Labor loves tax

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Labor loves tax

Post by What'sinaname »

and like that, Labor remove the LMITO.

"More than 10 million middle-income Australians will cop one of the largest tax increases in Australian history after the May federal budget."

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/t ... 2db597bf1d
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

This tax offset was only meant to be a temporary measure until the stage three tax cuts came along.The Morrison government only legislated it until the 2021 2022 financial year,so it was always going to end this year anyway,no matter who was in power.

This story from the Australia Institute explains the situation in detail.

https://australiainstitute.org.au/post/ ... -increase/

So if you want to blame anyone for the end of the tax offset,then blame Morrison and Frydenberg.They designed the system,after all.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Labor have a majority in Parliament in 2023 so they could have extended LMITO if they had wanted to, but they chose not to.
doriswilgus

Post by doriswilgus »

Yes,they could have.But the point is the Liberals weren’t going to extend it themselves.They could have made it permanent in their last budget but chose not to.They extended it for a year just to get them through the election last year,which they lost anyway.
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Trying to speculate what the Liberals intended to do is as accurate as reading tea leaves.

The point is, Labor made a decision not to extend the tax offset. That's their decision, nothing to do with the Liberals, and whether it's the right or wrong thing to do, they have to own that decision.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

It's all a bit trivial in the scheme ofthings, isn't it?
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yes, it is.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Woods Of Ypres
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

I'm so tired of this government bending normal Australians over

I can now expect a tax bill this year despite paying $22K in PAYG tax already due my circumstances below:

- ~$90K salary full-time
- No family/ dependents
- No deductions to claim (office job, no investment property)
- Medicare Levy Surcharge

I refuse private health, I have no use for it (i am relatively fit/healthy)

my brother (tradie) earns about 150K, has 5 x houses and gets fat tax returns due to deductions / expenses.

interest rate rises mean nothing to landlords either, lack of housing means they just jack up the rents to counter. can't lose.

system is busted / dated. i feel for the younger gen, they have been f**cked by this government.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:I'm so tired of this government bending normal Australians over

I can now expect a tax bill this year despite paying $22K in PAYG tax already due my circumstances below:

- ~$90K salary full-time
- No family/ dependents

my brother (tradie) earns about 150K, has 5 x houses and gets fat tax returns due to deductions / expenses.

interest rate rises mean nothing to landlords either, lack of housing means they just jack up the rents to counter. can't lose.

system is busted / dated. i feel for the younger gen, they have been f**cked by this government.
Get comfy paying more. There's at least 3 more years of it.

Just wait until the Stage 3 tax cuts are repealed.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

doriswilgus wrote:This tax offset was only meant to be a temporary measure until the stage three tax cuts came along.The Morrison government only legislated it until the 2021 2022 financial year,so it was always going to end this year anyway,no matter who was in power.

So if you want to blame anyone for the end of the tax offset,then blame Morrison and Frydenberg.They designed the system,after all.
Now you’re being logical and rational as well as using clear thinking. Whatsinaname is still hoping Scotty Morrison can make a comeback.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:I'm so tired of this government bending normal Australians over

- ~$90K salary full-time
- No family/ dependents

Well they have to clean up 10 years of the Liberals giving Australia the worst budget deficit in its history. You can thank Scotty from Marketing and Josh from accounts for stuffing the economy, spending like drunken sailors and the ALP for cleaning it up.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
doriswilgus

Post by doriswilgus »

watt price tully wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:This tax offset was only meant to be a temporary measure until the stage three tax cuts came along.The Morrison government only legislated it until the 2021 2022 financial year,so it was always going to end this year anyway,no matter who was in power.

Now you’re being logical and rational as well as using clear thinking. Whatsinaname is still hoping Scotty Morrison can make a comeback.
Thanks WPT.I think facts do matter,especially when people clearly get them wrong.There’s no harm in pointing that out to people,even if they don’t like to hear it.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

watt price tully wrote: Well they have to clean up 10 years of the Liberals giving Australia the worst budget deficit in its history. You can thank Scotty from Marketing and Josh from accounts for stuffing the economy, spending like drunken sailors and the ALP for cleaning it up.
gee, if you think the Australian budget deficit is tantamount to stuffing up the economy, then I hate to think what you think of Victoria's record budget deficit?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ You "love tax" or love other people being taxed?