Collingwood reserves

The home of conversation about our Reserves team - the second best men's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie-Pep

Collingwood reserves

Post by Magpie-Pep »

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know what,where they will be playing thier Home games?

We are we going to get our top up players from. ( I hope it's from the EDFL & NFL) as they are the strongest leagues in the burbs...

thanks
Rexy17

Post by Rexy17 »

No Idea...but about time we got back to being only Collingwood
B.U.M.S ROCK...That's Ballarat United Magpies Supporters.....Long trip but even longer hangovers!
quinny

Post by quinny »

looks like home games will be at princes park
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Collingwood reserves

Post by Culprit »

Magpie-Pep wrote:Hi Guys,

Does anybody know what,where they will be playing thier Home games?

We are we going to get our top up players from. ( I hope it's from the EDFL & NFL) as they are the strongest leagues in the burbs...

thanks
Eastern Football Leauge and you will find the EFL is the strongest comp outside the VFL/AFL in Melbourne.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

The old DVFL ala NL would be competetive against most teams in Div1 in the EFL. Would they match it against Noble Park, Vermont, East Ringwood & Balwyn which was the final four this year? I would have those teams around 10 goals in front. Same with the EDFL. I grew up playng in the EDFL and did some time in the DVFL and I am now involved in the EFL.

I don't know about that Tes, pretty young squad at the Rams. You shut down the oooze (Damien Yze) your a chance. :)
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

I've heard that only one team will be used as the VFL feeder club, and that club is East Burwood.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Dale61 wrote:I've heard that only one team will be used as the VFL feeder club, and that club is East Burwood.
That is what I was told at the AGM Dale.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

So, if it does turn out to be true, East Burwood would lose their best 5-6 players every week.

If the VFL team is using Geelong as an example on building a team, then surely choosing the best players from a LEAGUE would bring better results. Geelong uses all the teams from the GFL as feeder clubs, which leads to any one GFL team 'losing' no more than 2 players every week.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

No, you will find that the VFL team will have around 14 extra players once they have selected it's team. Of these depending on injuries at both the AFL team and VFL team may come down to 4 players who will then play at East Burwood. If the lists have no injuries then all the extra players will play at East Burwood pushing East Burwood seniors down to the East Burwood's reserves. It is no different than this year when East Burwood had 3 guys at Box Hill and when they could not get a game they played back at East Burwood. A East Burwood player will only play for Collingwood VFL if they recruit him. If they do he will still have East Burwood as his second team if he does not get a game. At the moment East Burwood have 14 VFL listed players. If they do not get a game they play for the Rams. This will be the same with the Collingwood players. I do know that there are a few trying out for Collingwoods VFL squad.

To add if Joe Blogs plays for Bundoora and gets picked up by Collingwoods VFL team. He will be asked to nominate East Burwood but he does not have to the choice is up to the player as always.

Does that make sense to you Dale?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

East Burwood? Oh come on, surely they could have found plenty of better clubs than that?
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

eddiesmith wrote:East Burwood? Oh come on, surely they could have found plenty of better clubs than that?
They could have but they all wanted money. :lol:

The involvement will be very minimal I think you will find. :wink:
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Just to add, any VFL Collingwood Player that cannot get a game in the VFL team will require a VFL approved Permit to play for his nominated Local Club. This is standard across all local competitions. Many VFL clubs refuse the players permits to play or as in many cases the players are named as emergencies and will not be allowed a permit to play as they may be required by their VFL team or they do not want them to risk injury.
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

So, in other words, East Burwood won't be used as the top-up club, it will be used to palm off those players who don't get a game for the VFL side.

OK, now I get it.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Dale61 wrote:So, in other words, East Burwood won't be used as the top-up club, it will be used to palm off those players who don't get a game for the VFL side.

OK, now I get it.
Yep that is pretty much it.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

There are 3 categories of players who will be eligible to play for our VFL side.

Firstly, current Collingwood players on our list who don't get selected to play for the 1sts.

Secondly, a further 10 or 11 players who are designated as our core VFL players.

Thirdly, a group of around 15 others, who will be top up players, used only when we are short of numbers due to injuries. I think the plan is for these players will play for East Burwood when they are not required by Collingwood.