Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Wonka

Post by Wonka »

MAY-Z wrote:
Wonka wrote:
Brodie Grundy has played his last game for Collingwood, according to the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph, after a crucial meeting which saw the club declare his salary needs to be off-loaded.

“Let me tell you what’s happening - I can’t explain why it’s happening,” Ralph said on On the Couch.

“So at Collingwood Brodie Grundy has played his last game at the club, barring an extraordinary backflip. This has all been driven by Collingwood, not Grundy.

“My understanding is the football boss Graham Wright met with Grundy’s management and said we need his cap space off the boks. It enabled him to look around, he chose Melbourne over Port Adelaide and Geelong.

“He only wants to go to Melbourne, he will go to Melbourne. The Pies have a little bit of interest in Sam Hayes, who is the Port Adelaide tap ruckman.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-tr ... 897f156563
Please no to Sam Hayes, has taken years in the SANFL to look remotely competent, and port preferred to be ruckless in the last half of this season rather than play him

If we are going for another Ruck it should be Lloyd Meek, as i suggested somehwere else on here
Lloyd Meek has nominated Hawthorn.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I wonder if Adam Tomlinson could be part of a deal for Grundy?
Presti35
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

No to Lynch and no to Tomlinson for me.

I believe we went for Tomlinson a few years back when he was a free agent, but he went with the Dees.

Been there for 3 seasons for only 28 games and missed their Flag after an ACL injury.

Has just turned 29 and will be 30 in August next year. He has been very good in the VFL for Casey, but I'm not sure if he's the right fit.

Weideman has also been linked in the trade for Grundy, but he's another that many would prefer to pass on.

Could we just go for picks?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Just read the article on Foxsports from Jon Ralph claiming that Grundy is almost certainly going to Melbourne.
PieSource on twitter says that Grundy to Melbourne is a "done deal".
I am attempting to make sense of all of this
First, I want to make clear my total disagreement with posters such as Eddie Smith who claim that Grundy lost motivation after he secured a life time deal.
Excellence in general is not about money, it is about the motivation to achieve one's best, reaching the limits of personal potential, and about contributing to an overall project in solidarity with others.
Pure money in general motivates no one except capitalist socipaths such as Bezos and Musk,whose role is purely parasitic. That is, the motivation of money pure and simple leads to excellence only in the immediate gratification of self interest. No athlete in a team sport could ever be driven by such parameters.
Moreover, no athlete in an individual sport could be either. Look at all the Olympic athletes who are certain of no monetary gain whatsoever from their endeavours.
I have no doubt that if Grundy stays with us, he will be fighting with his full mental and physical capacities to excel. As I have said in previous posts, we have no idea yet what that could potentially look like in the new game plan and coaching style of Fly McCrae.
That is why I am so sad at the prospect of us trading out Grundy.
Yet it appears from several sources that this is exactly what we are trying to do.
I am attempting to make sense of this, and the only way I can is by assuming that the latest thinking in AFL strategy is that the role of the ruckman is not as significant as we assessed back when we offered Grundy the deal. We are now thinking that all our financial resources could best be deployed by moving Grundy out of the salary cap and replacing him with a set of other players who could cover other roles, because winning the ruck tap out is no longer considered so important.
To me, this reasoning still seems compromised by the lack of empirical evidence on how we could actually utilise Grundy's attributes within our new game style. He barely played this year.
I just hope that we know what we are doing.
Go Pies!!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

You are right, it’s not always about financial motivation, most professional athletes want to achieve the ultimate goal whether that’s a premiership or an Olympic medal. Grundy has said that doesn’t motivate him…

Anyway, as for the reassessing the role of the ruckman, unfortunately for Collingwood everyone knew this in 2019 except it seems for Ned Guy and Nathan Buckley.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

eddiesmith wrote:You are right, it’s not always about financial motivation, most professional athletes want to achieve the ultimate goal whether that’s a premiership or an Olympic medal. Grundy has said that doesn’t motivate him…

