Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

old farts eh

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed healey 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:43 pm
Post subject: old farts ehReply with quote

as an unabashed member of the old farts club,i reckon there are quite a few of the baby boomers that read this but dont contribute because of the predominantly youth chattter.
maybe an old farts section would be interesting to see just how many of us so called older brigade are looking in here.
may even get a bit of old fashioned logic from some of us.
gopies

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If people don't post because of age then that is just stupid. BUT I would support such a forum.

JDF
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:20 pm

Let's see how much support there is.

Hey Joel - Can you remember the 60s? (entry requirement)

2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:47 am

OK, I'll fess up. I remember being at Vic Park in the 60's -- as a kid. I was also there in the 70's, 80's and early 90's standing in front of the scoreboard down the Yarra Falls end. I also remember the peanut seller "peanuts, shilling a bag, peanuts" (He died a few years ago now). After all the bad times and the almost good times we endured...shit, October 6, 1990 was a great day. I was there and I'll never forget it.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 6:06 am

Yes, I think the entry requirement should be that you can remember the peanut man.

That gets me off the hook, because I never saw the peanut man. I've certainly heard a lot about him because he is now part of the folklore of football. But I grew up in S.A. We had plenty of characters around the place in those days too. But no peanut man. So, it's nice to know I'm not an old fart.

**floreat pica**

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 8:19 am

I too recall the peanut man. Probably about your vintage 2PIC. They also used to make (as opposed to re heat in a microwave) nice burgers at Vic Park too. Dimm Sims ahhhhhhhhhhh!
It was a great place to watch footy, especially a come from behind pies win in the last qtr. The place went nuts. Knocking off footies when a goal was kicked by handballing it to a mate who stuffed it in a bag and bolted for the loos was a cool trick too! (So I hear...)
On the forum idea, well, i figure it would do the young whippersnappers good to hear the sound opinions of the wise old gits who have the experience of many years of heartache, one great bloody year and a few more years in the wilderness.

magpie24 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 8:47 am

I think i qualify then.

Did he carry his peanuts in a hession bag?

******WE WILL RISE IN OUR WAY*****
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:17 am

That's him Magpie24 - you're in.

They were a shilling a bag long after 14th February 1966.

Who remembers the hotdog man. A 44 gallon drum with a fire under it and a heap of well boiled savs. Bread rolls were a bit posh, so you got your hotdog in a slice of bread and belted with a slug of sauce. Mustard? You're joking mate.

Those guys typify the Vic Park that wasn't up to AFL standards, but bring those memories of all that was great about a day at the footy flooding back. My memories of the footy are frozen at that point because I left Melbourne. I'm sure it would be a great culture shock to experience footy in today's environment.

Will there be fond memories of Colonial in 30 or 40 years? I can't imagine what they would be.

How much we have lost in the move to corporatisation, sanitisation and sterilisation.

Hey Alf, it's not fair to make up a rule to exclude yourself. I'm sure there was an equivalent at Alberton. If you can remember one, you're in. Bugger it, you're in anyway.

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 10:26 am

Do I qualify ?
Back in September 1966 when I was four months from being born and I had my first disappointment. Then there was 1970, 1977 (twice), 1979, 1980 & 1981. But then came 1990 and made it all OK - except I couldn't get a ticket to the GF. We have had a bit of a drought but look out - we're baaack

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:00 pm

We are back!!!

A sum of the individual parts multiplied by heart and guts. Great to see such a close knit team...no psycho-babble tricks, it's a genuine understanding our guys have. I can't fault a single one of the players. And the discussion about McKee...I like him lots...he has passion and agility...he'll knock our socks off with BOGs soon. Now Bucks...I just wonder...it seems we may not need him as the center line general...how about if he decides to become Ablett-esque or Mathews-esque, and kick a bag of goals from the half forward flank each week?
As for my prediction of kicking 30 goals...we are getting closer...the highest score in the AFL this year...yet *still* we have not played as good as our potential indicates...and that potential is growing week by week as yet another individual stands up and makes us salute them for what they can do.

Oh Lordy Lordy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: