Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#26 Reef McInnes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

WHICH AFL ‘NOBODIES’ WILL BECOME ‘SOMEBODIES’ IN 2024?
Reef McInnes – Collingwood
Tim Gossage

“It’s Reef McInnes for me,” Gossage said.
“It’s really hard to break into that Collingwood team. But I just think (he will break out).
“It will be his third year in the system. I think he plays forward. I reckon he's sort of the next in line behind a Jamie Elliott type.
“He can sting through the midfield if needed. I think Reef McInnes is a player.
“I look forward to seeing him become a somebody this year.
“I think he's had a solid pre-season.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/03/03/which-afl-nobodies-will-become-somebodies-in-2024/

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:35 pm

If he could overcome his stage fright and nail those shots on goal he has, he'd already be in our best 22. To my mind, he looks and moves like an elite athlete, but let's us down regularly with poor finishing. If he can get over his nerves, he certainly has the attributes to be a very good player for us.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:04 am

After the Saints game, where he kicked three excellent opportunist goals, it seemed like Reef was the answer to some of our forward line problems and obviously a big improvement on Johnson. Since then, he's kicked one goal in each of his two games and otherwise not been much of a factor.

I feel his spot would be at risk if there was someone putting their hand up in the VFL, but so far there don't seem to be any obvious alternatives except perhaps Harrison – who isn't exactly a like-for-like replacement – so I expect he'll stay in the team for a little longer at least. How does everyone else see how he's going?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:13 am

^
I think he's doing well. He's competing well and putting himself in good positions, considering he's really a 3rd tall being asked to play KPP and getting the oppositions best key defender.
If he keeps competing, it will come in time.

The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:58 am

I thought he was ok last night kicked 1 nearly a 2nd and my goodness the mark in the goal square in the third

Gary Ablett senior would have been given 4 marks of the year for Mark but the commentators do not want to hear about him. Brayshaw called him as Fin last week. So if the commentators do not know him then the umps will not support him

Provide 2nd and 3rd efforts he is never going to be plugger or the duck but is providing a better target more than I expected.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:04 pm

^ Yeah, I thought he was stiff there too.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^
I think he's doing well. He's competing well and putting himself in good positions, considering he's really a 3rd tall being asked to play KPP and getting the oppositions best key defender.
If he keeps competing, it will come in time.

That’s a pretty reasonable summary. The “ kid “ has just turned 21 and it took the club his first two years just to decide where to play him. If he’s going to play as a forward, then for him especially, it’s now about increasing his upper body strength and learning the position. He’s a genuine hybrid tall, so as long as he keeps improving, his skill set should allow him to trial elsewhere if others should pass him by as a forward. Right now, he’s still very much a blank canvas, we just need to hope its Picasso who holds the paint palette.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:25 pm

hes the replacement for Billy Elliott if he gets injured or when he retires.

Hes not currently playing in position, hes far too short.

would he be getting a game if our Squad was fully fit?
Mcstay/Kruger is ahead of the position hes currently playing and Billy doesnt look like hes going anywhere anytime soon... plus is ability to roll into the mids to help out is substantial.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:13 pm

^^^

Are you sure you know who you’re talking about? Reef is 195cm and still filling out. He’s taller than Mihocek (192cm) and a haircut shorter than both McStay (196cm) and Kreuger (196cm). Not saying he’s the answer but his height isn’t what’s holding him back. If anything he’s too tall to be a replacement for Elliott…we’ve got heaps of those.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 am

Keep playing McInnes. Good experience. 1 goal a game is better than none and Checkers needs some chop. McInnes is fast and should be playing that 3rd role but is out of position due to our lack of a two fit key forwards. That hasn’t stopped our mids kicking like we have 2 giant forwards in one one contests though.

All of our forwards will benefit if our mids are coached how to kick into the fwd 50. That happens and we’ll be celebrating a lot more

Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:15 am

I too, like McInnes. Let him settle in the FF position.
He's a good lead and can take a strong mark.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:38 am

woodys_world69 wrote:

Hes not currently playing in position, hes far too short.

Same height as Charlie Curnow...

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:45 am

I think he shows plenty. I know we're all desperate for Tony Lockett, but these guys take time and he is super young. Didnt get as much of a look last year (and thats the cost of winning a flag), and its incredibly difficult to look like a millionaire when your midfield barely get the ball forward as happened in the last half of the Hawks game (Hill, Elliott, Schultz didne see much action either).

I think he's a gun forward in the making. It just takes time. In 2018, when he was the same age as Reef, Curnow played 20 games, kicked 34.20 and averaged 14 touches a game. Now the blues were rubbish (2 wins) which probably makes that acheivement a little more noteworthy, but I would also hazard a guess that he was getting targetted a lot, whereas Reef is one of many experience dplayers we have up forward. I'm not saying Reef will be Curnow, but I am saying that we need to keep giving him opportunities, and if he keeps contributing (like he has in the last 2 games), then get back to me when he's 25 years old...

Rex 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:06 pm

When we drafted Reef he was playing as an inside mid. He’s got speed,agility and good hands. He tends to use the ball well and has a shooting accuracy of 5.1 this year. As others have noted he’s taller than he looks and once he gets more upper body strength he’s going to be hard to match up on. I’d like to see him playing third tall behind McStay and Mihocek.
He could quickly take his game to another level by playing to his strength and leading hard and more often. In the practice match against Richmond he charged and jumped and the defender had no chance. Too often on Sunday we had a mark outside 50 and there was no movement at all ahead, just telegraphed bombs to undersized, out numbered forwards. I imagine Ginnivan had told Hawthorn what to look for.
So I want Reef to lead fast and often and I want to see the leads honoured. At least that disrupts the set defence, takes a defender from Mihocek and is less likely to end in a simple defensive mark.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pm

Said by Zed wrote:
^^^

Are you sure you know who you’re talking about? Reef is 195cm and still filling out. He’s taller than Mihocek (192cm) and a haircut shorter than both McStay (196cm) and Kreuger (196cm). Not saying he’s the answer but his height isn’t what’s holding him back. If anything he’s too tall to be a replacement for Elliott…we’ve got heaps of those.

Correct. Actually, it's his relatively light frame which prevents him from having more of a presence as a KPP. He may never bulk up much more, meaning he'll be better suited as a 3rd tall. Unfortunately, in the absence of MacStay, he's having to play as a KPP. So far, he is coming along nicely. As he gets more confidence, he'll steadily improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: