time, he went to work down in Geelong and he stayed at Bobbies motel. This ended up being quite a common thing and they formed a bit of a friendship.

The story we used to get told was how Bobby would often say to my grand father 'I have to be in Melbourne in 30 mins so if I leave now, I'll easily make it'.

Only a small memory, but one I remember.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, we want some Bayley!
jack_spain

Re: Oh

Post by jack_spain »

annewilo wrote:My father at Lou's age used to read the funeral notices and obits every day in the paper to see if his name was in there.

He spent the good part of his last 10 years saying goodbye to people he knew and was a regular funeral goer.

On this topic, a friend of mine Nell, her ex and father to her son, Bill Hunter is very ill. If you are the type for prayers, please include him in yours over the weekend. I saw Nell only last week and she told me about his illness, but asked me to keep it quiet as he didn't want anyone to know. Bloody journalists will suck out a story somehow.
Bill Hunter. We're thinking of him. You know you simply can't have an Aussie movie without Bill Hunter in it. :(
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

RIP Bobby Davis.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Didaicos

Re: Oh

Post by Didaicos »

jack_spain wrote:
annewilo wrote:My father at Lou's age used to read the funeral notices and obits every day in the paper to see if his name was in there.

He spent the good part of his last 10 years saying goodbye to people he knew and was a regular funeral goer.

On this topic, a friend of mine Nell, her ex and father to her son, Bill Hunter is very ill. If you are the type for prayers, please include him in yours over the weekend. I saw Nell only last week and she told me about his illness, but asked me to keep it quiet as he didn't want anyone to know. Bloody journalists will suck out a story somehow.
Bill Hunter. We're thinking of him. You know you simply can't have an Aussie movie without Bill Hunter in it. :(
FYI http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mov ... 1es2i.html
WELLLINGHAM ROVES IT....AND KICKS THE GOAL!!!!

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
matrightyeh

Post by matrightyeh »

rest in peace bob davis ImageImage
ImageImageImage
pies4ever

Former Demon Sean Wight dies

Post by pies4ever »

Former Melbourne Demon Sean Wight dies after cancer battle

Staff writers
June 30, 2011 12:35PM

SEAN Wight, who starred for the Demons alongside fellow Irishman Jim Stynes in the '80s and '90s, has died of lung cancer.

Wight, 47, died this morning at the Freemasons Hospital, his family has confirmed.

The Scots-born Irishman told the Herald Sun in May of the shock of discovering he had lung cancer, having enjoyed a ground-breaking AFL career built on extraordinary athleticism and skill.

"I remember thinking 'Wow, here I am, 46, I've never smoked, never really drunk, and I've got lung cancer," he told Mike Sheahan.

Wight and Jim Stynes were the headline acts of Melbourne's audacious Irish recruiting program in the 1980s.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 6055568810
As Reg Reagan Says-Go And Get Stuffed..!!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Very sad news indeed. RIP
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Sad to hear. Condolences to his family & friends.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

May he RIP too young to die.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

i remember reading that article a few weeks ago and thinking how unfair. sadly cancer does not discriminate.

rip. was one of the pioneers.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Very sad to hear about this, I saw on the Herald Suns facebook that he'd passed away. R.I.P.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Really sad. Way too young.
Joel

Post by Joel »

RIP.
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Was a very, very good player.
R.I.P.
fence-banger

Post by fence-banger »

Oh wow, too sad, way too young and such a nice guy, this is real sad. Thoughts to Sean & his family.

Makes me think too about Jimmy Stynes. Keep going Jimmy, keep fighting it, we're all with you.
Side by side we Stick together