Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ He didn't, of course - eddiesmith just hates Grundy and is distorting the comments reported here:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 422f2b8761
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Cam wrote:Grundy will take a 100k to 150k paycut and this will be turn out to be 48+ pages of nothing.
Give you 100:1
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

Cam wrote:Grundy will take a 100k to 150k paycut and this will be turn out to be 48+ pages of nothing.
There have been non-football examples of employees taking paycuts of 10%, 20%+ but in exchange to keep their jobs and more often than not, for an agreed period of time.

Grundy doesn't have that issue. He will get paid and employed, it just simply the colour of the guernsey.

What we don't know, what does the saving of Grundy's salary, if he is traded, allow us to do, compared to if he stays. I cant see the value of a trade TBH, given how good he is.

Let's hope we dont need to deal with this until after September 24th with many smiles on our faces and thoughts of B2B :wink:
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

The only way that can happen is to add a year to his contract and spread the same total money over an extra year.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Haff

Post by Haff »

Give you 100:1
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Haff

Post by Haff »

WCE playing hard ball on their pick 2 as expected but I suspect this is just positioning. Pick 2 for Jackson, Ontraded to us, Melbourne perhaps get pick 18 ( 8)) back and we get some improved later picks. The cash will work itself out (thanks Ned).
Thanks for the service Brodie.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Something similar - Jackson to WA, Grundy to Melbourne, Melbourne's compo pick to us plus a choice of a late first round or early second rounder.

(Preferred option - Grundy stays)
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Whatever we get for Grundy will depend on how much of his salary we expect Melbourne to pay. My view is that they would be happy to pay him what they had budgeted to pay Jackson, but not more, so for us to get a decent return from them we'll end up paying $200-$300k of his salary.

My preferred option is he stays as well
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

as has been mentioned a lot here, you are basically swapping Grundy for McStay (financially speaking).

For mine, McStay doesn't look all that good, but maybe he is deemed to versatile?

I can only presume that our coach is not overly keen on keeping Grundy.

Hopefully we can get some draft picks from Melbourne in the deal, otherwise it is another fire sale a la Treloar.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

qldmagpie67 wrote: End of the day HES a contracted player and we don’t have to trade him secondly he has a valid contract with Collingwood and is rightly expecting it to be honoured
Doesn’t that cut both ways? He has 5 years left on his contract, so we can only trade him IF he agrees…. In which case we would need to make a deal work with a club he wanted to go to (if indeed we do want out)

I don’t have any inside knowledge at all but my understanding was that he’d been asked by the club yo explore his options - meaning that he wasn’t the one who instigated the trade talk
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

I think losing Grundy is a mistake. I think its forgotten how good he is and will only strengthen our opposition.

That said - there are 5 players we are seriously connected to. Two of which are FPP/Rucks. While none of them will be on huge dollars, they all will be well paid.

I dont beleive we have the cap problem its being made out, but you dont bring in that many players without sending big dollars out.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

I also find the commentary (from the media admittedly) is talking about both the Browns being delisted and also Will Kelly being rookie listed.

If that eventuates, surely that's a big knock on the past recruiting team making those selections?
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Nah, we all thought Tyler was the better of the two and would regularly be in the 22. Lockdowns and lack of VFL kinda stifled development and he never really got a chance to find a role. At the point now where we have to admit the game has moved past him.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Big T »

Club worried about his longevity given injuries?
Buon Giorno
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Any notion of letting Grundy go to let McStay come in goes out the window after that first half effort from the latter in the prelim. Putrid. Look elsewhere.
woodsmen rule