Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #9,#19,#22,#24#25,#29 Captain Percy Wilson (1889-1941)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
focrc 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 am
Post subject: Vale #9,#19,#22,#24#25,#29 Captain Percy Wilson (1889-1941)Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Wilson

Continuing on my search for Collingwood players/officials buried at the Cheltenham cemeteries, I'm hoping to confirm if Percy Wilson, two-time Collingwood Premiership player (1910 and 1917 as captain) is buried at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery.

The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers states:

"Wilson was a star rover and forward from the moment he arrived at Victoria Park. He had a bad run with injuries, braking his leg and his arm at various times. He even twisted an ankle when walking off the ground after a ground. Wilson was a clever, tricky rover who was a beautiful pass on the run. He revelled in burrowing under packs to get the ball and had tremendous stamina. With Highes and Minogue he formed a mighty ruck trio. He took over from the injured Jock McHale as skipper in 1917. He led the side in that and the following year and his play took on a new dimension when he was placed in the centre. Even when McHale returned to the playing field late in the year he was happy to let Wilson remain as skipper and he eventually led the side to the flag. IN 1919 he missed playing in a second flag because of a broken arm. He had missed the 1910 flag through injury. In 1921 he was approached to be captain-coach of Melbourne and even though Collingwood though he was finished as a footballer, he played another three years [for Melbourne]. He went to St Kilda briefly as coach, but after a few months was back at Melbourne. Wilson played for Victoria twice".

According to AFL Tables, Wilson did in fact play in the 1910 GF - see http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1910/030419101001.html

Wilson was born on 31 Mar 1889. That's all the info I have thanks to the legacy of football 'historians' to conveniently not record any other life details. That's how they disappear....

The Percy Wilson buried at Cheltenham died 3 Dec 1959 aged 70 together with his wife Beatrice (d 1964 aged 74).

Does anyone have any further info about Wilson such as his parents' name, when he married, wife's name, children etc?

Email: info@focrc.org
focrc 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...no match.

Percy Wilson d 1941 and was cremated at Springvale Necropolis
http://www.deceasedsearch.com/page-o6252996-en.html
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/611142?zoomLevel=2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8151742
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 pm
Post subject: Great P{layerReply with quote

Purse was a great Clubman and all round gentleman. He loved a beer and played his heart out whenever he put on the Colours. My old man said he knew him well and they drank together at the Victoria Park Social Club. RIP you old bugger! Champion!
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 pm
Post subject: Re: Great P{layerReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Purse was a great Clubman and all round gentleman. He loved a beer and played his heart out whenever he put on the Colours. My old man said he knew him well and they drank together at the Victoria Park Social Club. RIP you old bugger! Champion!

Any relation to Frank Wilson? (Old Jock Riley in The Club).
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 pm
Post subject: HmmmReply with quote

Not sure Jack my old man had some funny stories about the greatest years at Collingwood and the Social Club!
Krone und Adler 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi focrc

Not sure if you need more info on this?

Percy Wilson was my Great Grandfather. It is nice to know that an interest is still shown in him and what he achieved for the club and game, after so many years.

A few times a year I do searches on the internet to see whether there has been any further articles unearthed about him and his playing days (other than the various playing stats which are easily accessible). Hence, this forum came up when I did my searches.

Feel free to ask questions here or private message me.

best regards

tim
focrc 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Tim -

I hope the Collingwood Archives team read this and get in touch with you if they haven't made contact in the past.

It's (proud) descendants of these past players that have a wealth of material and a bucket load of enthusiasm, just what is needed to ensure they are not forgotten.

Sadly, I am only interested in the Cheltenham cemeteries, not just footballers though, but any person buried there with a story.
Krone und Adler 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi focrc

No the Archive Team hasn't been in touch, but would love to hear from them. Either way, I have also been meaning to get in touch with the club for a while regarding historic/ archive material.

I last visited the club about 20 years ago and we were shown around by a staff member but did not get much regarding history in our short visit. Then, as now, I live in QLD which makes frequent visits problematic. Still, am proud and very keen to learn more regarding Percy's contriubtion to the club other than what I currently know.

Thanks for your message too; all the best with your searches; hopefully the yield many stories .

best regards

Tim
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Always glad to see a bit more on our former players, a lot of them I've never seen play, so it's good to read information about them.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:15 pm

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/percy-wilson/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: