Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

McKernan & Lloyd GONE: Graham is the go

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 2:51 pm
Post subject: McKernan & Lloyd GONE: Graham is the goReply with quote

Just heard on the news that both McKernan and Lloyd have now signed long-tern contratcs with their clubs.

Remoinds me of what I posted here a month or so ago about going after BEN GRAHAM as our top priority. He now seems to be the only "big gun" available.

Interesting to also note in today's paper that Shaw has said Collingwood's first priority should be a "genuine full-back" so that Presti, Schauble and Michael don't have to play on the gun forwards (he was replying to a question about Cummings' 7-goal effort).

Is there anyone besides Graham that is a realistic ahcance of us snaring? I know that he is unhappy at Catland, and has refused the deal they have put on the table.
Bill Banks 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 1999 1:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

If Malthouse is going to coach us, he'll build his wall across the half back line, probably with Burns doing the job of Bluey McKenna (and better) and Anthony Rocca doing a Jakovich (even better), while Malthouse further develops Tarrant, Michael, Kinnear, Tuckey etc across half forward.
The players Malthouse will miss most are Cousins and Braun. If he can't get a goal-kicking rover in the draft, I don't like his chances of producing one. Orchard slows down the closer he gets to the 50 metre zone. Jacotine has run and goal-kicking potential and maybe King can improve in this area but not overnight. Buckley feeds the forwards more than kick them himself.
Lloyd and McKernan would have been handy in the draft, but, after Ben Graham, Collingwood should be going for an on-baller who can penetrate the 50 metres. Most of the top sides have them.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 1999 2:46 am

Agreed that Ben Graham would be a good pick up as we do need a strong tall backman to take the Careys, Richardsons, Lloyds etc....however I reckon we would be mad not to cash in on the Peter Everitt, Tim Watson feud and chase the big fella as well.

Spider is still young and an extremely versatile player. He would solve our immediate ruck problem with Monkey's limited remaining life span and is another marking forward option.

I can see the merit in Willow possibly being used as a trade, however I reckon we should try to keep him, because of his experience in what will be a very young, inexperienced side next year. For a player of Everitt's quality we should be offering an early draft pick for him.

------------------
Damien
Mick 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 1999 3:29 am

I think that while Graham would be ideal for the Club he has publicly stated he wants a 3 year deal before heading to the US. Do we only want players half-committed to the Club ? He is the calibre of player we are realistically going to pick up - Lloyd & McKernan were pipe dreams (would we let Bucks go?).

I wouldn't touch Everitt. Great ability but serious question marks over his character. The one thing Shawry has managed to get right is to ensure that the playing list contains quality people.

Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 1999 12:14 pm

I reckon if in 3 years time Ben Graham is playing well and at a successful club he might put back his move to the States.

He would be a great pick up for us but i guess it depends on what we'll have to give up to get him.

As for Peter Everitt, he could really transform us into a finals contender. I rate him as the best ruck in the league, and he can go forward when he's struggling.

Sure he may be a bit naughty sometimes, but it's been a bit boring around the club since the 'Whizz Kid' (Aaron James) left.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 1999 2:15 am

hmm, i wouldn't read too much into what AFL update says, they rate up there with sports tooshite on channel 10 as far as accuracy is concerned.
would everitt really be worth getting for williams? Especially when we will be getting a potential star ruckman in fraser
Pugsville 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 1999 8:06 am

Graham - Could be the only quality backman of the market this trading season and he would be in the top catergory of F/B CHB. His limited commitment is the only problem, bu he is interested in money and geelong are broke.

Everitt - I'd instantly take the willo/richo for everitt deal, Willow is a quality player who lacks consistancy or ability to deal with tags, Richo one of the finest all round complete hacks to ever play the game (he's a average hack but he's 1/2 good at lamost everything and that makes him useful.) But we NEED a ruckman (monky has given great service but is on his last legs, you know he has four strapping sons, he married a giant. All their names begin with Z I think, but the oldest is only 6 or something, but come 2010 look out for Z Monkhurst via the father/son rule) and everit is in the top shelf. Josh Fraser evenb if he has enormuorus talent is a punt, big guys take time and don;t always work out, he would be about three to five years from being THE answer to monkys decline. We will need someone in the mean time at the very least I don't think that Ant and Richo are the answer ALL next year and the year after. I would be cautious about trading top draft pick AND willow. But either and something else for Spider would be good value. (I would still loveto see willow dominating in black and white).

Presti - The dark horse keeps getting better git the scalps of grant, holland and now richo this year. Unstylish and much malignled. He has taken a step up. He has started to believe in himself a bit, he actually doesn't pause to think before disposing (you could actually see him thinking/paniacing with the ball last year) he's doing the job (ugly but suprisingly effective this year) but another quality tall in defence (Graham!) would really help.

Malthouse - I want this man to coach the pies. We should nail him even if it means having a caretaker this year. Gary Lyon should be snapped up as asistant at the earliest. I think Lyon would be a great coach and we should not hesitate to offer him a role. Brereton shuld also be offered a role (coach the roccas for $100,000 a year or wahtever) We should also look at Paul Roos, or Brian Royal.

Pugs.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 3:00 am

A few more comments, opinions:

IF we get Malthouse, he must be given licence to appoint his own coaching panel. If that means that Wheadon etc...are sent packing, so be it.

Spider Everitt is the real deal, cast your mind back to 1997, he was the best tall in the AFL and can play anywhere. He may have attitude but he's not quite Aaron James (He's better on and off the field)

Another player that is coming out of contract that we should look at is Brent Harvey from North Melbourne. He has played 60 games, is 21 yrs old and played for the Vics this year. He knows where the goals are too.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 11:02 am

brent harvey would be a brilliant pick-up. he'd compliment the new tall forwards that we have that all have a lot of talent - tarrant, sav, pebbles, kinnear, tuckey, browny, wazza. still don't reckon we should get everitt. though i think his character is suited to collingwood in a strange way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: