Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Irresponsible or just plain lying headlines.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:45 am
Post subject: Irresponsible or just plain lying headlines.Reply with quote

Channel 9 hourly news update. Grandmother mowed down in hit and run.

OMG you think. Then they show footage of her bashing the car with a long solid object, like a block of wood. I mean did they kidnap her child or dog? Did they cut her off? I’m not victim blaming, but if someone came at my car like that, if I was worried for my life, I’d flatten it, I’d probably try to avoid the person, and I’d definitely drive straight to the police station.

I’m thinking more grandmother hurt in road rage incident,

As an aside, It needs to be highlighted. The woman last month who got ran over when she remonstrated with a truck. A friend had a gun pulled on him in sunshine years ago after an angry reaction to being cut off.

Yes I’m guilty of tooting and cracking it, but I’m not jumping in front of a truck or smashing someone’s windscreen.

I just think headlines can be very inflammatory for the wrong reasons.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlines are purposely designed to get you to click on the article. Yes, often they're misleading.

Another trick I've noticed is that some media will re-brand an article with a different headline over a few days, which also updates the publication date, so you see a headline and date, think it's a new article and once you click on it you realise you read this 3 days ago. Mad

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:46 pm

It's the lowlife world in which we live. The vilest amoral narcissists dominate both politics and the media, bringing out the worst in everyone and making it impossible for a very large proportion of the population to think straight.

On its own, each instance seems trivial. But flood people's lives with such rot, and entire thought fields become warped and dissociated from reality.

I think the extent and overall impact is far more dire than people grasp, because sophisticated information collection, reasoning and decision making are quite literally the what separates us from other apes. The result is an inability to solve complex problems.

When people's judgement is so bad they vote for a compulsive liar, rapist and deranged conman like Trump, justifying and normalising such a vile, capricious creep, you know they've lost their grip on judgement en masse. It really is like talking to zombies. And other countries are now only marginally better than the US.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:29 pm

Yeah I totally agree!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: