Post Match. Pies unplug Power. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Tired legs yet still we win. Massive impact from Jordy. Lipinski back to his early form. Smart forward work without Checkers, who was a major loss. Coxy becoming a reliable winner at the clearance and stoppage over four quarters; some great work to move the ball forward and easily holds his own now. Good signs from Cameron with him easing back into form and having good moments. Ginni delivered after some waste early.

Howey is struggling, and the injury didn't surprise. Moorey, Murphy and Quaynor were excellent, though. Need a replacement for Howey if we can't get him back up. Madge to come back at the right time.

An ugly and odd game in many ways, but I reckon it was about tired legs, hence we were beaten on the outside. A few howlers from the umps handed them goals, so that added to the challenge, but it came back our way a bit in the end. The pre-bounce goal and the first push from Dixon were ridiculous, as was the missed holding the ball, but let's not harp on about it all week again.

Bianco and WHE started poorly, while they put a lot of work into Daics and Daics, so our run and ball quality was down, especially out wide, where Lipinski was having the most impact. But such is this team that all four of them hit back in the second half, with Joshy really impactful.

I thought the coaches were stubborn leaving Nicky D on Powell Pepper, who was their best. Coaches' call, though, and good for his development. Still incredible class at times in the 3rd and 4th, but I'd have put him on the wing when we were getting done there in the first half.

Johnson is all class and will be even more dangerous with Checkers back.

Super sub Carmichael again kicked truly and played well at an important stage of the game.

An ugly game in many ways, and as I say I reckon it was tired legs and maybe the conditions (slippery early and windy). Also Checkers being out may have led to some hesitation moving the ball. Let's also not forget the opponents put a lot of planning into that game, too.

But this is a side that keeps winning, and winning ugly with two players down and a desperate opponent with bigger clashes to come makes it a good win.

Still a big mid, monster forward and monster back short, so working the angles with Grundy coming back is where the potential gains lie. But also never underestimate Checkers' absence.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Damien wrote:Two things:

Surely we are past the Buckley can/can’t coach discussion. It’s getting boring people. move on. The bloke is on FOX footy genuinely enjoying watching the way we are playing under Fly and you all should too.

Second; we need to keep Jordan DeGoey. He was great today. After listening to the Mason Cox interview on the Howie Games podcast this week, I YouTubed the 2018 Prelim highlights again. Coxy was awesome, but De Goey was bloody brilliant. It’s easy to forget just how good he is. You don’t just let players of that ilk walk.
Agreed 100%. The two years of covid pandemic didn’t help, and no longer being locked down is one major reason we’re looking so much better this year. It can’t be overstated how much covid stuffed Bucks’s last two years, plus the off field drama (Stephenson, Treloar, Eddie, racism review).
Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Terrific contested footy game from Dr Goey today, he and Adams were bulls
He’s a gun, we’d be in trouble without him.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I meant De Goey, but autocorrect has decided he’s Dr Goey from now on! Yeah I hope Jordy stays, we need another bull in the middle
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

Any update on Adams and Howe?
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Cam wrote:If you guys can't see the Buckley's rolling zone has been married to Harwick's run and gun chaos ball to give us Fly's gameplan well, good for you.
Buckley's rolling zone? Is that what we are calling last years monstrosity?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Whose bright idea was it for Port to wear grey as their away jumper. Bloody hell my eyes struggled to keep track of our players. Tell Port to bugger off and wear magenta
Why would they wear magenta?
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Surely we are past the Buckley can/can’t coach discussion. It’s getting boring people. move on. The bloke is on FOX footy genuinely enjoying watching the way we are playing under Fly and you all should too.

Second; we need to keep Jordan DeGoey. He was great today. After listening to the Mason Cox interview on the Howie Games podcast this week, I YouTubed the 2018 Prelim highlights again. Coxy was awesome, but De Goey was bloody brilliant. It’s easy to forget just how good he is. You don’t just let players of that ilk walk.
Hear hear, on both counts.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Whose bright idea was it for Port to wear grey as their away jumper. Bloody hell my eyes struggled to keep track of our players. Tell Port to bugger off and wear magenta
Why would they wear magenta?
Oh sweet summer child. Port’s original jumpers were magenta, not our black and white stripes: http://www.footyjumpers.com/portpre.htm

They were also called the cockle divers too.
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

I think the criticism with Buckley's coaching is being highlighted by the game style Fly is implementing in 2022, which is the game style Bux needed to implement in 2019.

After losing the 2018 GF by basically playing slow crab footy for 3 qtrs after ripping it up in the 1st was the reason we bled a slow death.

So, in 2019 what does Bux do? He ramps up our defence to the side effect of losing a lot of our run and gun attacking exciting footy which was a hallmark of our 2018 year until we went away from it in the GF.

If we played more attacking in 2019 like we are now I'm positive the result that year would have been very different. Our team n 2019 was strong enough but it wasn't given the freedom.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:

De Goey was easily in the top 10 Collingwood players on the ground in that game, trailing a long way behind Sidebottom, Grundy and Pendlebury, who carried the team on their back in that match, as usual. Also, well behind Adams and Langdon. The game isn't won or lost on the contents of the highlights reel (see, eg, Peter Daicos against Hawthorn in "Persistent Pies" - the magnificent video of our 1992 season). 4 Collingwood players received coaches votes in that game - De Goey wasn't one of them (to save you looking them up, they were Sidebottom, Adams, Cox and Grundy).
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Pies4shaw wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:

De Goey was easily in the top 10 Collingwood players on the ground in that game, trailing a long way behind Sidebottom, Grundy and Pendlebury, who carried the team on their back in that match, as usual. Also, well behind Adams and Langdon. The game isn't won or lost on the contents of the highlights reel (see, eg, Peter Daicos against Hawthorn in "Persistent Pies" - the magnificent video of our 1992 season). 4 Collingwood players received coaches votes in that game - De Goey wasn't one of them (to save you looking them up, they were Sidebottom, Adams, Cox and Grundy).
I was talking about todays game, and would think Damien was as well, given the context of his post......

EDIT: Soz just read the rest of the post, well he played pretty well that game as well, but they all did really, Langers had a cracker if memory serves
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Who was it who said Hosk would kick 3 goals? Well he got two and could have more.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Barring the umpires Collingwood should have won by an easy 4/5 goals