Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What I Saw Friday Night ... and What Must Be Drawn From It .

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2000 11:40 am
Post subject: What I Saw Friday Night ... and What Must Be Drawn From It .Reply with quote

There have been huge philosophical (I guess) debates of how much should be read into Friday - last year's, last century's - performance on this Board. Well, I thought I'd share what happened with me.

I was sitting at the Roadhouse with a few friends and the log-lady, watching the occasion intently when suddenly my surroundings were pitched in darkness and the Giant appeared once again, illuminated in a spotlight where the occasion had been taking place. But now the occasion was lost in the darkness.

The Giant was waving his hands at me in foreboding and saying in ominous tones, <I><B>"It is happening again."</I></B> (A long pause).<I><B> "It is happening again."</I></B>

The spotlight dimmed and the Giant disappeared and the lights around me returned to normal, although the occasion which returned with it was anything but normal. There was a plaintive tone in the air and many were crying ... perhaps in a synchronicity in sense with what was happening.

But, in even more seriousness, while we've all looked at omens and portents - such as 76-77 - I tend to look at 87 and 88, which reflects with more accuracy on our present situation.

Pre-87, we were in the wilderness following some mass-mismanagement, near-bankruptcy and poor administration which almost led to our extinction. However, it did compel Collingwood to breed youth, instead of looking for ready-made players or guys that could be resurrected. The only guy we picked up "used" was Barwick, and he turned out to be a great asset. (And if he kicked straight in the 90 Flag, he would have ended up with 7 goals).

Situation's similar - and it's nothing like 76-77. In 76, we had a Champion-team mis-coached which hit rock-bottom. In 77, a proper Coach whipped them back into shape and up we went on the Ladder. That's not the case between 99-00.

99 is a lot like 87. After screwing-up through drafting and such and following a poor Coaching appointment (Rose, not necessarily Cahill - although Jack was inexperienced), we were forced to blood youngers. In 87, it was youngsters in Brown, Monkhorst, McGuane, etc. In 99, it was pretty much everybody on that damn list.

We can't expect ready-made miracles within a three month turnaround of Y2Malty, and as I've stated when some guy like Fevola - and Fevola's not the case here, the case is just a freakish performance from a forward - kicks 12, then it's hard to keep up with the opposition. The Roos would have fared no better.

In the actual Home and Away Season, I'd expect Pebbles to jog back to CHB, put his hands on his hips and puff away, then take the first opportunity he'd get to run through him. Similarly, I'd expect Crosisca or Michael on him once he looked dangerous, but Y2Malty seemed contented with experimentation of positioning, and there's no experimentation in putting Pebbles back to CHB because we know he can play there, instead of the result of the game.

So have faith.

The Giant told me so.

------------------
Sly LeKoupa.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Collingwood Rant.

The Unofficial AFL Ranting Board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: