Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

McEnroe admits to steroids

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:37 pm
Post subject: McEnroe admits to steroidsReply with quote

McEnroe admits to steroids Fox Sports

JOHN McEnroe yesterday made the startling admission he had unwittingly taken steroids for much of his glorious career.

"For six years I was unaware I was being given a form of steroid of the legal kind they used to give horses until they decided it was too strong even for horses," the American left-hander revealed.

The New Yorker did not specify why - or for what condition - he took the steroids, nor who administered them.

McEnroe, 43, made the claim as he challenged the ATP to appoint an independent commissioner in a bid to improve the tarnished image of men's tennis.

The former world No.1 has long advocated the need for an all-powerful administrator to run the sport, now in crisis following Greg Rusedski's positive test to nandrolone.

"Surely it's now time for tennis to have its own commissioner," McEnroe, winner of seven majors, said.

"We have enough problems in the sport. It's the last thing we needed." McEnroe has also urged the ATP - which runs men's tennis - to "come down harshly on him (Rusedski) or anyone else" who tests positive for drugs.

McEnroe, possibly referring to Rusedski's struggle with chronic injury, spoke of "the desperate measures people will go to in order to keep up".

The American firebrand said he was surprised Rusedski had tested positive.

"Watching him play, I've never noticed anything about him that struck me as different," he said. "But I don't know him that well.

"It would be surprising if it were true." Lightly-built McEnroe said he suspected several players had used drugs during his playing days on the regular tour.

"If you don't have proof you have to back off," McEnroe said. "I don't think it was widespread, but I'm sure it did go on.

"People have to become aware of what they are putting into their bodies. In general, people are administered drugs too readily."

The ATP provides players with a printable anti-doping wallet card, which contains a wealth of information, on its website.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: