Vale ~ The Coodabeen Champions

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Vale ~ The Coodabeen Champions

Post by LaurieHolden »

The Coodabeens began on community radio station 3RRR in 1981.
I have very fond memories of listening to the team while sitting in the Victoria Park Social Club watching the U19's and Reserves.

Too many characters to mention, buy Timmy from Thomastown who is a big Craig Starcevich fan but has family problems, often being left at the ground because Dad was taken away by the constabulary. Digger who has supported Collingwood "for a very long time" and blowing up after the umpires "crucified us" or when he turned his b& w tv sideways for the 89GF so it was like watching Collingwood & the Bears. These are distinctly Collingwood hence dropping this in the main board. And who couldn't forget Cliff's rumour sources...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3OsKC ... =aussie80s

What are some of the Nicksters favourite moments?

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/iconic-c ... c-13721554
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

I loved digger. At one stage when we were near bottom of the ladder and we won 2 games in a row, Digger rang and said something like - " We'll be premiers but this talk about back to back flags is over the top".
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

Early days were the best, Digger, Timmy, Helen from Healesville and the Indian bloke from the temple etc. I think a real anti-Collingwood bias came through in latter days put me off.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

It was way too full of Adelaide and Geelong boys, for my liking, pretending to understand Melbourne's footy culture. They always struck me as being outsiders, desperately wanting to be seen as insiders.

Nevertheless, like mentioned above, Digger was certainly a memorable and loveable character.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Used to listen to the Couldabeens on the long drive back to Wagga after games at the G; very fond memories

'P76
Leyland P76
You are a horrible car
and I dislike you'
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I will never forget the quiz question, "What was Morris Rioli Jnr's father's first name?"

Remembering that it was a real, if benign quiz with real callers:
CBC: "What was Morris Rioli Jnr's father's first name?"
Caller: "Umm..."
CBC: "What was Morris Rioli JUNIOR'S father's first name?"
Caller: "Ahh..."
CBC: "Morris Rioli JUNIOR... His FATHER..."
Caller: "Ooh..."
CBC: "Ok. If Gary Ablett Jnr's father's first name was Gary, Morris Rioli Jnr's father's first name would be..."
Caller: "Umm... Gaaarrrry??"

I had to pull off the road.
duggieboy
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

The Indian guru's predictions - accent cracked me up more than anything
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

Digger and john Farnham where my favourite was Tony Léonard part of the coodabeens
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

duggieboy wrote:The Indian guru's predictions - accent cracked me up more than anything
Yes I loved Greg Champion who did the Indian Temple Guru character, was a great singer/composer of parodies and a fine guitarist. He was brilliant.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

I loved Digger. I particularly recall when he got upset after a practice match between Collingwood reserves who defeated the firsts - he was upset because "they firsts were robbed by the umpires."
Believer
swooper
Has liked: 55 times

Re: Vale ~ The Coodabeen Champions

Post by swooper »

LaurieHolden wrote:The Coodabeens began on community radio station 3RRR in 1981.
I have very fond memories of listening to the team while sitting in the Victoria Park Social Club watching the U19's and Reserves.

Too many characters to mention, buy Timmy from Thomastown who is a big Craig Starcevich fan but has family problems, often being left at the ground because Dad was taken away by the constabulary. Digger who has supported Collingwood "for a very long time" and blowing up after the umpires "crucified us" or when he turned his b& w tv sideways for the 89GF so it was like watching Collingwood & the Bears. These are distinctly Collingwood hence dropping this in the main board. And who couldn't forget Cliff's rumour sources...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3OsKC ... =aussie80s

What are some of the Nicksters favourite moments?

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/iconic-c ... c-13721554
Thank you for sharing. Did not realise that. Used to really enjoy listening to them over the years, the talk back callers were always the best part of the show :-)
Harrysz

Post by Harrysz »

The guy you're talking about was Guru Bob. He was hilarious.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I had the pleasure of interviewing both Ian Cover and Greg Champion on community radio back in the 90s when they were at their peak. These guys never forgot their roots and were genuinely humbled to have been asked to come onto a community radio station and tell their story. Ian Cover was a natural sharp wit, while “ Champs “ was just a down to earth bloke who could put a simple tune together. These guys paved the way for adding some light hearted humour into the serious business of winning.
Go well, you good things !!
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

lazzadesilva wrote: Yes I loved Greg Champion who did the Indian Temple Guru character, was a great singer/composer of parodies and a fine guitarist. He was brilliant.
Laz, I met Greg Champion at Tamworth country festival back in early 1995.
Awesome humble bloke, had a great chat discussing music.

My fav parodies of his:
"Where do you go to my spunkrat"
[Where do you go to my lovely: Peter Sarstandt]

"Another Knee Reconsturction"
[Eve of Destruction: P.F.Sloan]

and his football anthem "A good hard look at ourselves"
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

The Coodabeen Champions - Tony's "Footy Talkback" (1989).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppCYzs_ ... rKeenan%29
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers