Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Cakewalk"? Should the club song words be changed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want the Collingwood club song's words changed, in particular the word "cakewalk"?
1) No. I do not want any changes to the words.
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
2) Maybe. I am unsure and might be persuaded either way.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
3) Yes. I want change(s) to the word(s), AND I cannot be bothered reading through the options below to specify exactly what change(s).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4) Yes. Specifically, I want only a one-word change (replace "cakewalk").
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
5) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "There is just one team we favour" (the Club's failed 1983 version).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the Magpie Army's faithful" (To...).
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
7) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For the courage is unfailing" (At...).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8) Yes. Specifically, I want the one-line change "For I hear the magpie calling".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
9) Yes. I want change(s) to the words, AND my specific preference is none of the above.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 8 yr olds should be allowed to contribute to Nicks. Rolling Eyes
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Oh ffs, our song is OUR song, our jumper is OUR jumper. Anyone who doesn't embrace ALL of that should follow another team instead. ...

I can only guess what your reaction was when it was announced that we were vacating OUR ground, Vic Park, to become a co-tenant at other teams' grounds.

I guess we should be glad at least our new and old grounds aren't (yet) renamed after a car manufacturer, airline, bank, or worse.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I don't think 8 yr olds should be allowed to contribute to Nicks. Rolling Eyes

I assume this remark is directed towards me and/or K. Do let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm not interested in trading personal insults. I just want to uphold my right to have an opinion that's different from yours, preferably without being ridiculed for it Wink
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Unmitigated fact - our beloved team has a poor GF record, when compared to other premiership leaders in the competition (see previous posts in this thread).

Some supporters may not be too concerned about this, or are able to shake it off easily. However, it's all becoming increasingly hard for me to cope with, especially those losses where we were right in it and had every chance. I was there when we gave away a match-winning lead to Carlton in 1970. I was there when we drew with North in 1977. I drank myself into a stupor when we lost to Brisbane in 2002. The latest narrow defeat has been the most painful and heart-breaking to endure yet.

I don't what to suffer like that again!!! So when a thread was started about the GF curse, I was an extremely invested participant in the discussion. There has to be reasons why this continues to happen.

The discussion yielded two most likely reasons for me:
* that due to sheer guts, bravery and determination, our team gets to Grand Finals when other comparable teams wouldn't
* that the notion that the premiership's a cakewalk is having negative effects - either it is making everyone associated with the club assume it's our god-given right to win them OR it is putting too much pressure on the players that participate. Hence, my contributions to this particular thread.

To date, no-one has offered any logical, well-reasoned, substantiated arguments to change my mind on either of the above two beliefs. Instead, especially in regards to this thread, many have appeared to feel threatened in some way, because they have often resorted to personal abuse and derogatory comments. That's not going to change my mind either.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

^Or it could just be that some people think you have 'jumped the shark' (stui please explain this pop culture reference) with your 2nd option

Not to mention that you're still repeating it 25 pages later

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 pm

&

Yeah, Nah, I reckon our resident horse tranquilliser/flogger is capable of using Google.

Eyyyyyyyyyyyy. Wink

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Buckley keen to normalize Grand Final loss

“Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has revealed his club's two-step approach to helping his players manage the greatest disappointment in the game: losing an AFL grand final

And at the start of pre-season, Buckley tried to downplay the significance of the occasion with a regular match review process that replicated their 2018 campaign.

Collingwood were gallant in their five-point loss to West Coast last September, leading with less than two minutes remaining before Dom Sheed's sharpshooter effort gave the Eagles victory.

The last-gasp nature only accentuated the hurt, and Buckley admitted as much when speaking on Friday at a function for A-League club Melbourne Victory.

"On the night I was no good," Buckley said. “But most of all I blame our club song”.

"The healing started for me the next day, we got back in and started getting around each other and the team."

The first step was a confidence boost.

"The boys got together on the Sunday and had exit reviews on the Monday or Tuesday," he said.

"By the time we've got to Tuesday arvo it's only three days, four days post-GF but you're feeling a whole lot better about your year and your prospects going forward if you actually look at the positives.

"We handled the occasion. We weren't overawed. We jumped into the game early. If they hadn’t played our song when we ran out on the ground we might have had a chance at winning it.”

"There were some key moments that we've reflected on that we didn't execute our plan well enough ... (but) In the end, the team with the better club song won on the day."

Some players - like captain Scott Pendlebury - took their grand final recoveries into their own hands.

The Brownlow Medallist-winning skipper told SEN he listened to the club song again a week after the loss, but that some players hadn't been able to do so in full even until today.

“They get to the Cakewalk line and then they just crumble” Pendlebury said, his own lip visibly trembling.

On Friday, Buckley said he started Collingwood's pre-season with a review in the same way they treated every week in 2018.

"We had a look at the lyrics on paper when we came back to pre-season in the first week of December," he said. “But we didn’t sing it in case something bad happened. “

"We reviewed the GF the way we reviewed every game that we played last year.

"Coaches had a match committee review. Leaders did a leadership review. Individuals did their tapes (video, not audio of course).

"We normalised it as much as we possibly could” Buckley said. “But with the word Cakewalk reminding us every week that this should be the easiest thing in the world, we never had any hope of winning. The sooner we change the song, the sooner we’ll be able to win another flag”.

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm

^

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Mr. Green

E 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 am

period. full stop. end of thread!!!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:20 am

E, some on this BB have shown alarming pro-censorship tendencies for a long time, but that's really not like you at all. Your general attitude has always been anti-censorship.

For example,
E wrote:
and for the record, discussing **** is PRECISELY what we should be endlessly discussing during the off season. isn't that what this board was built for???????.

and
E wrote:
i find it odd that you were ok with an entire season of caustic "fire *******" threads and you never complained when EVERY single thread on ANY topic was turned into a "blame *******" thread, and yet, you react so strongly when people suggest **** especially since its the offseason and not many people are on this site and there simply ISNT much to talk about. So dumb!

And I agreed with you, then and in general -- as long as the discussion is respectful.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm

OMG you got me so bad at first! that is hysterical!! brilliant!!

and im still $£$%^%%$ pissed off!!!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi K.

This thread sure has proven to be interesting and thought provoking from a sociological and psychological point of view.

1) A topic is raised for discussion
2) It emerges that there is a majority (79%) and a minority view
3) Certain elements of the majority tell the minority to shut up and go away ie they express their wish to apply censorship to the minority. This is interesting in itself. Why are they so personally affronted by expression of the minority's view? Why don't they simply state their own case and ignore the minority?
4) Minority defends its right to express itself
5) Same elements of the majority begin to ridicule and personally abuse the minority. How come they feel so upset and threatened, that they have to resort to this? The minority is simply disagreeing with them. No big deal. It's not as if their very lives are under attack (or is it?)

I could go on and explain the psychological reasons for this extreme reaction from some of the majority elements, but realize that would be a fruitless exercise. They would just feel further threatened and affronted. Vicious circle.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm

As this thread has degenerated into little more than the exchange of petty insults, the mods have decided to invoke the mercy rule.

Sleep peacefully Neddy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25   

Jump to: