Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australia V India - SGC - The battle Continues....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it for Hooksey: Lee

Fox

BRETT LEE says he did it for David Hookes when he smashed the match-winning runs in last night's one-day international with India at the SCG.

Lee dedicated the win to the former Test cricketer and Victorian coach, who died on Monday from injuries received during an assault outside a Melbourne hotel.

"The guys really wanted to do it for Hookes," Lee told Sydney radio 2UE.

"It's been a tragic week not only for his family but the whole cricketing world.

"It's been a terrible thing what has happened and the guys really felt yesterday, there was a fair bit of emotion out there, and we really wanted to walk away with a win.

"I think deep down somebody was watching and helping us last night when we were out there for those last couple of balls."

Lee, whose place in the team was in doubt after he was smashed for 83 runs by India in Brisbane earlier in the week, avenged himself by scoring a vital 12 runs off nine balls, including a massive six which left Australia needing one run from the last two balls.

Lee said he steeled himself for the task after fellow batsman Andy Bichel told him to back himself.

"The ball came and I shut my eyes and swung as hard as I could and the ball sailed over the fence – happy days," he said.

Lee said it had been a tough month but he had tried to beat the pressure by staying cheerful.

"There's times when you might have some bad luck and you just can't change what's happened. If I'm out there and I'm smiling and I'm having a really good time, that's when I always play my best cricket," he said.

"I knew I was under a fair bit of pressure last night but I thought the best way to go about this was to go out and really enjoy myself."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:32 pm

Donny,
So did the rain that got onto the wicket during Australia's innings (because the groundsmen got delayed?) impact upon it's performance, or was it a typical strain-of-the-huge-total-to-chase type collapse by out of form players? Still seems very much like a "claytons" victory to me.

dyso

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:58 pm

Claytons or not, it was still an excellent finish.

Until we have covered stadiums, we will have rain affected games from time to time and the rain gods don't favour particular teams.

A few balls played up a bit but I don't think it cost Aussie wickets and for mine, I love it when the bowlers get a chance for a bit of batting glory 'cause they don't get a lot in ODIs as bowlers.

Especially Bing, of late. Very Happy

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:18 pm

The main thing was it was an exciting game of cricket. Its just a pity that the third team is not really competitve and we all know who is going to be in the finals.

I am still trying to understand why VVS Laxman was not chosen in the World Cup SQUAD let alone the Indian team for the last world cup. Given his success against the Aussies in both forms of the games he would have been handy at the very least Wink

jlc

Collies4Eva 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:41 pm

The crazy thing is that laxman isnt even rated in india by indian journos in odi's apparently...apparently the guy only fires against australia where hes picked up 1000+ runs in both tests and odi's and other ppl have been preferred to him becoz he apparently scores runs too slowly in odi's.

i knew india had a good batting lineup but didnt realise they had this much depth!! I think the last time that oz bowled them out cheaply was in Melbourne. If they had some good bowlers theyd be really good!!!!!!!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:46 pm

They do have good bowlers in the form of Kahn and Singh who are both injured at the moment.

However the injuries have help unearth some very good talent. Im sure i heard the other day that Pathan (the left arm quick) was playing Under 19 cricket not so long ago, yet has stepped up into the big league pretty well.

jlc

Collies4Eva 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:59 pm

Khan's ok, but hardly world class. Singh has been in poor form for almost 2 yrs now becoz of injury. aside from kumble and pathan they dont really have quality bowlers imo

Yeah I was very impressed with PAthan esp. when he faced off Hayden in Brisbane when OZ were chasing that 300+ total. These indians dont get intimidated, they actually show some decent fighting spirit and havent turned into violet crumbles, i think ganguly (cool name) has a lot to do with that, the dude reminds me of steve waugh he's so intense..!!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:25 pm

They may not have the best bowling attack but its doing the job this series most fo the time.

The bowling was meant to be the area where Australia had the major strength along with fielding. However they havnt dominated either category.

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:30 am

India fined for slow over rate

Fox

INTERNATIONAL CRICKET COUNCIL (ICC) Match Referee Clive Lloyd tonight announced that he had fined the Indian team for a slow over-rate during the tri series match against Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Captain Sourav Ganguly was also charged with a level two breach of the ICC's Code of Conduct in that the slow over rate constituted time wasting.

His fines totalled 80 per cent of his match fee.

Lloyd informed the Indian players and team management that they had finished last night's game three overs short of the required rate.

Under the sanctions outlined in the ICC's Code of Conduct, each player receives a fine of five per cent of his match fee for each of the first five overs that the side is behind, while the captain receives a 10 per cent fine for each over that his team is down.

As such, each Indian player was fined 15 per cent of his match fee, with captain Sourav Ganguly receiving a 30 per cent fine.

The time wasting charge meant an additional fine of 50 per cent of his match fee meaning a total of 80 per cent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: