Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tugga's farewell Test - Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:23 pm
Post subject: Tugga's farewell Test - SydneyReply with quote

Jason Gillespie returns from injury in an expanded 13-strong Australian squad named today for the fourth cricket Test against India at the Sydney Cricket Ground starting on Friday:

Australian squad: Steve Waugh (capt), Justin Langer, Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Simon Katich, Adam Gilchrist, Andy Bichel, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Stuart MacGill, Brad Williams, Nathan Bracken.

Which two will miss out ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if this was not the decisive test of the series, I would select the future of Australian bowling and choose Bracken, but based on past performance one would pick Williams. The other factor is Bracken is playing on his home ground of the SCG. Maybe a comparison of Williams versus Brackens figures on the SCG is required?
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:22 pm

Neither of the 2 have embarassed themselves in their appearances so far but neither have they convinced that they are of the highest quality.

Bracken has the advantage of the left arm angle and he has improved his action. However he is no quicker then fast medium and when the ball does not move he will struggle for penetration. Williams is the more hostile of the 2.

Fielding wise neither scintillate but Williams has worked hard in this regard and did well in Melbourne. Batting, Williams is no great shakes but Bracken is sad. The only difference with McGill is that they start up the heavy roller when Bracken walks out and they unlock the gate to drive on when McGill walks out.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:46 pm

Another thing Bracken has in common with McGrath....
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:58 pm

SCG Test fourth day to sell out

Fox Sports

WITH Steve Waugh's final Test appearance becoming a rare SCG series decider, crowds are set to fill the famous venue for the first four days of fourth Test against India starting Friday.

Australia's nine-wicket win in the third Test in Melbourne today squared the series at 1-1 and ended the run of recent "dead rubbers" at the SCG.

For the first time since Sydney regularly hosted the final Test of the summer in 1998-99, Australia will fight out a series decider there.

In that period, only in 1998-99 when England entered the last Test 1-2 down, was there even the slightest chance Australia would not win a series of at least three Tests ending at the SCG.

The first three days of this week's SCG Test were already sold out, but today's result in Melbourne sparked a new surge of sales for the fourth day next Monday.

"We sold around 500 tickets this morning for day four," Cricket NSW marketing manager David Eland said today.

While around 8500 of the 29,000 day four tickets remained unsold, Eland thought they would all be snapped up on that morning by the walk-up crowd.

He said Cricket NSW and Cricket Australia officials would meet on the third day of the game to decide when tickets for the fifth day would go on sale.

Tickets for the final day of domestic Tests are not normally pre-sold because of the logistical problems caused by matches finishing before that point.

Eland thought that the total attendance for the coming Test could go close to the 180,000 figure for last season's Ashes SCG encounter if this week's game went into the final day and Waugh was scheduled to play his last Test innings then.

"Days one to three have sold out even quicker for this year's Test than the Ashes Test," Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust marketing and media manager Karen Grega said.

The SCG Test promises to be another charged with emotion for Waugh, who scored what was generally considered a career-salvaging century there against England last summer.

The good news for Waugh is that the pitch being used for this week's Test is in the same part of the square as the one on which he scored his memorable century against England.

SCG curator Tom Parker today predicted the wicket for Waugh's Test swan song would be "a good cricket pitch with no gremlins."

"I think either team will find it very conducive to getting runs and there will be a bit in it for the quicks. There's going to be something in it for everyone and it should start to turn from late on day three," Parker.

With little recent rain in Sydney, Parker said the pitch was being lightly sprayed with a hand-hose.

"We're just concentrating on keeping some moisture in the pitch, so it doesn't crack too much," Parker said.

Renowned for carrying a lucky red handkerchief, Waugh will see plenty of similar items at the SCG this week as 100,000 red flannels would be handed out to patrons attending the first three days.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:09 pm

An interesting selection problem for the selectors.

MacGill isnt a world class spin bowler imo but has to be picked as he is the best spinner available at present and the SCG is his home track.

Williams has earned the right to play this test and adds something in the field for the aussies.

That leaves three bowlers for two spots. Lee, Gillespie and Bracken. Two from NSW so they would be on their home patch and one from Sth Australia who is a quality bowler and held the Aussies attack together last summer but is injury prone but can bat.

I would choose Gillespie and Lee as they are proven bowlers and add more depth batting wise and Gillespie in particular can be a match winner. Gillespie normally doesnt go for many runs and is well disciplined leaving MacGil, Lee and Williams to attack from the other end.

Lee is very lucky to be picked but if he fixes up his length he can be dangerous and hopefully can produce the odd faster ball.

That would leave Bracken as the 12th man.

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:13 am

Waugh gave his best

Fox Sports

STEVE Waugh will leave a legacy as one of the nation's greatest cricketers, a captain who changed the way Test cricket is played.

But the man himself revealed yesterday he wants to be remembered in simple terms - "as a guy who gave it his best and was always honoured to wear the baggy green".

Waugh has spoken of the emotions he will carry into his final Test, the series decider against India at the SCG.

The Australians flew in from Melbourne yesterday with Waugh swamped by media and fans at the airport.

The team will spend the first day of the New Year in the practice nets at the SCG today knowing the dangers of letting the Waugh farewell distract their attention from saving the series.

Matthew Hayden revealed the team had spoken as a group about how to handle Waugh fever which could not have found a bigger stage with the series up for grabs and the captain playing in front of his home town for the last time.

Hayden said Waugh's last dance was "the least of our concerns" and pointed to comments made by Indian captain Sourav Ganguly.

"(Ganguly) basically said that he expected us to be a professional unit, to come out, to play with emotion and passion," Hayden said.

"We've rekindled Australian spirit in the third Test. Now, heading into the last Test match, it is all to play for.

"There are a lot of other issues other than it being Stephen's last game."

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:28 pm

The selectors HAVE to select Bichel! He's an absolute legond and such a hard worker. He deserves selection after being twelth man 19 times.
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:38 pm

He's a hardworking bowler with better than average skills but nothing more. He also stands in the way of younger guys like Bracken getting some experience.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:03 pm

I'm not sad: Waugh

Fox Sports

STEVE Waugh said today he felt no sadness ahead of his farewell to Test cricket - against India at the Sydney Cricket Ground starting tomorrow.

Waugh, who received applause from spectators before and after his final practice session this morning, said he had been fortunate to play 168 Tests during an international career which began way back on Boxing Day in 1985.

"There's no real sadness there," said Waugh.

"I don't feel it's a sad occasion. I just feel I'm lucky I've played a lot for Australia. I look at guys like Jamie Siddons and Darren Berry and those sort of blokes who never get to play a Test match, and I've played 168.

"I can't be sad about that fact. I've been lucky to play a lot of matches. I've had great experiences around the world, played against great players, met a lot of fantastic people, seen different cultures ... there's nothing to be sad about."

Australia is expected to finalise its side later today, with fast bowler Jason Gillespie likely to return at the expense of Nathan Bracken or Brad Williams.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:36 pm

Bichel "Selleys" as he is known will be back to where he is best suited and thats the Sheffield Shield.

The big question is whether the selectors will drop a NSW player.....lol or will the boring line of "horses for courses" come out which only applies to test matches played at the GABBA and SCG.....LOL LOL

Surely another batsman will step up as Ponting and Hayden cannot be expected to score centuries every game.

A century from Damian Martyn at the number four position would not hurt as he needs to pull his weight.

jlc

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:09 pm

Williams will probably miss out, he only got a gig ahead of Bichel in Melb test cos he's got a little more pace, something Gillespie don't lack. Bracken in for vaiation and keepng it tight.

Martyn due a score for sure JLC. If Waugh doesnt make 200, he should be dropped IMHO.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:20 am

Good call, Dave. That's the way they've gone.
--------------------------------------------

Proud parents recall origins of greatness

By Peter Kogoy - Fox Sports

FOR Beverley and Rodger Waugh, son Stephen's farewell Test marks the end of what they describe as an "incredible journey".

While Rodger will be at the game watching from a private box as a guest of Stephen, Beverley wasn't so sure she could get to the game. "I'm not much of a spectator any more," Beverley said.

"I can tell you that I've seen enough cricket to last me 200 years. It has been an incredible journey.

"The game has been such a big part of my life that when I get asked to talk about the twins I do find it hard to separate Steve from Mark about their respective first-class careers.

"Mark had a fine Test career too, and now that it's come around I find it incredible that the curtain is about come down on Steve's Test career."

Rodger's fondest recollection of the Waugh twins' youth was ferrying them to matches around the Bankstown area of Sydney in the back of a battered Holden utility with the rest of the Panania-Easts Hills RSL under-10s.

In some respects, the Steve Waugh of today is little changed from then.

"Ask anyone that remembers Stephen from his youth and they'll tell you the same: his general demeanour hasn't changed," Rodger said.

"He has always treated his players with the utmost respect, while his support of the team captaincy and the traditions that go with the role remain uppermost in his mind.

"Stephen has always had the tenacity to bat for long periods out in the middle, but he's also had to endure some lean times in his Test career."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:22 am

This thread is for Steve Waugh tributes.

For scores and comments on play, see "Australia v. India - 4th. Test, Sydney'

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:42 pm

Perfect start for Waugh

Fox Sports

STEVE Waugh's final Test began almost perfectly, including losing the final coin toss at the Sydney Cricket Ground today.

Indian captain Sourav Ganguly won the toss for the third time in the series and elected to bat first. Waugh, in his 168th Test and 57th as captain, admitted he was "happy" to lose the toss as he was unsure what to do and confessed a preference for bowling first.

So far so good.

Then his favourite singer John Williamson sang the national anthem as Waugh stood with his baggy green cap across his heart before warmly applauding the country icon.

A measure of Waugh's standing in the cricket world came as the players left the field after the national anthem.

Indian spinner Anil Kumble walked up to Waugh with his digital camera, snapped a picture of the great man and shook his hand.

After the final team gathering in the dressing room, Waugh's team-mates formed a guard of honour for their retiring skipper as he stepped onto his favourite ground to start his final Test in an 18-year international career.

Waugh shook the hand of each player and sprinted to the middle.

Around him the crowd, which had been gathering since the early hours of the morning waiting for the 8am gate opening, was still filing in.

The press box was crammed with journalists from around the world, including Wisden editor-in-chief Matthew Engel, who had come to witness the last five days of an epic career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: