Post Match v Wet Toast, All comments here thank you!

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

droche 2004

Post by droche 2004 »

BRING IT ON.
Fatui Ataata

Post by Fatui Ataata »

Having watched some of this farcical mickey mouse Wizzer Cup crap over the weekend, I'm glad our team won't be subjected to any more of this nonsense leading into the real thing. Whoever implemented these new rules should get one of Mick's spare bullets, if he has any left.

As for our farcical inept display - there is cause for concern on a couple fronts. MM's positioning of players (4 talls in forward line for example, then O'Bree one out with Wirrpunda ffs) didn't help but the young guys showed very little. The next tier (Lonie, Clement, Davis, Wakelin, Cloke J) were most ordinary. Williams - well I can only hope he was playing with concussion after that knock in the first as that was a tragic non-performance. Cloke - I've defended in the past but I am doubting his future. Mongrel kick after mongrel kick - worse than DVFL 2nd division standard.

The only positive was that Carlton beat Sydney by 102 - thus proving what a joke this competition is.
Goldspink, Allan & Sheehan -
The 3 Stooges
Two_Pies

Post by Two_Pies »

All is now right for a focussed preparation for the real deal. The club can now prepare without the hooha which accompanied last year. The pretenders are now contenders in a farcical fractured competition where new rules challenge the natural football instincts. Its a carnival not a football comp. Many of us are embarrassed by the limp display of many noted Pies players but as has already been stated the exceptional circumstances, the actual result should be cast aside. The baby Magpies need to look deep into their psyches to ask themselves did I give my all on Saturday night and if the answer is no - then what can I do better.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as MM said this may be a side that has to be chosen regardless of circumstance. We as a supporter group also have a role to play here. Who would play for the Pies for quids? Look at the scrutiny we place them under, look at the weight of expectation we place on them every time they run out. Look at the way we lift them when we get to see them live. These youngsters have never experienced the full force of the Magpie Army behind them before. Let's show them in March just what it really means to pull on the Black and White. Whoever runs onto the G on Friday night 26th of March deserves our full voice. Then a 100% effort will not be acceptable we must go beyond and show the world we are THE COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB !!

GO PIES
Let all your troubles be forgot for we are Collingwood. We'll fight it out until the end we're Collingwood. So help me Jock.
Two pies and two beers thanks!!
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Malthouse must be sleeping with Walker's Mum, Geez can anyone else get so much game time and not touch the ball. Disapointing to say the least.

I had a few laughs watching the game and know we will improve when it gets to fairdinkum football.
STOKA35

Post by STOKA35 »

welcome to the world of afl were on any given day if you are not switched on you will get beaten.A good result probably for us this game this will tell the players we are not walk up favorites and you have to put in a team effort to be competitive.
3 weeks of practise games is good for the young guys that played against the eagles because the eagles showed them what level they have to be at
it will be interesting to see how they respond.

my best buckley didak obree

looked lost rocca wakes burns leon
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Cole was the standout IMO, but it's pretend football.
Joel

Post by Joel »

One thing, I hate the throw-in rule, ie. the umps stand in 10 metres from the boundary. Our game is also about using the wings, and this rule takes alot of that element out of it. Moreover, when the ball is thrown in, in the F50, the ball is nearly thrown to the goal square. They need to ditch that rule for the next Fizzer Cup.

BTW, I still don't understand how people can throw away their belief that we can win the GF, after only one game, and that game was a Fizzer Cup.

IIRC, didn't Hawthorn thrash us twice in 1990, during the regular season, but we still won the flag? Don't write us off so quickly.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Your right there Joel, I guess getting thrashed throws in that doubt.

Yawn, it's not real football.

Malthouse had a smile at 3/4 time while talking to the players and Didak had a smirk. Yeah it was real serious stuff. :P

It's a disapointment but it can only be taken as a practice match.

It took the Pies to get people through the gates in WA, the biggest crowd on the weekend. The AFL will be bleeding we are out..lol
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

STOKA35 wrote:welcome to the world of afl were on any given day if you are not switched on you will get beaten.
EXACTLY.

We didnt want to win and played as such. The dissapointment was NOT the score, it was that we hoped to see more from the youngsters.

As for the RIDICULOUS throw in rule ... dont get me started ... means all the play is in the centre corridor, and you cant switch play since you start from the corridor rather than the flank. If the AFL really wants to see huge blowouts, bring in this stupid rule.

Was interesting to see Brisbane win as they normally lose wizard cup games. Then I heard that if they lost, their practice match would be in Perth against Dockers. That made them want to win as they normally dont care about pre season junk time.
chalky

Post by chalky »

Not surprising to see who won over the w/e. Try hard cash strapped clubs trying to placate sponsors and boost membership with a successful begining in a nothing comp. Fair dinkum, some of these sides would be "up" for AFL pre season bobsleding if it meant extra cash.
Tough assignment to play WCE at Subi with full strength side let alone what we took over. I was ok with the result. No doubting their endeavour but skill level was appalling. We got the ball but then gave it up far too easily. No poise nor ability to find and hit targets under pressure. Our trade mark. Bux couldn't stem the inevitable thrashing but displayed admirable leadership. Of the young ones to impress, two stand outs for me - Bo Nixon, Guy Richards. As for the others, well I realise it was a baptism of fire but what better way to see the real deal. The flaws of King, Mullins, Shakleton, Cloke in the same side are so obvious. As an opp coach I would strip them bare with PACE. In attack, with the ball, they looked ok, but they lack true defensive grit atm. Walker is still like my lab puppy, eager to please, crashing into stuff, running around chasing the ball, not really having any idea what's going on. A few more years I think. lol
Happy with Williams. He presented, marked a few even though delivery was trash and double teamed, pity he could not finish. A fit, confident Williams would be an absolute bonus.
Of the others, agree with culprit. Cole's percieved lack of fortitude was tried out again and again but he stood up to the charge well.
Joel

Post by Joel »

I have to agree in regards to Cole. He tried his heart out, a great game by Cole. I also liked Didak's game, he presented, and got plenty of the ball. However, beyond those two, and Bux, the rest were pretty shocking.
magpie meg

Post by magpie meg »

I completely agree with you in regards to Williams, no one on this site gives the poor guy a go, ok so he didn't have a great end to the season last year, and should have been dropped earlier, but the amount of times he received concussion or bruised ribs, shows just how courageous he actually is. He had a go against the weagles (unlike most of the team), he just needs to work on his accuracy, not to mention he got hit in the head yet again. Give the guy ago we have seen what how good he can be (think back to the start of last year) now if he can stop getting injured (however his complete disregaurd for his own body in marking/contested pieces of play does not help) and kick straight he will become a very valued player at collingwood.
NOW give the guy a go and stop bagging him!!!!
Partyn & the pies is there nemore to life???
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't Freo beat us two years ago in the first round of the Wizard Cup? We still did o.k & played off in the Granny
Joel

Post by Joel »

....and Carlton beat Sydney by 102 points yesterday. If that doesn't say that the Fiz Cup is a load of crap, what does?
Fatui Ataata

Post by Fatui Ataata »

Magpie Meg - I understand your sentiments but I also believe Williams gets hurt because he doesn't know how to protect himself and he doesn't go in, in such a way that collisions are a 50/50 thing. He tends to prop, and like a dear in the headlights, gets cleaned up.

Those missed goals were bad enough but that dropped chest mark near the boundary was shizenhausen.
Goldspink, Allan & Sheehan -
The 3 Stooges