If its not hubris then what is it??

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

If its not hubris then what is it??

Post by slangman »

I seriously believe that hubris has permeated its way through the club and is a major reason why our season has been lacklustre and deflating.

Examples:

1. Giving away a 1st round pick for a player we didn’t actually require. This has the Dayne Beams “pay overs to top up when in the premiership window” trade written all over it. I like Schultz but we paid way, way, way overs for him.

2. Giving away a 21yo proven goalkicker for a packet chips. Ginnivan is a better player than Schultz and has more upside because of his age. A baffling decision to say the least.

3. Shuffling the assistant coaches. I’m not sure why it was necessary considering how cohesive we were across the lines last year. I would have thought that continuity would have been better and was very surprised when they announced the changes.

4. The lack of willingness to create chaos footy in the forward half which served us well last year and imho is the method that suits our forward line best as we don’t have 60+ goal big key forwards.

5. The absolute crap seating allocation that the club agreed to with the MCG. I have to say that the experience this year has been underwhelming from a membership perspective. Club 5 disappeared and was replaced by a membership category that is double the price. They get a cordoned off bar and music area at home games. I’m not sure how this is worth $1,000 more than the social club at all MCG games that we previously enjoyed. I’m not and expert in the mechanics of these agreements but I just feel that Eddie would’ve pushed harder and got a better deal.
Seriously, an extra $1,000 to sit in the same seats for the same number of games as last year. Ridiculous!!!
Has the smell of opportunism.

6. Not necessarily hubris but Graham Wright taking extended leave on the eve of the season. One we couldn’t afford to lose.

I’d love to know what others make of how we have got to where we currently are because I’m disappointed, frustrated and concerned because I see similar patterns emerging to previous Collingwood premiership teams that promised so much but all dropped away much quicker than anyone expected.
- Side By Side -
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mass never ending injuries, second only to the Tigers, has decimated the team,not hubris. Now Checkers, Cameron both gone for weeks , it never ends. NO other club could cop that and perform well, we have no stability in personnel. Our forward line disrupted, no Elliott, McStay gone for months,Shulz out too, McCreery gone too. Ginnivan is a kid in a mans body, hes done OK at the dawks, but he will stuffup again, make no mistake. To go to the races, the night prior to a GF, was a total disgrace, an insult to the team an coach.And he played very poorly, did nothing in the GF. Like Stephenson, we are well rid of him and his antics. Mcstay knows all bout his utter foolishness, first hand.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Yes the absence of Graham Wright this season has meant the adult has left the room. He is the man who is singularly responsible for turning this club culture around after Eddie tried to turn it into a one man club and various CEOs were too afraid to stand up to Eddie Everywhere. Wrighty (with his experience at Hawthorn) made the club great again. Make Collingwood Great Again - sounds good. Trouble is with all the problems you've mentioned (quite apart from the injuries) the club is now a mess again. Whoever signed off on the deal to get rid of Ginni and trade a first round pick for that Freo spud should be the first sacking Wrighty carries out on his return.

But this season is down the toilet. Thank goodness we won last year, but that's with thanks to Graham Wright.
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

Whether hubris is the issue, whether injuries is the issue or perhaps a combination of both is the issue, what cannot be ignored is:
1. The team is too slow (age related mainly).
2. Hubris or injuries do not prevent effort and commitment to the cause which to me appear to be lacking.
3. Our failure to recruit a true key position forward has now come home to really bite.
4. Baffling selection decisions eg continually leaving out Reef.
5. Other but too many to put in one post.
Believer
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

Both McStay and the retirement of Murphy, hit us very hard, one got us into last yrs GF, 3 goals v GWS, the other was Moores partner, and is sorely missed, one forgets just how vital he was down back.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Ginnivan was sacked due to off field behavior his teammates had had enough
Schultz was brought in as his replacement
Unfortunately Schultz doesnt do the flashy stuff Ginnivan did

Injuries affect outcomes deal with it
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
matrix10

Post by matrix10 »

The coach reshuffle was due to graham wrights absence isn’t it?
Coaches having to share responsibility as he was not replaced?

Schultz does a hell of a lot of unrewarded work- and I reckon had he played the previous two seasons would have been super
Ginni looked great as the whole team was killing it- hard to be a small forward when the ball is barely getting down there

Murphy loss has been enormous- backline has not looked settled all year and D Moore looks a liability too often without Murph playing backstop

The rotating door of injuries has been a huge factor- we seem to have been forced to make 3-5 changes weekly - hard to build system when it is constantly changing
The bets teams of the recent era have had a core of 18-20players that have played all games- bringing in the odd new face is a lot easier when majority know and trust each other in game

It’s a tight season and other teams have worked out how to slow us down- our overall lack of confidence- which is out mainly down to injuries and resulting lack of team coherence - has meant we are scores more heavily against and also can’t score as heavily

This year is likely not our year- yet stranger things have happened
Will be a struggle to make finals given new checkers and DC injuries

Full list - limited injuries and we go again next year
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

I concur that the loss of Murphy has been massive and I’m definitely not underestimating the hole that his retirement has left within the back 6.

I’m more concerned though with some of the skill and decision making from the players that are on the ground. Last night there was a passage of play that pretty much summed up our 2024 season. Sidey released down the southern wing (3rd qtr) and had 3 teammates available as options ranging from 60-80m from goal. Hit them up and the next kick is to 25m out from goal. Instead, he chose to attempt a needle in the haystack longer kick to Hill who was being blanketed by his opponent 50m from goal. This created a turnover with the transition resulting in a Essendon score. We had them on the back foot and totally stuffed it up.
Now we didn’t lose because of Sidey and he’s always been one of my favourite players but this moment was when I actually thought that we might have an issue with hubris.
There were a few similar passages of play both last night and throughout the season. Instead of using a simple option to gain territory we instead try the low percentage Hail Mary option which more often than not results in a turnover.

Another observation is that teams strangle us by going man-on-man which thwarts our run and carry game. Interestingly, any time we come from behind we seem to go into man-on-man mode instead of the loose zone defence system. We seem to guard space even though SPACE has never kicked a goal in the history of football.
I’ve never heard so many supporters express frustration last night with the amount of unmarked opposition players since the glory day of 2015-16.
- Side By Side -
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

shawthing wrote:Yes the absence of Graham Wright this season has meant the adult has left the room. He is the man who is singularly responsible for turning this club culture around after Eddie tried to turn it into a one man club and various CEOs were too afraid to stand up to Eddie Everywhere. Wrighty (with his experience at Hawthorn) made the club great again. Make Collingwood Great Again - sounds good. Trouble is with all the problems you've mentioned (quite apart from the injuries) the club is now a mess again. Whoever signed off on the deal to get rid of Ginni and trade a first round pick for that Freo spud should be the first sacking Wrighty carries out on his return.

But this season is down the toilet. Thank goodness we won last year, but that's with thanks to Graham Wright.
Love Wrighty but he did a terrible deal with blinking too quickly for what he offered up for Schultz.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

shawthing wrote: Whoever signed off on the deal to get rid of Ginni and trade a first round pick for that Freo spud should be the first sacking Wrighty carries out on his return.
Hmm - so is Wrighty sacking himself?? Which is it?

He was the "adult" who signed Schultz and flicked Ginnivan... You can't put the guy on the pedestal as the one who has turned things around by being "the adult in the room" - implying he is stopping others from making the stupid decisions, and then blame everyone else for what you perceive as stupid decisions...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: If its not hubris then what is it??

Post by K »

slangman wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:21 am I seriously believe that hubris has permeated its way through the club and is a major reason why our season has been lacklustre and deflating.

Examples:

1. Giving away a 1st round pick for a player we didn’t actually require. This has the Dayne Beams “pay overs to top up when in the premiership window” trade written all over it. I like Schultz but we paid way, way, way overs for him.

2. Giving away a 21yo proven goalkicker for a packet chips. Ginnivan is a better player than Schultz and has more upside because of his age. A baffling decision to say the least.
Your examples may be blunders, but most are not due to hubris. #1 sorta is, 'cos obviously Wright assumed that'd be around pick 18...

But the most hubris in the whole club was Ginnivan's hubris. That kid is obviously really up himself. But so far he's being rewarded for it. It's like the gambler who gets early big wins.
Piesnchess

Re: If its not hubris then what is it??

Post by Piesnchess »

%$^ the no salary cap Cats, just get Bailey Smith, to replace Pendles end of next yr, give Smith whatever we can, off the doggies a great deal,just get it done. Smith would be perfect for us ,as hubris totally gone next season. !