Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mick Quits

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 11:00 am
Post subject: Mick QuitsReply with quote

Mick Malthouse just announced he is heading back to Melbourne at the end of this season.

I just finished listening to the press conference. It went for around 20 minutes and was very tedious.

He said it is a purely a family decision why he is going back, as he has family members that are very sick.

He finished by saying he definately has not signed or agreed to a coaching role with any club. Although his manager has had many offers made by Vic clubs.

Over the last couple of days the word over here in the West is that he may well end up at Richmond.

ZED 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 12:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Plow,
Malthouse has told Richmond to stick their contract up their jumper (THE HERALD SUN 31/08/99) In Melbourne there are three places where Malthouse is expected to coach Collingwood,Collingwood and Collingwood. Eddie is a personal friend of Malthouse. Anyway Eddie doesnt look worried and gives everyone the impression he has a coach. All will be revealed when WCE are elimated from the finals.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 1:57 pm

malthouse will coach the pies next year. it's a certainty.
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 2:52 pm

fella's i wouldn't get too worried about what the wet alsatian reports here in the west - are they ever terribly accurate about matters pertaining to eastern states clubs?

anyway richmond have got several stars coming out of contract and wont have the money to throw at malthouse that we will, so they`ll be generally speaking f#cked if they can lure a coach with any huge price tag.
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 3:06 pm

and matt that joke about ric charlesworth was somewhat funny just didn't seem to have a defined punchline thats all.
unless ric has spent most of his life-time around the game/and or played it at the highest level he would never in this life-time cut it as a coach at senior level.
you have to be a master tactician and have a good experienced football brain to succeed in AFL coaching.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 1999 2:26 am

Intersting to note the mood in Perth compared to here in Melbourne, admittedly things have cooled slightly on the Malthouse, Collingwood deal, but I think that is simply cos both parties have refused to comment for several weeks now.

As Zed said, The HS reports that Richmond have made it clear that they have approached Mick's manager and been told that he is not interested.

The latest is that they are going hard for Gary Lyon, who if he goes wants to take Balmey with him. I think Balmey is pretty happy working under a stable board at Collingwood, but I guess his future depends on how he gets along with Mick Malthouse.

If in fact Mick hasn't signed (although I reckon he definately has)then we should keep Gary Ayres in mind. he is definately leaving Geelong, its a matter of where he goes to.

------------------
Damien
ZED 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 1999 1:03 pm

Matt,
Your correct coaching staff dont come under the salary cap.
Richmond dont seem to be in fianicial trouble because they allegedly offered Kevin Sheedy $3 million over 5 years.($600000 per year)
Thats what Collingwood has offered Malthouse.
Malthouse said on TEN NEWS (1700 EST)in an interview from his daughter that he has been released of his contract with WCE and is looking to coach a Victorian Team but would not spit out the word Collingwood.OR DENY IT>

Dino 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 2:21 am

CORRECTION!

Rick Charlesworth played hockey for Australia and I think he was captain.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 2:31 am

Richmond are after looking closely at Gary Lyon and it has been suggested that Gary would like to work closely with Neil Balme and may look to poach him from the Pies as the new Tiger football Manager. I guess it depends how Balmey and Mick Malthouse get along, whether he'd consider leaving Collingwood or not.

------------------
Damien
Pugsville 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 7:03 am

Ric Charlesworth - he played hookey his entire life, representing australia in four olpmpics, was cpatian of the side during that heartbreak period where they won everything and were virtually undefeated in international competition but blew it in the olpmpics to miss out twice (in fact all four times) Ric then coached the women to olpmic gold. Ric Charlesworth also at one time opened that batting for WA in the shield (I'm unsure how many games) was a medical doctor, holds a pilot licenece and was a federal member of parliment (one of the only guys to stand up to packer at those hearings) I would not be surprised if did play some football and was fairly handy. He definitely has a lot of talent, a bit of a renaiacnce man. I would not put him up for senior coach but he could be an asset to any coaching panel. I have alwys told people to conside Ferginson from Man U as he knows about domanice and winning the big ones.

Mick Malthouse - I think anyone would have rocks in their head to coach richmond 10 coaches in twenty years. I thnk there have only been about 15 pie coaches all up. (some could check that number Jock McHale, Kyne, Rose, Cahill, Hafey, Rose , lethal, Shaw and add eight I can;t think of ) Mick Malthouse hasn't talked or cut any deal , but his management agent has done some serious talking and would have been breifed by MM on what his demands were. There have been several comments by MM about how collingwood are going about thigs the right way for long term sucess , and have recuited some goo dyoung talent. I think he's near certain to be caoching the woods about 2 weeks after the robots exit the finals. I do worry that he might be a trifle defensive. Richmond have yet to face their crisis. The pies have and taken drastic action every section of the club has been critical reviewed and many chnages made. I think the recuiting staff have been doing a good job scince they were changed. In about three years we have almost totally rebuilbt the playing list who has been at collingwood mor ethan three years ? ( and before you answer that await end of year clean out, sorry guys) football department, coaching staff. There are leaving no stone unturned. Richmond just sack the coach every two years and have been going along we the same team of almost but not quite for years. They need to face it that the current player stocks at richmond will never win a flag and have to take some tough descions axe some guys and reciuit some young talent. We are about three years ahead of richmond. Oops now where was I. No don't worry about MM coaching elsewhere. I would like to see Gary Lyon taken on as assitent coach (no offensive to Danny Frawley who I want retained ). It would be good to have a forward amongst the coaches too many backmen.

Pugs. Go Pies. Go Woods.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 1:21 am

tend to agree with pugsville, i would never put charlesworth up for senior coaching role, as we would be the laughing stock of the AFL.i give you the proverb of jack of all trades, master of none. although maybe master of hockey. Players have got to respect the coach they are playing under and as richmond have proved time and time again no matter how good the coach if the respect isn't there the players lose confidence and the team suffers.
How can players respect a guy who says yeah sh!t i wouldn't mind that afl thingo i`ll give that a bash, doesn't have a coaching track record at any level and hasn't ever played the game at any high level? (ie WAFL, SANFL, VFL/AFL, TFL).
while it may be bold to say he may never cut it as a coach, theres a fair chance he`ll never do so cause no-one would take him on. he'd have to coach under 19's or reserves for about 5 years to prove himself for a start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: