Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tony Shaw

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Banks 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 1999 1:38 am
Post subject: Tony ShawReply with quote

Tony Shaw may well be the man to coach in our current situation because of his strength of character, positive outlook and coolness under pressure. But it looks like he might have got us into this situation. Since he took over in 1996, he has turned over 39 players and has kept 18 of the list he inherited in 96. The 18 he kept his faith in is as follows, in a positional make-up.
B: Wild Richardson Prestigiacomo
HB: Godden Schauble Watson
C: Crosisca Buckley McDonald
HF: Crow Walker Williams
F: Brown S. Rocca Patterson
Ruck: Monkhurst Burns Orchard (2 years at Swans)
I believe only Buckley, Burns and Godden have
stepped up since then and Brown and Crosisca have continued their form. All others, in my opinion, have come up short of expectations or actually gone into retro-drive. Is this anything to do with coaching?

Adam Felton 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 1999 4:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

People keep saying that our team doesn't have the talent to win games but I don't think this is true anymore. Our recruiting may have been poor in the past but over the last two years it has been very promising. Although Tony was a great player from the outside it appears he can't get through to his players. Good coaches can make the most out of their players. Look what Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade have done with the players they had available. I don't think many people remember just how bad Sydney and Footscray were. I think in this new era of the club where we finally have a good off field "team" and our recruiting is good we also need to find a good coach. Mick Malthouse or Dermott Brereton are prime candidates. I only hope if they get rid of Shawy they don't put in Neil Balme or Robert Walls.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 1999 12:16 am

It's only a guess, but I suspect Shaw is a very good midfield coach, eg in the area of playing under pressure and use of handball.
this remains to be seen, given the promising new bunch we have.
Still I think we need a good forward coach (Daics?), and more sophisticated magoos coaching by the sound of it. Re forward coach, that might be a possible future or even present role for Walker.
Ps you have to take what you read in the media with a pinch of salt, at least half of it is pure bull-manure I'd say.
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 1999 5:32 am

I agree with your sentiments Bokka, it needs a lot of thought and I'm sure Mr. McPie is examining every option. Personally I'd get Phil Carman in as ressies coach based on his sheer presence, reported success and also for his unbelievable footy brain - can you remember that guy when he played!!!!
PS see Mick Malthouse has applied (ref Hotty's page)

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 1999 5:55 am

I have been waving good bye to Tony Shaw for the last four weeks. I have been a staunch Tony man but now feel he has to bear the brunt of the blame for the clubs current predicament.

The question is will anyone else do any better with our current players? The Rodney Eade and Terry Wallace parrallels do not run true. The Bulldogs had a decent player list that would not play for the coach, Sydney had bolstered its playing list in the years preceeding Eade's takeover with concession draft picks.

Collingwood has been a middle of the road team with a middle of the road player list for most of the last five years (since Mickey McGuane stopped playing regularly). Over the past two seasons we have dropped to a bottom of the pack player list, as we cleared some of the dead Wood.

In this situation we need a coach who can get the players to work and work and work. Everything else will come, as long as the players are with the coach. Any coach who steps in now would have to win the players over. How many candidates fit this bill and not currently coaching at AFL level, or doing some cushy media job. None I suspect.

------------------
Greg J
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 1999 6:47 am

quote:
Personally I'd get
Phil Carman in as ressies coach based on his sheer presence, reported success and also for his unbelievable footy brain

Carman sounds like a great idea. he has coaching experience in SA or something, deosnt he? I went to a game at Morrabin when we were also having a bad year, and we came from behind witha 11 goal last quarter, he was the star. Bit like Buckley, made it look easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: