Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Shaw Legacy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed healey 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 7:04 pm
Post subject: The Shaw LegacyReply with quote

Im not even going to think about the shaven head deal,as at my age(weve won 3 flags in my lifetime)it may not be a good idea.

But Tony Shaw cops heaps from supporters these days re his coaching and recruiting efforts.

One thing sticks in my mind at start of 99 he said that the list now contained some kids that in time would be great players for collingwood in years to come.
And there are about a dozen or so of his recruits left for MM to give the polish to and they will be good players just as Shawy said and when Pope McGuire asked him to step aside midseason he knew this and gracefully saw out the season and joined the media.

Some are not happy with his comments ,but lets face it he has a new job,and to keep it,must talk controversy,he does this,and to my mind sums up a game pretty well in the commentary box,so good luck to this former champ.

Before anyone else puts the boots into shaw,remember MM finished 15th last year and the jurys still out on if he has a clue on what a forward line looks like.
I have grave doubts .

But Im hoping.
on with the season and no Shaw bashing he did his best for the pies and now has another job to do.

joffa#brutus 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ed,im sorry mate but im going to disagree with you ok shaw was a great player and a thucken ripper of a captain,and im afraid my praise for this fellow ends there.We are still suffering because of this guy,the recruiting whilst he was coach was bloody shameful and this reflected his coaching ability which to say the least was bloody shite.I am also dissapointed with him because since his retirement he has been most critical of collingwood i find this embarrassing and hurtful the stuff he generally criticizes was implemented under his reign as coach.We are proud to love this guy but he should show a little more respect to a club and its people who genuinly would bleed for collingwood.So ed i say to you yes he was a great collingwood captain and i love him heaps,but as a coach i confidently say he has a lot to answer for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 3:07 am

I agree with Joffa,

Ed don't confuse playing and coaching. The man is a legend when playing, but unfortunately couldn't cut it as a coach.

For every one year of his coaching it has set us back two years in playing personal.

I have been told he frequently disagreed with Judkins.
One example was that Judkins told Shaw and Weadon not to recruit Olarenshaw because of his bad injury history, but no Shaw and Weadon decided to give up 12th pick in the draft and we know who was picked up at that stage.
Shaw was peasant like in his thinking and coaching.

Just look at the player turnaround since Mick has been here.

Go pies go MM
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:27 pm

Shaw's recruiting and long term vision could have virtually destroyed the club. In his latter stages as coach, his recruiting and choice of player left a great deal to be desired.
It wa sindeed hurtful to hear commentary from Shaw that Collingwood was years away from being a genuine flag contender. Looking at it no perhaps its not far from the truth but surely did he think like this in his second last year, which was his third year as coach. In total that would mean a rebuilding process of seven years if he stands by his recent comments.Not good Shawy. Wild, Oborne, Godden,Patterson,Jamie Tape,Jacotine,Stuart Mangin, Michael Gardniner...all players who virtually had only limited abilities. Was Shaw drawn to these types because of his own deficiencies. Was it worth while perservering with Jason Wild when it was crystal clear to us in the outter that he did not have what it takes. Or was the 22 on his back a factor. Sav Rocca was mauled and Pebbles was stifiled in his development under Rocca. Under Matthers Rocca kicked 93 goals in one season.I'am bitter about it and no amount of reflection on his playing days at Collingwood makes me feel any better about our current predicament. No Favours here Shawy, keep walking and dont make a buck kicking us when were down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: