Terror attacks by Islamist groups

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

The number of people considered to be extremists in the UK by MI5 is around 3,000 - around one in a thousand. I'd say that's a lot of potential mass murder, personally, where my children are concerned. Your small percentages are irrelevant when there is a large base number, and the costs - when the risks become manifest in events - are so grievous.

You would be wise to reflect a little more deeply on the nature of correlation between relevant variables. When .00001% of the mutations within a viral strain cause an epidemic of death, the correlation between death and the total presence of the virus in the population is high.

I can quite accept that the strain of Islam is clearly important when it comes to terrorist actors - Salafist strains clearly tend to be more violent, and the ex-Ottoman world (eg Albania) is relatively less affected, though poor Turkey suffers regularly from its proximity to the more deadly strains. this is relevant to the intention to avoid importing mass murderers.

As to "grave consequences", this is a good example of the way that very odd Leftist assumptions have metastasized to become mainstream. There is nothing "grave" about deciding who you permit to come into your house or your country. What a strange idea of sovereignty you Leftists have.
Two more flags before I die!
David

Post by David »

I would say the western world as a whole closing its door on the Syrian refugee crisis due to a desire to limit Muslim immigration would be a very grave consequence indeed. Have you considered the consequences of what you're suggesting?

Thank you for at least acknowledging some factors other than raw number of Muslims in the prevalence of domestic terrorist attacks, though. The more of these we acknowledge, the less likely it becomes that there will be a strong correlation between overall population size and terror attacks. Even within the 0.1% extremist category you list above, there will be (and, indeed, quite evidently are) strong fluctuations between population and enacted violence. I would suggest interrogating some of those factors further before proposing something that is likely to increase radicalisation.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Here's a thought. Syrians don't actually want to leave Syria and make new lives overseas in a strange country. They just want to be able to live their lives without all the bullshit.

We blather on about refugees which is treating the symptom. Let's put more work into treating the disease. If that means more military intervention, it does. If there's a different solution, great.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Thanks for your criticism, to lack the ability to develop emotional connection.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stui magpie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

List of Islamic Terror:
Last 30 Days

This is part of the list of Islamic terror attacks maintained by TheReligionofPeace.com.

During this time period, there were 143 Islamic attacks in 23 countries, in which 1179 people were killed and 1142 injured.

So far, this year...

there have been; 619 Islamic attacks in 41 countries, in which 4356 people were killed and 4991 injured.

Last year, 2016....

there were 2478 Islamic attacks in 59 countries, in which 21241 people were killed and 26680 injured.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David wrote:^ You're absolutely right that most Syrians don't want to leave their homeland. And yet they have, by their hundreds of thousands, because they have no other option.

The fact is that there is no magic bullet here. ....
I think millions is closer to the mark David.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

Terror investigation into Paris shooting

One police officer has been shot dead and another injured following a shooting.

A police officer has been killed and two others are seriously injured after a gunman opened fire in one of the most popular areas of Paris.

The attacker got out of a car that pulled up next to a stationary police van on the Champs-Elysees and immediately started shooting at officers.

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... Na0fk.dpuf
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Culprit »

Right on election time.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

"Police sources say suspect was arrested in February on suspicion of plotting to kill police officers but released" - with the benefit of hindsight, this looks like it may have been a poor call.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... onsibility