Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Judkins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 2:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

To Legga,

I apologise for the context that I put Danny Roach in.
I do agree with you and I guess at the time Danny was seen as versatile player that had the potential to be good in a few years.

My aim was to highlight that he was part of an intricate deal at the time.
I must say so far Danny has been a dissappointment, but it is always easy in hindsight. If we can get many picks correct and not many wrong then we are heading in the right direction.

My objection has been with Rohan attack on Judkins which I think is unfair. He is a quality person and astute judge of young players, and his team of people are fantastic.

I was trying to explain to Rohan that Judkins had no influence on some issues that he brought up.

I guess I still wonder if Rohan has a problem with Judkins or just the fact that the previous football coach and assistants made some mistakes. I guess I will never know unless I meet Rohan and he tells me.

thanks Legga

Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 2:51 am

Read the article by garry lyon yesterday on afl.com (he is a more reliable and respected source than rohan, someone who has been an AFL champ) and he argues that the platform has been built and whatever happens for the rest of this season is a bonus because we will reap the rewards for the next 4-5 years out of it (if not more). He praises both MM and coaching staff, and JUDKINS for the good recruiting of the young kids and the experienced ones from other clubs like molloy, clement, etc. Case closed.

C'mon PIES - Stick together to topple the AFL Empire.

Kate 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 12:02 pm

Sorry- no.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 3:47 pm

The point of my argument is have Judkins and co maximized the draft choices we have had and maximized the return for the players we have given away.

I argued a case for Judkin's. Quality picks have been Lonie, Nick Davis, Fraser, Tarrant, Leon Davis and Didak.

I also stated that Molloy, Steinfort, Holland and Clement had all been good pick up's too. However I am not going to say these are recruiting success's yet because they are only 16 games into their Collingwood careers. You only have to look at how Tyson Lane had a great start in 99, yet has failed to deliver since.

What made me critical of Judkins is that there have been some serious mistakes that have been swept under the carpet.

Sure he recruited those youngsters that I highlighted, but where they so hard to pick up in the first place? They where all taken with our first pick and where very high in the draft (Lonie, Neon the exceptions). Give any AFL recruiter the picks what he has been given and I am sure they could produce the same results.

That took me onto comparing him with other recruiting scouts.
I stated Noel Judkins is a talent scout and the best way to determine how he's going is not list the duds, but compare his picks to the other club.

Examples of this include Roach being taken at 7. At the same time Cupido and Brown were taken. At 19 he took Shaw and around this time Burton, Green and Spriggs were taken. In 98 we took Oborne at 35, yet Dragevic, Jacobs and Fevola were taken. In 97 he drafted Wasley at 24, yet Simon Black, Nick Stevens and Clem Michael were taken

When you compare it you can see that it doesn't look too good. Sure Judkins has recruited well, but has any recruiter had better draft picks than he has had in the last 4 years?

May the St Kevin's Old Boys Prevail.

Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 1:04 pm

PEOPLE DONT SEEM TO REALISE THAT DANNY ROACH HAS BEEN INJURED FOR QUITE A BIT OF THIS SEASON. GIVE HIM A CHANCE!

the great number 17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: