Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Waugh nominates Hussey as bolter

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickiSlater 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 pm
Post subject: Waugh nominates Hussey as bolterReply with quote

Go David Hussey !! Smile Smile Smile

Waugh nominates Hussey as bolter - Fox Sports

STEVE Waugh nominated David Hussey as a bolter for Test and Australian one-day selection after the previously unheralded Victorian's masterful double century gave the Pura Cup leaders an extraordinary outright victory over NSW at Newcastle No.1 Sports Ground today.

The Vics, resuming on 0-3 in pursuit of a mountainous 455, roared to a seven-wicket triumph with 14 overs to spare thanks to Hussey's 212 not out from 218 balls.

His five-hour exhibition of controlled aggression secured the second biggest run chase in the 111-year-old history of the Sheffield Shield and Pura Cups, beaten only by South Australia's 6-506 against Queensland at Adelaide Oval in 1991-92.

"Exceptional," Waugh said of Hussey's knock, which included 26 sweetly-struck fours and five sixes and left him with 757 runs in the Pura Cup this season at an average of 108.

"He played and missed a couple with the new ball but you're entitled to do that. He's got to come into contention for national selection, I would have thought, in both forms of the game, the way he played there.

"You don't want to pump someone up too much but that was tremendous batting. He's obviously been doing it all year. It's pretty amazing he slipped through the net in Western Australia.

"It's an unbelievably good batting wicket so I knew they were in with a chance but it took someone to play a special innings.

"I didn't expect them to get the runs with 14 overs to spare."

Incredibly, Hussey only joined Victoria last season because WA – where his brother Michael is entrenched – didn't want him.

NSW threatened to steamroll the Vics in the first session when Jason Arnberger (four), Matthew Elliott (19) and Brad Hodge (33) came and went in a hurry.

From 3-72, Hussey conjured up a telling 176-run stand with Jon Moss (76) and an equally important 135 runs with skipper Cameron White (60) before guiding his team home with a flurry of fours and sixes off leg spinner Stuart MacGill, who toiled manfully for 36 overs but conceded 2-160.

"I believed from the very first ball of the day," said 26-year-old Hussey.

"Good wicket, fast outfield, we've got pretty good players so anything is possible with this team."

Allrounder Dominic Thornely took two wickets in an over to reignite hope for the Blues in the final session, enticing edges behind from White and Andrew McDonald (nought), but Hussey and tailender Shane Harwood (14no) knocked over the final 52 runs in a nail-biting finish when just one more wicket would have exposed the most unreliable members of the Victorian tail.

"I was a bit nervous but I had complete faith in Shane's batting," said Hussey.

"Well not really complete faith, but faith."

White said the Vics had promised themselves to pursue victory at all costs.

"We were going to back ourselves no matter what happened," said the 20-year-old skipper.

"It didn't matter how many wickets we were going to lose, we were going to try to win the match. We just kept backing ourselves the whole way and even after the first three wickets fell we still wanted to do that."

On Hussey's effort, White added: "That was one of the best knocks we've ever seen."

Waugh said the Blues remained capable of defending the Cup despite languishing in second last place on the ladder on 11 points, five points out of second place but well behind pace-setting Victoria on 25.

"First spot, Victoria has basically got that sewn up but second spot is still wide open," said Waugh.

"We've got four games left and if we win three of those we can make it."

Claiming the frenetic final day proved the culture of batting in Australian had changed at all levels, with runs now coming at a fast and furious rate, Waugh admitted his own aggressive policy while Test skipper had probably played a part.

"They back themselves and go for the runs now," said Waugh

"If I'm partly to blame, that's good. That's the way you should play cricket. I'm disappointed we lost, but you don't mind seeing an innings like that from the young guy.

"It's good for the game."
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that Damien Martyn would be on thin ice right now, he'll have to improve alot, or he might lose his spot. Maybe he will get his go next season with Australia A if he keeps improving with the bat he will surly be in line for a spot.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:38 pm

Agree Proto re Martyn. I have always rated him but he hasn't assured himself at 4 in either form and needs to perform.

Hussey HAS made a case for himself and his way into the Test side may be aided thru limited over, as per Clarke.

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:39 pm

Small note of interest to Fradam, JLC and others of same mind.

Selector Allan Border WAS watching the match at Newcastle. OK, there is a distinct possibility that AB may not have been taking much notice post boozy lunch but that can tend to be par for the course for AB. A selector was at least present.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:25 pm

AB was there only to watch Steve Waugh Wink and was probably visiting family as he was born in NSW.....lol

Plus out of the selectors we know which one wears the pants....its Trevor as he is the public figure and the more outspoken of all the selectors.

jlc

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:51 pm

He might have headed up post Sydney Test but Sydney-Newcastle isn't exactly a spin round the block, more like a 2+ hr drive. BTW most of his folks are no longer in Sydney.

So who is are yr nomination(s) to end the greivous crimes against hardly done-by Victorians??? Don't tell me yr going to nominate Mr Popularity himself, Dean Jones. Keith Stackpole another??? Bill??? SOD??? My God we may have another Lampoon movie in the making.

I do realise I'm being a shit here, but feel it appropriate to the nature of yr (and some others) argument/whinge.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:31 pm

Well Dean Jones was extremely hard done by dont you think. What did he average on the tour before he got dropped ??

Darren Lehmann i dont think played one game for Australia while playing for the Vics ?? He had to leave and go to a batter friendly Adelaide oval to get a go.

Jamie Siddons the poor bastard probably regrets that he wasnt born in NSW. Clearly the unluckiest batsman never to play for Australia in a test. Played and captained both Sth Australia and Victoria.

jlc

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:05 pm

Interesting little assortment there, JLC.

Deano, for all his periodic heroics, had been around intl cricket for @ 10 years and was no longer an auto-pick. Arguably pushed a bit early maybe not.

Siddons, here IS an unlucky bastard, no arguments.

Lehmann. If I am not mistaken. Did he not start his career in Sth Aus, make a move to Vic to further his career. During that time he did progress as far as a 12th man for 1 test. I could be wrong but not sure that the Lehmann example advances yr argument.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:57 am

How long has Martyn been around for ??

It just seems that some players are carried through bad patches when players of a similar quality are dropped.

Mark Waugh four ducks in a row against Sri Lanka. Mark Taylor was carried forever through his form slump until he finally regained some semblence of form.

jlc

Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:55 am

Dean Jones is one of the best and most talented batsman I have ever seen, There is no doubt in my mind that he should have played 100 tests for Australia.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:16 am

Even Peter Hoare made an appearance at the Pura Cup game according to David Hookes on 3AW.

Therefore

Peter Hoare: 1

Trevor Hohns: 0

Lets see who attends more Vic games by the end of the summer....lol

jlc

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:26 am

Mark Taylor added more to the team than just runs. He should have been carried through his horror time, as should Steve Waugh. Both had times when their careers were in question but both added more to the team than just the runs they scored

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:03 pm

JLC wrote:
Peter Hoare: 1 / Trevor Hohns: 0

I honestly don't know which one of these two morons i'd enjoy smashing a bottle over their head more. Gee, could i try one on each?

Dyso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: