Destination Club: We now are (2024 edit - or are we not?)?)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Destination Club: We now are (2024 edit - or are we not?)?)

Post by inxs88 »

If we are true to ourselves vs believing the hubris, the Magpies have never been a bona fide destination club. Comparing ourselves to Carlton, Hawthorn, Richmond and Sydney in particular over 40 years, we have been dwarfed in this critical area. To illustrate:

* Carlton: Kernahan, Bradley, Motley, Naley, Diesel, Judd, G Wells, Bosustow, Hunter, J Madden, Rhys-Jones, Saad, Cerra.

* Hawthorn: Buckenara, Platten, Hall, D Jarman, Salmon, Rehn, Spider Everitt, Gibson, S Burgoyne, Hale, Gunston, Lake, B McEvoy, J Frawley, T Mitchell, J O'Meara, J Scrimshaw, Wingard.

* Richmond: D Gaspar, N Brown, K Johnson, Nankervis, Caddy, Prestia, T Lynch, Taranto, Hopper.

* Sydney: G Healy, Neagle, Toohey, Kappler, R Osborne, P Roos, Maxfield, Schwass, Lockett, Hall, D Kickett, P Williams, N Davis, Jolly, P Everitt, S Mumford, Tippett, Buddy Franklin.

Sure we have had some successes over this period with:

* N Buckley
* A Rocca
* P Licuria
* Howe
* D Cloke
* S Morwood
* Luke Ball
* Darren Jolly
* B Taylor

Yes we have turned some solid players selections such as Crisp, Clement and Wakelin into great players but the premise here is the targeting and recruitment of top players succeeding with their prior club.

So hopefully with Craig Kelly, Jeff Browne and Craig Macrae, the recent attraction of T Mitchell, McStay and B Hill is a sign of things to come.
Last edited by inxs88 on Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

I sense that we will become a more desired place for talented players to come to
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

The recruiting for 2023 adressed some conceived deficiencies.

Although Ginnivan & Elliott were very good forwards as was Checkers we lacked a strong tall forward. Enter McStay & extra small goal kicker Hill

Clearance from contest was a low point. Enter Tich

Backs were our strength but to have an experienced replacement. Enter Marcov

A lock to the future got young Steene

And some promising youth to boot
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

If you want to be destination club, then a good start is plenty of salary cap space. Throw in by a better than 50% winning ratio for the last year or two and you’re well on the way.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"You are my density"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

For a few decades, I suspect we have over-paid many of our players, perhaps because of the hype our fans create about them. This has resulted in very little salary-cap space to use to attract stars from other clubs. Hopefully, this record of poor list management is now just an historic artefact, with Wright now in charge. That's why some very hard and difficult decisions have been made the last couple of years in letting Treloar and Grundy go.

I am hoping we will now be in a position to make a play for a genuine A Grade full forward at the end of 2023.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I wonder too whether playing under Fly and the culture he is building is attractive to some players.

There was a class of players who wanted to play under Bucks, but I suspect there was also a class that really didn't want to as well.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

BazBoy wrote:Backs were our strength but to have an experienced replacement. Enter Marcov
Roughead retired. Enter Frampton
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

BazBoy meant Frampton
Sorry
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
BazBoy wrote:Backs were our strength but to have an experienced replacement. Enter Marcov
Roughead retired. Enter Frampton
Speaking of Roughead, there's another top-line former premiership player who has been picked up by Collingwood. I think if we were going to honestly stack our history against other clubs', one would have to include players like him.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

The original post is a dogs breakfast as it includes players recruited from the WAFL and SANFL prior to the draft.

We've had our share of those players, Kelly, Christian, Russell and Francis were all 1990 Premiership players

Yeah, we haven't had a lot of lack attracting big fish, but we have been smart in recruiting role players like Roughy. We got Lipinski out of the Dogs, Cameron from Sydney, now Frampton. We got McStay to sign who is hardly Jeremy Cameron but Brisbane still wanted him to stay but he chose to come.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:I wonder too whether playing under Fly and the culture he is building is attractive to some players.

There was a class of players who wanted to play under Bucks, but I suspect there was also a class that really didn't want to as well.
The main ones who wanted to play with Bucks where Coached by him in the u-18's
I am Da Man
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

stui magpie wrote:The original post is a dogs breakfast as it includes players recruited from the WAFL and SANFL prior to the draft.

We've had our share of those players, Kelly, Christian, Russell and Francis were all 1990 Premiership players

Yeah, we haven't had a lot of lack attracting big fish, but we have been smart in recruiting role players like Roughy. We got Lipinski out of the Dogs, Cameron from Sydney, now Frampton. We got McStay to sign who is hardly Jeremy Cameron but Brisbane still wanted him to stay but he chose to come.
You're missing the point. The WAFL, SANFL players etc... such as Platten, Hunter, Bosustow, Kernahan etc... were "Form Four" player transfers (google it) and were essentially the alternate trade mechanism we have now where clubs like Hawthorn and Carlton created destination club attractiveness and secured these generational stars. Ourselves? We targeted Garry Shaw.

The over-arching point being is that one of the fundamental reasons we have won 2 flags post 1958 is the lack of attracting the "correct superstars" to our club.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who thinks the depth is still an issue at Collingwood i do.
Just dont think we have the depth to become really successfull.
Still alot depends on injuries.