Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:
Dark Beanie wrote:I don't think any other club will take Grundy without the Pies paying some of his salary.

Speaking to a friend (Melbourne supporter) on Saturday night, he was a bit meh about Grundy. Didn't want Melb to be taking on a big contract like Grundys. Was more disappointed about losing Jackson as he had more upside.
Agreed. There’s no way another club would take Grundy and pay all his costs given that he costs so much; that’s why he’s meant to be looking to play elsewhere. WCE are allegedly in the hunt for Jackson if the Fuschias and their first round draft pick and a second from somewhere else might be sufficient to get a deal done.
interesting, all the comments.

i think its a shame if he wants to leave, Fly is getting the best out of all our players.

id be happy for the club to play hardball, id like to know if there are any clauses in his salary? if he wants to leave so badly will he take a pay cut at his next club so we dont have to pay? its a totally different situation from Treloar, because he wanted to stay.

if he is having mental health issues he needs to be looked after, but the club should not have to bend over to do it. The Beams thing bugged me, i dont know how someone can accept that income whilst persuing other interests.

As much as its the clubs fault for agreeing to such a big generous long contract, surely Brody has an obligation to give it his best shot as a player? if he wants to leave so badly, take a pay cut!

and summing up all that, i cant see another club taking him on without a bloody big sweetener, and stuff that!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

dp, agh
swooper
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Ok so I havent been keeping a very close eye on the Grundy situation...but do we know WHY he wants to leave/ (if this is the case ...).
I thought that perhaps he wanted to go back to SA but if he gets traded to a Melbourne club...?
I just don't get why he would want to leave when only great things are happening at the Club now ..and possibly in the future.
Unless of course I am missing something here :D
think positive

Post by think positive »

swooper wrote:Ok so I havent been keeping a very close eye on the Grundy situation...but do we know WHY he wants to leave/ (if this is the case ...).
I thought that perhaps he wanted to go back to SA but if he gets traded to a Melbourne club...?
I just don't get why he would want to leave when only great things are happening at the Club now ..and possibly in the future.
Unless of course I am missing something here :D
totally agree with you,

im sure i read somewhere he wants to stay in Melbourne, so said no to the Adelaide clubs.

scared of hard work? doesnt want to play anymore? doesnt like some one? gees of the teams he is looking at none come close to the upside of staying where he is. a team flying upwards, 2 aging teams that cant live forever, and one has internal issues.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Now hear this, last night on Footy Classified, Kornes said, that "Grundy will go to Melb, and COLLINGWOOD, WILL PAY A LARGE PARTY OF HIS WAGE, SALARY. Like, WTF ?????????? Have we learnt NOTHING from the vile Treloar fiasco, did we Learn utter jack shit, to actually pay him to play AGAINST US, and perhaps help the snowbound Deees to a flag. ?? Have we not learnt a damn thing, are we really that **** to do this again ??

IF this vile deal goes ahead, like this, under Wright, I will fairdinkum fooking spew, I will spew, and may not renew my membership next year, thats how strongly I feel bout this. This had better not happen.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

^ I meant a large PART of his wage, a typo.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Kornes really gets you worked up, doesn't he? He usually has no idea what's going on, so why not wait until we see what happens?
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Pies4shaw wrote:Kornes really gets you worked up, doesn't he? He usually has no idea what's going on, so why not wait until we see what happens?

Not really, but I have heard this rumour from other sources too, thats what has me angry and concerned. Dwayne Russell said today, we would be just stupid to do this and he should stay with us . It just better not happen. :o

mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

From a salary cap point of view it makes perfect sense.
Treloar was on $900,000 for the next 5 years - get rid of $600k
Grundy - $1m for next 5 years - get rid of $700k

That's $1,3m additional space.
Bring in kids or mid season picks and they are on $100k as opposed to $400k.

It's all about balancing the books.
Our issue is not the money we're paying other clubs, it's the fact we have overpaid for Grundy, Treloar, Stephenson (was on $500k), Phillips ($600k) and Beams ($600k that we are paying in this the final year).
5:11pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

mattdally wrote:From a salary cap point of view it makes perfect sense.

Our issue is not the money we're paying other clubs, it's the fact we have overpaid for Grundy, Treloar, Stephenson (was on $500k), Phillips ($600k) and Beams ($600k that we are paying in this the final year).
Exactly!

Wright is working miracles rebalancing our list after the previous administration put us up the creek without a paddle.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Jackson is obviously still young enough to fulfill the promise but right now his performances don't really match the hype or large pay offer coming his way.

Comparison between Grundy in his 3rd season and Jackson this year.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 015&fid2=S

One clearly on his way to becoming our #1 ruck option while Jackson in the company of Gawn hasn't had the same exposure in the ruck or become a large presence when moved forward.

Might well become an AA level player in time but right now he's a bit of a tweener, not yet holding down the #1 ruck position or dominating games as a key forward prospect.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Craigmac
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Craigmac »

Can we get more involved in the Luke Jackson deal?

Jackson to Freo
Grundy to Melbourne plus a first rounder from Freo
Logue to Collingwood

of course some pick swaps involved.

Logue gives us a defender to replace Howe who can swing forward if needed. He was one of their better players against us.....
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I think we can now safely say, conversations between Pies and Dees over Grundys future will go to the next level in the coming weeks.
At least the Dees will have the picks to find some common ground, should the trade go ahead.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
58pie

Post by 58pie »

Grundy playing for another club . Shame! Grundy is like another midfielder.Rucks & rove's because he is fast & agile. It was hard enough watching Adam playing for the scrays knowing we were paying. Simply glad when they fell over against freo.. Would not care if we just keep all of our current team and missed the draft. Go PIES
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

mattdally wrote:From a salary cap point of view it makes perfect sense.

This makes no sense. If we needed the cap space to get a gun KPD for $650K per year, it might have merit - but what seems to have happened is that Collingwood has looked to move a genuinely great player on in favour of McStay, who is a name none of us had any interest in - at all - until he was linked with Collingwood. The idea that one "balances the books" by moving on a high-quality player and then paying the same net amount on his "salary top up "and a half-competent replacement is wholly unappealing. As a business strategy, it's just dumb. As a football strategy, it's even worse.