Anyway, as for the reassessing the role of the ruckman, unfortunately for Collingwood everyone knew this in 2019 except it seems for Ned Guy and Nathan Buckley.
I think it was Ned Guy and Geoff Walsh who did the contracts.
- Side By Side -
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

eddiesmith wrote:You are right, it’s not always about financial motivation, most professional athletes want to achieve the ultimate goal whether that’s a premiership or an Olympic medal. Grundy has said that doesn’t motivate him.
That's not what he said at all. You're being disengenous and misrepresenting what he said which is how you usually operate. He said he wouldn't be defined solely by his football career which is entirely different. Give the lying a rest. You can make a clear case for moving him on without the juvenile character assassination.
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

nomadjack wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:You are right, it’s not always about financial motivation, most professional athletes want to achieve the ultimate goal whether that’s a premiership or an Olympic medal. Grundy has said that doesn’t motivate him.
That's not what he said at all. You're being disengenous and misrepresenting what he said which is how you usually operate. He said he wouldn't be defined solely by his football career which is entirely different. Give the lying a rest. You can make a clear case for moving him on without the juvenile character assassination.
1. Plenty of people who actually support Collingwood and not the mercenary viewed it the same way.

2. It’s not a great look for a bloke who’s just signed a $7 million contract to be talking about how premierships aren’t important and clearly shows where his head is at.

Around the same time you had the skipper talking of how he desperately wants another premiership before he retired.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ It doesn't matter how "plenty of people" (ie, our own resident arsehole troll eddiesmith) viewed the comments - it isn't what he said.
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

nomadjack wrote:
you don't need to listen word for word what he said, you can judge his motivations based on the contract he signed

Collingwood didn't come to him and say here is 7 year 7 million dollar contract, and he signed it on the spot.

There was a prolonged period of him driving the price to which he would consider signing up and up, knowing full well that in a salary cap environment every dollar you increase your pay decreases the ability to pay or recruit others,and thus reduce the chances of playing in a premiership
Last edited by MAY-Z on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

DP
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ It doesn't matter how "plenty of people" (ie, our own resident arsehole troll eddiesmith) viewed the comments - it isn't what he said.
Aww, someone’s getting very upset now. It must be very upsetting that Collingwood is about to get better and your great grandson is going to end Melbournes premiership window…
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

MAY-Z wrote:
nomadjack wrote:
you don't need to listen word for word what he said, you can judge his motivations based on the contract he signed

Collingwood didn't come to him and say here is 7 year 7 million dollar contract, and he signed it on the spot.

There was a prolonged period of him driving the price to which he would consider signing up and up, knowing full well that in a salary cap environment every dollar you increase your pay decreases the ability to pay or recruit others,and thus reduce the chances of playing in a premiership
Ok, on that logic you can argue every other high price player in the competition is motivated by money rather than team success.
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

the vast majority of players take less to keep good sides together, they don't force the home club to pay top market value for them. you can not deny that Grundy has made Collingwood pay absolute full value and above to keep him

Geelong never pay full market, hawthorn never did during their premierships

Essendon did during the early 2000s to Hird, Lloyd and Fletcher, that forced Blumfield, Caracella, Heffernan etc out the door and meant they only got 1 flag from one of the most dominant lists of all time
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Jeremy Cameron on equivalent coin to Grundy says hi. I'm not arguing Grundy isn't overpriced, but he's a long way from Robinson Crusoe when it comes to players extracting full value in contract negotiations. To suggest that means players are not motivated by on field team success is ridiculous. Eddie's also got a very short memory. I seem to remember his favorite player dragging out the negotiations in 2012 to get full value for himself. Didn't hear anything about selfish motivations back then despite the salary squeeze and impact it had on contracts for other players such as Ben Reid, Dayne Beams and Tyson Goldsack.