Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

stui magpie wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Maybe Brodie will note what champions who are willing to sacrifice salary for team success have achieved at the Cats?
Making note of it is one thing, once a contract has been lodged with the AFL player can't then (as far as I know) renegotiate a cut in salary unless it's to spread the same money out over a longer period.

Say we currently owe him $5m over 5 years. We extend that to $5m over 7 years which would be $714k pa but would mean he would be playing past 35 years old.
While it was a "7mil over 7yrs" it was back ended to a degree.
That is- we owe him more than %m over the next 5 which is the problem I beleive.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

I think you’ll be surprised as to how much of this has been happening across all clubs for many, many years… Grundy and Treloar aren’t the only two! I’d say every club is paying a portion of 2-5 salaries of players no longer with them, all of varying amounts.

It’ll only become more common.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by piffdog »

burnsy17 wrote:I think you’ll be surprised as to how much of this has been happening across all clubs for many, many years… Grundy and Treloar aren’t the only two! I’d say every club is paying a portion of 2-5 salaries of players no longer with them, all of varying amounts.

It’ll only become more common.
I think I read a player manager saying something similar recently about how common this actually is/was.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Article here, the AFL is about to make changes to legitimise salary dumping in this years trade period.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/clu ... 5bjbv.html
Clubs also have the option to do things like bundling an attractive early draft pick with a highly paid player in a trade for just a lowly pick as a way of getting the player’s salary off the books.

As one AFL club recruiter put it: there would barely be an AFL club that isn’t paying a portion of the salary of a former player to play at another club.
Rather than trying to offload highly paid players for high draft picks, you can actually bundle a highly played player with a high draft pick as incentive for another club to take on their salary.
The change will allow clubs with a large amount of salary cap space but few draft picks - North Melbourne this year, for example - to use their salary cap space as a tool to effectively buy themselves a draft pick. That is, to get a good draft pick you have to take the expensive player.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Big T »

I hope we learn from this debacle. We could have had 2 first rounders for Grundy.
Buon Giorno
Born to Pie
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

Big T wrote:I hope we learn from this debacle. We could have had 2 first rounders for Grundy.
I agree with your statement, we need to learn from the contract negotiations prior to 2022. All of the coaching and admin positions within the club are just as important as the players we recruit. Because any and all can be the difference between success and failure.

Our contract negotiations and salary cap management over the past few years have been a dismal failure, here's hoping for a more successful future under new management.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

Grundy should retire, then we could re - hire him at less money. Or whatever money the parties agree too. Plenty of players have retired and actually re signed with other clubs (Hodge, Smith etc) why can't it be with the same club?

I still reckon there's more to money with this - Grundy just doesn't fit with the rest of the club IMO. He's not a "footballer" in the way he acts, talks, behaves etc which isn't a problem with him at all, he's his own cat as it's been said multiple times, but can he fit into a football club environment to encourage and allow success? I'm not sure. I'd be happy with a 1st round draft pick, even a late one, and see what happens,

- Ben
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Brown26 wrote: I still reckon there's more to money with this - Grundy just doesn't fit with the rest of the club IMO. He's not a "footballer" in the way he acts, talks, behaves etc which isn't a problem with him at all, he's his own cat as it's been said multiple times, but can he fit into a football club environment to encourage and allow success?
So wouldn’t that mean any football club? Which AFL club wouldn’t have this environment?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Not based on anything, but The Lad has a feeling in his waters that Grundy is not out the door as yet...

Have an inkling he may end up staying a Magpie...

Ditto De Goey...

Henry- only possibly...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Mentioned elsewhere that if JDG leaves we can then keep Grundy
That’s wrong the JDG money was always set aside
Grundy leaving isnt dependant on JDG staying or going
No matter what some care to believe Grundy and his management have pushed this agenda because of various reasons the main being Grundy doesn’t like being called to account
Secondly Wright made it clear that his salary is disproportionate to his output and value to the team (meaning $ paid for certain position)
Lastly our style doesn’t suit a player who likes to tap it at his own feet to then drop down and get a stat
For all his perceived strengths he has equal as many weaknesses
The old saying is apt her
Form is fleeting class is forever
Grundy 2020/21/22 is a shadow of Grundy 2018/19
Those banging on about Covid etc every player went through the same thing the majority haven’t had form drops anywhere near his
Bye Grundy bye JDG
Welcome in 2 first round picks and $1.5m minimum in cap space to chase a big fish
Come 2024 with Howe and Sidey gone we will have a war chest of cash (over $2.2m) to load up on a gun FF and midfielder
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

warburton lad wrote:Not based on anything, but The Lad has a feeling in his waters that Grundy is not out the door as yet...

Ditto De Goey...

Henry- only possibly...
Thanks for sharing your feelings but I don’t concur WL. I think we have lost all three for various reasons, each one different. I cannot fathom why the club is not really fighting all that hard to retain the three, maybe they have decided that Collingwood would be better off without them, and improved by whom or what they get back from the deals. Maybe the club feels that although we exceeded expectations this year, they are actually about 2 years away from glory and are building a team to seriously challenge for the flag in 2024, thus giving any new players and recruits time to settle in and learn the game plan.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

warburton lad wrote:Not based on anything, but The Lad has a feeling in his waters that Grundy is not out the door as yet...

The other clubs did not exactly trample over each other to try to recruit Grundy, so the chances of Graham Wright making a deal that satisfies him is lower than if other clubs actually rated Grundy, but if Grundy himself wants to stay, he can easily do so by accepting a $200,000-$300,000 per year salary cut, as Pendlebury might have been hinting in his last public comments.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Just the last two premiers were in the hunt.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Wonka wrote:

The other clubs did not exactly trample over each other to try to recruit Grundy, so the chances of Graham Wright making a deal that satisfies him is lower than if other clubs actually rated Grundy, but if Grundy himself wants to stay, he can easily do so by accepting a $200,000-$300,000 per year salary cut, as Pendlebury might have been hinting in his last public comments.
Put yourself in Grundy’s shoes. Would you accept a 200-300k drop of salary after you and your manager spent 6 months two years ago negotiating a 7 year 900k a year package? I think it’s better for all parties that Grundy goes to Melbourne next year. The interesting part is how Cox and Cameron go up against Grundy and Gawn when we play Melbourne in next year’s grand final.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Mentioned elsewhere that if JDG leaves we can then keep Grundy
That’s wrong the JDG money was always set aside
Grundy leaving isnt dependant on JDG staying or going
No matter what some care to believe Grundy and his management have pushed this agenda because of various reasons the main being Grundy doesn’t like being called to account
Secondly Wright made it clear that his salary is disproportionate to his output and value to the team (meaning $ paid for certain position)
Lastly our style doesn’t suit a player who likes to tap it at his own feet to then drop down and get a stat
For all his perceived strengths he has equal as many weaknesses
The old saying is apt her
Form is fleeting class is forever
Grundy 2020/21/22 is a shadow of Grundy 2018/19
Those banging on about Covid etc every player went through the same thing the majority haven’t had form drops anywhere near his
Bye Grundy bye JDG
Welcome in 2 first round picks and $1.5m minimum in cap space to chase a big fish
Come 2024 with Howe and Sidey gone we will have a war chest of cash (over $2.2m) to load up on a gun FF and midfielder
One thing doesn't have anything to do with the other at this stage. Grundy was a stand alone decision by the club and if the right pick/trade comes back from the Dees it will get done regardless of Degoey. IF there is not what we want for him coming back it wont get done.

And it was instigated by the club - albeit with a strategy to go with it.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan