Post Match v Wet Toast, All comments here thank you!

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

carcarly_pieland

Tom Davidson?

Post by carcarly_pieland »

I didn't Tom Davidson (aka the next Tarrant) play on Sat night? Is he injured again???
Joel

Post by Joel »

Davidson didn't play on Saturday night. I think they are easing him back into it. He hasn't played a single game in over a season, and I think playing him in a game against the Eagles would be a bit rough on him.
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

Joel wrote:Davidson didn't play on Saturday night. I think they are easing him back into it. He hasn't played a single game in over a season, and I think playing him in a game against the Eagles would be a bit rough on him.

Do you people have any real football knowledge, ok i see, we flew all the way to perth and back without really caring about if we win or lose or get flogged is that the picture.
I'll tell ya all something this club will be and should be very very concerned at the investment its put into some of our younger guys who on saturday night showed us they are not up to AFL level they might be superstars for wiliamstown BUT at AFL level these guys are no where near and might not never be!!

We have no more television time until the season starts do you really believe club and sponsors would be jumping over the moon at that one !!

Membership sales will probably stall for a bit...like it or not winning clubs sells memberships..do you still reckon the club will be doing cartwheels over that loss!!

This has been a shocking loss for collingwood in more ways than one and it hasnt got a lot of time to get it right, other clubs have and will improve, if we cant get anything from the younger untried guys kiss the season goodbye.

Remember also the last 3 years we have had a golden run with injuries, if this season we get injuries and i mean injuries we're in big trouble!!
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

scoobydoo wrote:Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't Freo beat us two years ago in the first round of the Wizard Cup? We still did o.k & played off in the Granny
In 2002 we played Sydney, Hawthorn & the Kangaroos and in all 3 matches we got:

a: Thrashed
b: Comfortably beaten

We still made the GF and would have won if...I won't go on about it.

As for Williams:
Postitives:
He creates a contest, has good hands, 75% chance of taking most marks, knows (generally) where the goals are. Very gutsy player.

Negatives:
Misses goals he should kick, fumbles, not much awareness, confidence player.
I think that Willo can be a key to this side by standing up as a 3rd or 4th marking option inside 50. I think we should lay off him for a while and then judge him again in round 12 as we do all the other players. If he can produce his form of rounds 1-3 2003 then he, and us, will be going great guns.
Joel

Post by Joel »

joffa corfe wrote:
Joel wrote:Davidson didn't play on Saturday night. I think they are easing him back into it. He hasn't played a single game in over a season, and I think playing him in a game against the Eagles would be a bit rough on him.

Do you people have any real football knowledge, ok i see, we flew all the way to perth and back without really caring about if we win or lose or get flogged is that the picture.

Okay, so why highlight what I said, and what does it have to with what I said? I answered a question from another person, and uyou have highlighted what I said and gone off on a completely different tangent. What has 'real' football knowledge got to do with it? Would you rather risk a player that did a serious knee injury, and hasn't played for a season, in a Wizzer Cup game against a team with a near full strength squad? That is suicide. What's the point? For the sake of a dollar?

I just want to clear that up, because by highlighting my post, it seems you are having a go at me.
jeff corfe

Post by jeff corfe »

Nah relax joel and take a bex it was a mistake.

Look the thing is and excuse me for a minute but on saturday night we took our depth over ' the younger brigade" guys that havnt played senior football or much senior football, this was there moment to show club and supporter the faith the establishment has put in them..the failed to honor that faith, now the question is and quite rightly are they up to senior football on a regular basis
Only time will tell, i hope they do for the sake of the continuing bright future of this club.
Joel

Post by Joel »

I agree that some/most of the younger guys failed to deliver, but I guess most players do in their first up games.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

i think the writing was on the wall last year when no Collingwood players playing for Willy could consistently get B.O.G. Consistent B.O.G's went to Fletcher,West & Mahoney. Nixon,King,Cloke,Richards could hardly put 2 good matches together( i mean real good games) now they are being exposed.
piedys
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by piedys »

magpie greg wrote:Geelong defeated us by 88 points R1 1982 after our consecutive GF appearances - we won four games for the season.
I remember we beat Geelong on the siren in rnd.22, thanks to a missed shot at goal by Clarke perhaps? We also beat St.Kilda at Vic Park (just?), maybe Melbourne and ...? My memory seems selective for '82 season!

dyso
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

Joffa, I agree it was disappointing that the youngsters didnt have a good night. BUT, from listening to Malthouse and others, it was VERY clear that we did NOT want to win Saturday night. Whilst noone want to be flogged, there is not doubt that the match committe did NOT want to continue in the Wizard Cup.
Johnson#26

Todays News

Post by Johnson#26 »

Todays News

Magpies embarrassed
By Michael Stevens
February 24, 2004
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 11,00.html

COLLINGWOOD veteran Scott Burns yesterday admitted the Magpies' 105-point loss to West Coast was embarrassing.
Thrashing a wake-up call for Pies, says Burns
By Karen Lyon
February 24, 2004
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 14673.html
An embarrassed Collingwood will become stronger after the 105-point thrashing at the hands of West Coast in the first round of the Wizard Cup on Saturday night, star player Scott Burns believes.
Sporting Life
By Geoff McClure
February 24, 2004
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/ ... 13528.html
For Mick, it's hair today . . .

You only have to walk the corridors of McHale Stadium to realise who rules at Collingwood Football Club, that man unmistakably being its coach of four years, Mick Malthouse.
magpie meg

Post by magpie meg »

johnson26# i agree with your comments on williams, and once round 12 comes along hopefully he will be a star along with all our youngsters!!!
Lets also hope that Ben Kinnear stands up and has a stellar season or his 7 years at collingwood will be a bigger waste than they already have been.
Partyn & the pies is there nemore to life???
swooper
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

The thing that riles me the most about this loss, is the fact that our young boys, in the most part, did not deliver, nor did they show that they will in the near future! I hope I am proved wrong, as I am the last person to want to bag or knock my own team. I have had a feeling for sometime now, that our depth is lacking, and have always worried about the prospect of losing top players to injury. I can kinda understand the more senior players not being too tuned into the game and not wanting to go in too hard, but I wouldve expected the younger guys would have had much more to prove and would have been out there, wanting to impress the coaching staff.
I never expected us to win, but to lose the way we did, was appalling, wizz fizz game or not. I never like seeing the mighty B & W reduced to a rabble.
Having said all that, I think its probably a pretty good thing that we have been knocked out of the series, and deep down, Im sure MM is glad too. I hope that the young boys took away some vital lessons and had their yearly reality check. Round 1 will reveal more, so bring it on.
chicken wing

Post by chicken wing »

Loads of turncoats around the place...

You can't have it both ways - on the one hand you want tough-nuts, which is what the club has tried to recruit (e.g. King and Shakleton) and on the other hand you bag them for being too slow and too chunky. Hello! Name me one lean, athletic, speedy player that could deliver a shit-your-pants shirtfront?

The young guys were in the team to gain some experience, not to announce themselves as the next group of AFL champions. Guy Richards was a huge positive to come out of this match - he did some good things, he can kick and isn't a lumbering dinosaur. And, it wasn't long ago that the slightest breeze would've blown him out of the ground, now he's got the bulk to go with most. Bo Nixon looked good, which is fantastic because we could have a key-position player in the making.

And I can't believe the flack that Williams cops...he's just a kid as well. He is a great mark for his size and he is brave to the point of stupidity (surely he can't keep taking knocks like that without his health suffering). Chipper had his chance and every time the ball-hog took posession he would just run madly in the general direction of our goals...never mind if there were 5 opposition players waiting to mow him down up ahead, as they often did.

Finally, its a positive to be out of the Wizard cup so that our players heads are filled with the game plans designed for artificial rules...the sooner they can concentrate on home-and-away match plans the better.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Er Chickie my friend here is a list of tough men you weren't/aren't slow or over chunky. Forgive me for listing some of the names.

John Worsfold, Fraser Brown, Gary Ablett, Byron Pickett, Gavin Wanganeen, Wayne Carey, Glenn Archer, Ned Kelly, Anthony Rocca, Mark Riccuito, Campbell Brown, Dermott Brereton, Leigh Matthews, Gary Ayres, Duncan Kellaway, Aaron Hamill, Damian Hardwick, Mark Johnson, Jason Johnson, Solomon. etc These guys could all knock the $hite our of you at any given time.

To make an impact you have to be able to get to the contest.

Shacks won't get there till he gets rid of his two bags of oranges.

Kingy just needs to get rid of one or half of one.

Agree about chipper.. Malthouse summed it up when he said the Eagles abandoned their defense and just ran forward. Pretty hard to do much when that is happening and the other team is clearing the ball from the guts every ball up.