Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A night at the footy - Part Three

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:04 am
Post subject: A night at the footy - Part ThreeReply with quote

A night at the footy - Part One (the Cricketers)
A night at the footy - Part Two (the President's Dinner and the rooms)

Eddie left Nick and I at the back of the stand behind the goals.

"You may have to talk your way in," he said "if you can't get in just come back upstairs."

The guy guarding the entrance to the stand must have seen us together, because he just said "You're right" and let us through. It may have been the 'meet the President' gear that we were wearing (I didn't notice many Italian jackets and ties when we got down to the Cheer Squad), but I like the feeling of being one of Eddie's cronies, so I'll choose to believe that that was the reason for the trouble free admission.

I'm glad we met some of you at the pub because it was a nice feeling to recognise faces as we walked down into your midst. It helped create a sense of belonging and we didn't have to go through the procedure of explaining who we were. We met a few more familiar names with unfamiliar faces. Alf was a surprise, very quiet and polite, almost unassuming, he was one of the few that clashed with the mental picture I had. I found a seat beside Alf and Nick sat in the row in front of me and we tried (at least I did) to tune in to what was happening around us. The evening so far had been one of radical shifts: the pub to the President's Dinner, to the ground, to the rooms and now to the Cheer Squad - and each change involved a totally new and different environment, requiring a totally new and different mindset. No wonder it's all a bit foggy in my head now.

We sang the song at the toss of the coin. Does that happen every game now? How long before the crowd catches on and joins in and we have the stand rocking for the start of the game?

Siren - wow - mass personality change. The quiet and reserved dude beside me has turned into a raving madman. What did I miss?

OK!!

I can get into this - all I have to do is drop 25 years of conditioning - it's easy.

The ground's disappeared all I can see is flags, arms and heads - so I stand up and the 25 years have gone and I'm a part of it again.

Just as I'm getting into the chant it stops and everything's quiet - everything but me that is, I'm still going, I'm doing it on my own, there must have been some signal I missed. Slightly self-conscious I stop and sit down, just in time for the rest of them to jump up and start again. I'm out of synch here.

It's quiet again and I can feel someone watching me so I look around and there beside me, on the other side to Alf Jeckyl, is a small boy with a very amused look on his face. He's obviously an old hand at this and he says in a condescending tone "You'll get the hang of it." and I'm sure he's stifling the urge to break into hysterical laughter. He kept an amused eye on me for the rest of the quarter and kept the words of encouragement flowing. He was old beyond his years that kid.

Well he was right, I did get the hang of it, although judging by his continuing amusement, I might have been the only person to think so.

That first quarter finished and at quarter time Black_White turned up and parked himself between me and and my amused neighbour and that was the end of the night's entertainment for him. Black_White is a big bloke. I'm 185cm, but I get lost if I stand in a group of footballers - Black_White wouldn't, I reckon I came up to his chin.

The second quarter was much easier. BW had blocked the view of the expert, and besides, it was his first venture into the Cheer Squad too and my full quarter's experience had made me an old hand. Instantly I became the pro and he was the new boy - my turn to be amused.

Half time and I was buggered, my match fitness is not what it used to be. So I thought we should do a bit of investigative research put in an appearance back up with the corporates. I had experienced the Cheer Squad and having read on this board about the lackluster efforts of the members and corporates, I thought we should experience that first hand also.

Totally different environment. A mixture of Pies and Bombers and just about every other team as well. At our table for instance there was a couple who were there because his company sponsored the Club. He was Carlton, she was Essendon - WHAT???? At the President's dinner? At least they had the decency to be embarrassed when they told me.

It may have been the contrast to the Cheer Squad, but this seemed a deathly quiet way of watching the footy. It was so quiet that I could still hear the Cheer Squad and found myself chanting with them, much to Nick's amusement. It's hard to drop the conditioning of a whole half a game of football.

We saw the game out and had to leave because our transport was leaving - the end of a unbelievable experience.

I'm going to risk it again - I'm going to name the people we met in the Cheer Squad who we hadn't already met in the pub. I really want a record of this, so if I leave you out, please say so. Right - Alf, Black_White, kristin5, stik35, Elvira, Emma, *miss_magpie* and there was Magpie Gal 19 and SS11? (who we didn't actually meet, but I recognised from Clemo's photos) and a stack of people who introduced themselves and said that they didn't post, but often read the BB. It was a great thrill to meet all of you.

I haven't mentioned the game and I won't because it's all a bit foggy in my memory and there have already been plenty of reviews and discussion already. Needless to say a win would have put the seal on a perfect day.

The highlight of the trip was meeting the family (you lot). What Eddie had done for us was truly remarkable. If you look at the whole night - the pub, the dinner the walk down onto the ground, in the rooms with the team, the Cheer Squad expecting us - we had had a combined experience that couldn't be bought, but we were only ambassadors for the rest of the people on this board. If it wasn't for you this site wouldn't be what it is, and we wouldn't have got to do what we did, so we did it on your behalf (can we do it again please?).

Thank you.

A night at the footy - Part Four (The Cheer Squad - an addendum)

september_joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Nick

In a season of much excitement and highlites the night of having a drink with yourself and nick and seeing yourselves having so much fun when you were with the cheer squad will go close to being the highlite of the season.

And people if you havn't seen mike just picture the 'ciggarette man' or the 'cancer man' from the television show the 'x files'
shit mike even smokes like him.

Mike and nick i speak on behalf of all of us that use your bulletin board no matter where we are on the net when we click on 'nicks bulletin board'its like comming home and being with good friends i know at times we all have our little bitch fights and things get a little emotional and heated but would we want it any other way....i dont think so

When i was a little fella i used to watch dad get tanked every thursday night(pay day)while watching telly when growing up in a strong ferral collingwood family all your parants friends and mates were collingwood it was a way of life and if dear old mum got tanked (well god help you if you were a carlton supporter) well what im trying to say is when dad got pissed he had speeches and you would hear the same speeches every thursday night or on a saturday comming back from the footy.

One regular speech was 'joffa son' beside your own family there is no greater family than the collingwood family, if you have plenty of collingwood mates you will have good mates.My dad made a lot of sense when he got pissed.

It was good to meet you both mike and nick you are inded good collingwood mates and it was good to meet another part of the family on saturday night.

Thank you
joffa

A WHITE SPORT COAT AND A BLACK CARNATION...the joffa's all dressed up for the finals...CARRRRRRM ONNNNNNN GO MAGPIES!!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 6:25 am

I agree Joffa what is said on the board stays on the board...lol lol U hear what im saying Brotha!!!!!

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 8:10 am

great stuff joffa & mike! great to read.

Dantheman 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 10:47 am

Wow, you won't be forgetting that night for a while.

magpie24 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:06 am

Top read Mike.
Sound's like a fairytale come true.
If i knew you were going to the cricketer's before the game i would have gone there instead of the G hotel,oh well next time.

******WE WILL RISE IN OUR WAY*****
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:32 am

196 cms Mike! (just to clear it up)

-Craig

FAITH

Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 4:05 pm

Gday Mike. I have enjoyed reading about ur nite at the footy. I am so happy that u enjoyed urself especially in the cheer Squad. I am sooooooooo Sorry that I didnt come up and introduced myself but I didnt Relise u were there until I spoke to Cobood. Anyway I was going to tell u Where I was sitting in the Cheer Squad coz u mightve seen me but didnt know who I was. But if u ddint see me I was gonna write that u Mustve heard me sometime during the match Yelling or MEGA MEGA MEGA screaming GO NICKY all nite. he he he

Once agin I am sooo Sorry for not coming up to u and next time u in town I will make sure that I'll chat to ya.

NICKY DAVIS KICKS ARSE!!!!!
Leonin5=star 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:07 am

great story mike...and im sure there are a lot of people who read the message board but dont post...

pure magic...
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:26 am

Mike and Nick it was a pleasure to meet you too - great to finally put faces to the names!

Mike, with regards to your question (re: can we do it again please?), hopefully you can do it again soon for the finals - I still haven't lost hope!!!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:09 am

Next time you are down let me know as i would be interested to meet you. I cam down to Cricketers but got there at about 6.00pm so i would have just missed you. Plus next time you must stay and listen to Joffas speech

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:15 am

It was certainly something that neither of us will ever forget - a once in a lifetime.

Magpie24 and JLC - perhaps we'll get another chance some day. You're right JLC, I have to hear one of Joffa's speeches, but we didn't have the time to wait for him to get suitably 'motivated'.

Magpie Gal 19 - I saw you there, but didn't get down to meet you either, so it's not all your fault that we didn't meet.

Kristin - Thanks, and we will make it back one day, but it's an expensive exercise so it won't happen very often.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:53 am

ditto, Joffa, ditto

Greg J
SIB4897 Pisces

Moe HS & Karingal HS (Frankston) Old Boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:50 pm

Great stuff Mike, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about 'Mike & Nick's Excellent Adventure'. What Eddie did for you both was magnificent and I suspect a 'one-off' and unique experience, and through the Bulletin Board we have all had the privilege to share with you. A repeat performance may spoil the pleasant memories you obviously have, re-visiting the Cheer Squad in the future should be your top priority, it's certainly mine!

Stephen Ives, Manchester, England (ex Frankston & Moe, Vic.) Pie 'til I die
2001 Magpies Nest Member Collingwood Football Club
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:45 pm

It was great to meet you both. It sounds like you had a ball.
Hope you can do it again sometime and see us win!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: