Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#18 Finlay Macrae

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^I've watched enough of him in the reserves and in turn the seniors to suggest he doesn't possess the 5 gears required to be a top line performer; in particular the position of inside mid we require.
To me he's the equivalent of an automatic, so don't expect high performance. Unlike a car, it's much harder to drop the required parts into a player to get performance. After 4 years he'll need to show more otherwise he'll be the list equivalent of being put on the blocks in the front yard.

No-one in any of these posts has suggested his innate and unique properties that would suggest he's going to evolve into a top-line senior midfielder. Does he have elite hands, an elite kick, an elite turn of speed, endurance or head over the ball tenacity? It's been little more than the hyperbole of draft day hopes and dreams.

The only real insight that I found tangible was ~
Pies2016 wrote:
The reason for the back story is that it highlights how a couple of more highly touted Vic midfielders than MacRae, have also struggled to find consistency in the seniors. The conclusion formed was the lack of footy for two years has hampered their development dramatically. If you think about it, they would have to be AT LEAST 12 months behind where they would normally be, had they played through.

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
We do put Horns or Halo's on players, Macrae has a Halo.

What do we hope he develops into? A run-with midfielder that can hurt you offensively in the style of say Hawthorns Finn Maginness?

Let's look at his draft year - https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2020
We pretty much picked the eyes out of the draft outside of R1 selections in Beau McCreery with 63 games to date, there's daylight to 2nd most games with Freo's Brandon Walker at 46.
At 70 games, only the Swans academy selection Errol Gulden is ahead of him.

Reality is he hasn't come on or shown the signs that he can carry the load physically or mentally. That said, prove us wrong. I'd still play him and throw him up against the young Hawks mid-field this week, that's an audit in itself. Having had the vest put on against Brisbane, don't smash the remaining confidence he has. Start him and play Crisp as a sub again. Macrae gets another opportunity and Crispy's unbroken games record remains intact...

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:39 pm

....or play Crisp and Macrae and make Lipinski the sub.

There was a lot of hype pre-season about how Lipinski would rip the game apart this year. To my mind, however, he has been fairly ordinary in each game. Maybe he needs to be made the sub to remind him to play with more vigour and physicality.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:48 pm

I expect Lipinski given his tank and the fact that he goes untagged to run around and find the ball 25-30 times. Yet he fails to do that week in week out.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:09 pm

Has he got the ability to move from VFL to AFL that’s a question

Will Lachie Sullivan or at some stage Harry DeMattia -or even a McCreery take the position they expected Fin to take

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:57 am

Gee Max Holmes was taken P18 by Geelong straight after we took Macrae
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:04 am

Not much point worrying about that. It was a difficult year to select anyone and project what they'd be in 4 years. Most draft picks for most clubs most years are busts. We actually did very well in 2020 - the first, 3rd and 4th players we took are all solid performers. Of course, the 2020 draft would look much better for us if the slug we took first hadn't slimed off to Geelong.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:16 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
Gee Max Holmes was taken P18 by Geelong straight after we took Macrae

I should have married my second ex-wife's best friend.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:54 pm

Cam wrote:
^

Hahaha 🤣…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14   

Jump to: