Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^ This was a bit like when Frank Vitkovic went postal. No political objective - "just" a murderous idiot.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

I'm annoyed about the whole opportunistic shite going on so close to the appalling actions of last Friday:

1. Blame the Police (as Culprit & I noted earlier);
2. Police blame magistrates & parole (yet the Police did not appeal the decision or decisions that have been many & varied over the course of recent times)
3. More money in mental health is a truism & needs to happen but for prof McGorry & Dr Helen Schultz to come out so brazenly now is nothing short of self serving shite.
4. Mathew Guy the state opposition leader trying to get political mileage so soon after the event deserves contempt
5. The right wing nut jobs and terror, the conspiracy theory nutters- well they always deserve disrespect & I apologise for listing them here as though they deserve some merit by placing them alongside Police & the law.
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

^^ agree wholeheartedly.
Self serving, self righteous blaming does nothing to help prevent the recurrence of such acts in the future. If anything it's counterproductive.
Side by side.
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

David wrote: The only real question here is: why is it so important to you to believe that every atrocity that occurs is an Islamist terror attack?
Skids, you didn't answer the key part of David's question. Why is it so important to you that ....its an Islamist terror attack?

It seems to me that you wanted the perpetrator of the CBD attack to be a Muslim. Why is that?
Side by side.
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

watt price tully wrote:I'm annoyed about the whole opportunistic shite going on so close to the appalling actions of last Friday:

2. Police blame magistrates & parole (yet the Police did not appeal the decision or decisions that have been many & varied over the course of recent times)
3. More money in mental health is a truism & needs to happen but for prof McGorry & Dr Helen Schultz to come out so brazenly now is nothing short of self serving shite.
4. Mathew Guy the state opposition leader trying to get political mileage so soon after the event deserves contempt
5. The right wing nut jobs and terror, the conspiracy theory nutters- well they always deserve disrespect & I apologise for listing them here as though they deserve some merit by placing them alongside Police & the law.
my sister has been working in family violence for a couple of years, believe me, they try try try to get judges to do things differently, but until its too late, nope, perps rights come first. it wears you down, She is about to take up a new post (in the city, trying to get this sort of shit changed)
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Skids »

npalm wrote:
David wrote: The only real question here is: why is it so important to you to believe that every atrocity that occurs is an Islamist terror attack?
Skids, you didn't answer the key part of David's question. Why is it so important to you that ....its an Islamist terror attack?

It seems to me that you wanted the perpetrator of the CBD attack to be a Muslim. Why is that?
I didn't want the perpetrator to exist :!: let alone be of any religious background. I simply heard through media and social media that he is a Muslim.

There will be terrorist attacks by radical Muslims in this country due to our piss weak governments policy on immigration and pandering to these nut jobs.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:I'm annoyed about the whole opportunistic shite going on so close to the appalling actions of last Friday:

my sister has been working in family violence for a couple of years, believe me, they try try try to get judges to do things differently, but until its too late, nope, perps rights come first. it wears you down, She is about to take up a new post (in the city, trying to get this sort of shit changed)
The police however have not appealed decisions though (not your sister) so I find it self serving for them to complain about issues when they do little about it.

(I realised this out to be in the Bourke street thread) :oops:
think positive
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

The police can't appeal everything, they have work to do, like chasing the last lot of **** released when they should not have been, it all takes time and a mountain of paperwork, the fricken judge should not have let him out

judge, hmm this guy is a bit feral looking, oh look he beat up his own family, so mr policeman, what do you think, should he be out before trial? mr policeman: NO

oh come on now, everyone deserves a second chance, and he might be innocent, that black eye could be charcoal or something. mr policeman: check out his facebook page, he is ranting about doing nasty stuff.

free speech, free speech! $50 and his mothers dirty laundry, bailed
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
watt price tully

think positive wrote:The police can't appeal everything, they have work to do, like chasing the last lot of **** released when they should not have been, it all takes time and a mountain of paperwork, the fricken judge should not have let him out

judge, hmm this guy is a bit feral looking, oh look he beat up his own family, so mr policeman, what do you think, should he be out before trial? mr policeman: NO

oh come on now, everyone deserves a second chance, and he might be innocent, that black eye could be charcoal or something. mr policeman: check out his facebook page, he is ranting about doing nasty stuff.

free speech, free speech! $50 and his mothers dirty laundry, bailed
Police prosecutions can appeal. They chose not to here & I also think the with the Jill Meagher murderer. They admitted their error with Meagher . That's why I find it hypocritical when the police haven't used the legal mechanisms available to them then complain about it post fact. It's not all second chance or as mechanistic as that. Like with example Skids used elsewhere there are are a number off factors that come into play as P4S has explained too.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:^^^ This was a bit like when Frank Vitkovic went postal. No political objective - "just" a murderous idiot.
yep. Julian Knight, Martin Bryant.....

All acts fit most of the definition of terrorism as is generally understood, except for the motivation.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Canada mosque killings.

Bloody Muslims.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

I guess that one doesn't make the list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... ck-mosque/

This is what happens when politicians exploit fear and division: more violence from Islamic extremists and more violence against Muslims from right-wing extremists. The two feed and sustain each other. We see this in Israel and Palestine since Netanyahu took power, in the Rwanda genocide and even in relationships with mutual domestic violence: a process of escalation that causes more and more damage on both sides and makes the prospect of reconciliation more and more distant. The world is gradually being turned over to governments who only understand the language of escalation, and none of us will be able to escape the consequences.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange